Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Book Review: To Walk the Night by ES Moore (Kat Redding #1)


Even a vampire has to face her inner demons…

Kat Redding is the very thing she hunts: a vampire, thirsting for blood, capable of killing any creature unlucky enough to get in her path. The difference is, Kat kills her own kind in order to protect human Purebloods. She’s good at what she does. Good enough to earn the nickname Lady Death—and the enmity of every bloodthirsty being around. But now a vampire Count is intent on merging his House with a werewolf cult to create a force of terrifying power.

Kat can’t allow that to happen. Even if it means taking on a den of weres and a vampire more ruthless than any she’s encountered before. She has the weapons, the skill, and a few allies. But that may not be enough to eliminate the Count before her own dark nature rises to the surface—and costs her whatever is left of her humanity…


My Review:
Kat was a vampire hunter with her brother until they were captured. Kat was turned but her brother fared much worse. After killing her captors and escaping, Kat goes out to hunt the monsters in revenge, helped by the human she rescued called Ethan who provides her with every gadget she needs to do her job. Now a werewolf worshipping cult have uncovered her identity and and want her to destroy a Vampire House who are trying to enslave them.

There was a lot to like about this book. It was a dark and gritty urban fantasy where the author concentrated on plot and character development instead of bringing in dumb insta-luv rubbish, so well done for that. I liked Kat-she is a tortured soul and is having trouble dealing with what happened to her, becoming the monster she was trained to kill, and only feeling alive when she is killing vampires. Usually this type of character with all the added angst might put me off a book, but although sometimes it was a little overdone, I got why she was like that and cut her some slack. I do hope in later books that she does develop a little more personality but for this book I was happy enough with her. And boy is she kickass!

I really liked Ethan. I think he was vastly underused in this book and if we saw more of their normal relationship, it would give Kat a few more human touches and make her nicer. Instead Ethan is mostly confined to popping up like Q in the James Bond films with a new gadget to give her. I want to see much more of him and I was intrigued by his big secret which is going to cause lots of trouble for both of them in future books.

I was also interested in various members of the cult. Jonathan has a troubled history but he was an honest character who was prepared to deal with one monster to kill many others and save his people. I liked how his friendship with Kat started to take effect despite lack of trust, though their communication skills over the planned attack lead to problems. If you are going to work together, you must share all relevant facts! However that is a minor plot niggle.

I liked the violent action scenes and the fact that the monsters were proper monsters that will kill you. I liked the fact that some of the monsters were harder to kill, which added a new dimension to the later fight scenes. The author was skilled at ramping up the tension and keeping things interesting.

So yes I did like the book. I just felt it lacked that extra little something to really make it rock and I think the addition of a little snarky humour and more interactions with Ethan might have been what I was looking for. However, decent start to the series and I'll probably give the next book in the series a try.


star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

4 comments:

  1. This one sounds quite interesting, but not something that I would be in any rush to read myself. Kat sounds like a character that I might struggle to like, which usualy makes enjoying a book really hard if I don't like the main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she was pretty dark and grim and I do think some readers will struggle to like Kat. I hope she has a little less angst in the next one as the series has potential. I'm the same, I struggle to read a book if I don't like the MC!

      Delete
  2. I am sure I have this on a book shelf at home somewhere. I may need to dig it out. How many are in the series - like I need another long series in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete