Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Book Review: The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams


There can only be one allegiance.
It’s her time to choose.


Some humans can see the fae. McKenzie Lewis can track them, reading the shadows they leave behind. But some shadows lead to danger. Others lead to lies.

A Houston college student trying to finish her degree, McKenzie has been working for the fae king for years, tracking vicious rebels who would claim the Realm. Her job isn’t her only secret. For just as long, she’s been in love with Kyol, the king’s sword-master—and relationships between humans and fae are forbidden.

But any hope for a normal life is shattered when she’s captured by Aren, the fierce and uncompromising rebel leader. He teaches her the forbidden fae language and tells her dark truths about the Court, all to persuade her to turn against the king. Time is running out, and as the fight starts to claim human lives, McKenzie has no choice but to decide once and for all whom to trust and where she ultimately stands in the face of a cataclysmic civil war.


My Review:
I had high hopes for this book-gorgeous cover, kickass female, lots of action...but for me it all fell flat as soon as the kidnapping occured.

McKenzie tracks shadows the fae leave behind, allowing her to find the rebels who want to overthrow her King. Naturally the rebels need to capture her to save themselves, but instead of killing her they want to convert her to their cause. So what does our kickass heroine think when she is taken by the rebels? Ooh the rebel leader is attractive and in ten seconds flat I'm no longer thinking about the swordsman she has loved for over ten years, I'm thinking about this guy. A man who is holding you captive, who wants to overthrow the King you serve, maybe kill some of your friends and force you all to live under his rule. But that doesn't matter because he's HOT!

Bloody love triangles. Authors of fantasy and urban fantasy seem to be obsessed with throwing this into a story that does not need it. If I WANTED paranormal romance I'd grab one of the books with squirming couples on the front!!! In this book, McKenzie swoons over Kyol and declares her love for him but as soon as she sees Aren, oh all she can think about is him instead which makes her question her loyalty to everything she ever stood for. Right, like THAT is realistic. When I walk to the shops and see an attractive guy in front of me, I suddenly fall madly in love, decide to vote for the political party he supports, start adoring his football team and so on. I find this kind of thing so annoying-that a single smouldering look or touch from a man can turn a tough girl into a pathetic lovesick puppy. And this lust after my captor stuff bugs me. If I'm a western woman and I get captured by terrorists who are killing my people, I'm going to be scared senseless that I'm going to be raped and killed, not looking to see if the guards are cute.

McKenzie is not kickass. She flounces about, throwing stroppy tantrums, moons after a guy who has been stringing her along for ten years, falls instaluv for a rebel leader/terrorist and behaves like a sulky teenager. When you find a book that you roll your eyes at several times by chapter three, you know you are in trouble and I rapidly lost interest in the plot, which of course takes a back seat to her love issues.

A good idea spoiled by cliche plot devices and a spoiled brat MC. 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, and there I was really hopeful about the cover. *pout*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cover isn't it? THat's what caught by eye. I traded it to a friend and she seems to like it though...

      Delete
  2. Oh boy. I have this one here on the shelf, I think. I was hoping it'd be more. *sigh* Maybe some day I'll get to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a bit of a rant about this didn't I...! There's a good chance that you'll have more patience with the book than I had though!

      Delete