Thursday, 8 October 2015

Book Review: The Fearless by Emma Pass


The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.


My Review:
I read ACID and did not like it at all. I was left with the same feeling after reading this book by the same author. Again I had such high hopes based on the blurb but I did not enjoy the outcome.

This time it started out ok. Cass and her family are getting ready to flee Britain for an exclusive island owned by their rich neighbours, where they will be safe from The Fearless, zombie like creatures who turn humans. By the time Cass is safe on the island, she is looking after her brother in a community full of rules where nobody seems to like her. The escape at the start of the book was interesting but as soon as we get to island life, I started to dislike the book.

Yet again, the big drawback was the characters. Under her current circumstances, I didn't expect Cass to be kick ass or anything but she is not the most interesting of characters. The way she is treated is shocking. Ian was the one who rescued her but he hates her now because her mother's suicide upset people. How is this her fault? Does picking on a child make you feel like The Big I Am??? Her former best friend Sol is the worst kind of asshat EVER. He picks on Cass constantly and then sulks because she has no interest in marrying him? Ooh I wonder why! He is rude, spite, nasty and obnoxious and I wanted him to die. He is abusive and possessive and yet Cass never seems to fully brush him off, considering saying yes to him to enlist his help in her rescue mission. Frankly I hated everyone on the stupid island and hoped for a The Fearless to come over and kill everyone. No such luck.

The whole 'my brother has been kidnapped' thing was so far fetched within the story the author had set up. The Fearless grab her father and turn him in minutes but we are expected to believe that they will decide to keep her brother alive and intact until she gets a chance to escape the island and rescue him? That sounded pretty far fetched for this bunch of smart soldier creatures.

The story is very very slow in the beginning with all the bullying and the capture of the invader and his budding friendship with Cass. Of course we then had the darn instaluv when there was as much chemistry between the star crossed lovers as two planks of wood. The romance lacked interest or anything much really. The plot was long drawn out, bland and didn't really add anything new to the dystopian genre.

I found it disappointing and poorly contructed with a lack of decent and interesting characters. It's become obvious that I'm not going to enjoy anything by this author so I won't be reading anything else that she writes. 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I had to look back at the last post. lol. I thought that was the same author, before I started reading review. I even wondered if same series. Sounds like the author's style doesn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I bought both books on the same day, thinking they both sounded good. But after reading them I decided that this author's work is just not my thing. I do like to give different series by the same authors a go where possible because sometimes you can like one but not another. Sadly this time I disliked both but that's life!

      Delete