Thursday, 15 October 2015

Book Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins. This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight..

My Review:
There was nothing really wrong with the book other than it being too darn slow to keep my attention!

R is a zombie who is able to function better than most zombies. He is able to say words but is frustrated that he can't remember his full name, only his initial. He doesn't like having to kill people but normal food does not keep him alive. He has a girlfriend and the other zombies have presented them with zombie children to look after. The zombies even have their own version of prayer meetings.

It is time to feed and the zombies get together in a hunting party and leave the safety of the airport. R and his friends track a group of humans and attack, and when only a girl called Julie is left alive, R decides to save her and dissguises her as a zombie to smuggle back to his home. With Julie he wants to just be normal instead of a monster.

There are good things about the book. The aspects of the zombie society were interesting-the church, the weddings and the fact that some could still talk in patches and think like humans. I liked the idea that you ingested the memories from the brains you eat so it was eating Julie's boyfriend that brought R closer to her. It was nice to see a slightly different take on zombies.

However, it was very slow. Very very slow to the point of coming to a complete stop. Every single detail of R's life is shared, before and after he meets Julie. Their conversations can be long drawn out without really going anywhere, and there is not a great deal of action. It was obviously a parody of Romeo and Juliet with a lot of details being the same. I'm not going to list all these things as other Goodreads reviewers have went into this in great detail. I did find that a bit annoying as it took away from the originality of the novel a bit.

It is later in the book that I feel the plot starts becoming too far fetched and a bit farcical but by then I'd already decided to stop reading. I just didn't find the book exciting and it was so one paced that I never really got into it. It just didn't suit me. I can't see me watching the film unless there is a lot more action in it.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

6 comments:

  1. From what I remember I enjoyed this but I read it a long time a go before I started watching things like the Walking Dead. I think it is maybe a good YA zombie novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not into the idea of romances with a human and a rotting zombie boy! It's a bit disturbing...maybe that's why I took so long to try this one!

      Delete
  2. I liked the movie but it's not a book I feel like I'd love. I'm not a fan of zombies in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very slow book. I found it interesting at first but then I just started wanting something more exciting to happen!

      Delete
  3. Yeaaah, I found this one fizzled out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's pretty much how it went for me. Doesn't make me want to watch the film.

      Delete