Friday, 23 October 2015

The Reading Habits Tag



I've seen this tag around but decided it was time to play! I saw the latest version and tag invitation over on Alma's great blog: http://journeythroughfiction.blogspot.ie/

1) Do you have a certain place for reading at home?

I mainly read in bed. After dinner at night I go up to my room, flop down on the bed and read or watch Tv or whatever. If I'm reading something short or getting something finished, I read at the computer but this is rare.

2) Bookmark or random piece of paper? 

I collect bookmarks but I never use my pretty new additions in my books-I store them away. I get free bookmarks advertising services and products from shops and libraries and use them in my books so it doesn't matter if they get damaged!

3) Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter or a certain number of pages? 

I like to complete a chapter if I can but if I'm tired and the chapter end is a long way away I just stop for the night. Sometimes I get distracted by other things I need to do and I have to put the book down straight away. So it doesn't matter too much. If I'm using an ereader, I just stop where I feel like stopping.

4) Do you eat or drink when reading? 

Yes! I tend to eat crisps or chocolate (being careful to avoid choccie handprints on the book!) and I like to maybe have a hot chocolate in winter when I curl up in my warm bed with a good book! The crumbs are dead annoying though so I have a small hand held hoover on standby!

5) Do you watch TV or listen to music whilst reading? 

I put something like Sky News on in the background with the sound down so I can watch out for breaking news or maybe put on some sport, which I can follow while I read. I find music distracting as I start singing along (badly!!!) and lose my concentration! 

6) One book at a time or several at once?

I prefer to concentrate on one book at a time. Sometimes if I feel like a change of genre I will start a new book while I gradually finish the first one. If I'm starting two books at once, one would be fiction, the other a history book or biography or something. I do prefer one at a time though.

7) Reading at home or everywhere? 

I do almost all my reading at home as I'm not out and about much. I will take an ereader to an appointment in case there is a delay and I always take it on holiday. But I don't carry it around with me on a daily basis. 

8) Reading out loud or silently in your head?

Oh silently, always! I HATE being in the room with someone who reads out loud! On the few occasions where I'm reading at my computer, my dad insists on reading the newspaper aloud to me which drives me bonkers!

9) Do you ever read ahead or skip passages? 

Rarely but I do like to sometimes check on the survival and well being of the dog! I like to know if he is safely rescued so I can relax a bit! Other than that, I only skip passages or read ahead for review purposes. If I plan to DNF a book, if I'm making a point that nothing is happening, I like to check ahead so I can say exactly when something happens, to help me make my point. 

10) Breaking the spine or keeping it new? 

EEK! New, always! I try to preserve the spines for as long as I can! I hate seeing those creases appear! One of my friends takes a HAMMER to the spine of every new book she buys to 'break it in nicely'...I could WEEP for those poor books! I also hate dog eared corners and any kind of book assault!

11) Do you write in your books? 

*Shudder* Not a chance! I write notes in a journal or scraps of paper to help me with future book reviews but I never deface the books!

That was fun! Are you interested in taking part and answering the questions? 
Then I TAG YOU! 

If you are taking part or have done this tag previously, let me know in the comments so I can visit your tag and read your answers!



4 comments:

  1. One of my friends takes a HAMMER to the spine of every new book she buys to 'break it in nicely'

    WHAAAAAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have psycho friends! The thought of her doing that...if I witnessed it I'd be wrestling the hammer out of her hands!

      Delete
  2. YAY, so glad you did the tag, Chuckles! I love your answers :D But, a hammer to the spines?! Oh those precious books! Those poor spines!! I would be freaking out if I saw that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was horrified when she told me! If there was someone I could report her to for book cruelty then I'd do it! I know some sick and twisted people...!

      Delete