Friday, 9 October 2015

Book Review: Days Gone Bad by Eric R Asher (Vesik #1)


My name is Damian Valdis Vesik. I am a necromancer, an ability feared and hated as much as the powers my master and I set ourselves against. We've vanquished many evils, but now something is releasing an old darkness, forcing us to hunt an enemy beyond anything I’ve faced before. I was already busy enough with vampires, fairies, witches, Watchers, weddings, and … damn, I need a vacation.

My Review:
This book was written in a very strange way which I failed to get the point of or enjoy in any way.

Why is Damian eating all the time? Even when we are told what he is eating, the author feels compelled to announce every time he takes another bite and reminds us again what he is eating. I found this obsessive to the point of grinding my teeth until they squeaked.

Why so many characters? In the first 18 pages we meet 7 characters, two pets and three other people are discussed. Why? What is the rush to bring so many names in at the very start and risk confusing the reader? Colin of course sounds like the typical bad parody of a Scottish character which drives me bloody mad.

And why is everyone laughing all the time at nothing? People get hurt...har de har! People say hello...har de har! People look at each other...har de har! It gets pretty disturbing to read about people who are laughing like drains every few sentences when nothing funny has happened. It is weird on a scale I've never seen in urban fantasy and I don't get the point of it!

Finally, is there really a point in having a necromancer hero who seems to be incapable of actually doing spells? Um, doesn't really work for me! Nothing much seems to be happening but at least the characters seem to be having a good time, even if the reader isn't. It is just confused, lacking direction and cohesion and is not great appealing as a start to a series.

I'm not sure what the author was trying to achieve but for me it was a miserable fail. I won't be reading anything else by this author.

4 comments:

  1. I hate when there are too many characters and then there isn't a good follow through to help you remember who is who, or they're not written well enough for that. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe some of these characters pop up again later in the book though with my memory, a big cast of characters is never a good thing!

      Delete
  2. That man on the cover looks like Rick from The Walking Dead. Hm.

    ReplyDelete