Saturday, 10 October 2015

Book Review: Priceless by Shannon Mayer (Rylee Adamson #1)


“My name is Rylee and I am a Tracker.”

When children go missing, and the Humans have no leads, I’m the one they call. I am their last hope in bringing home the lost ones. I salvage what they cannot.

I’m on the FBI’s wanted list.

I have a werewolf for a pet, a Witch of a best friend, and have no need for anyone else in my life.

But when a salvage starts to spin out of control, help comes from a most unexpected direction. One that is dangerously dark, brooding, and doesn’t know a thing about the supernatural.

One whose kisses set me on fire.


My Review:
I had read other books by this author and was looking forward to the urban fantasy adventure. However I found this one to be lacking in what I really wanted which was a shame.

Rylee's sister went missing years ago, and now Rylee tries to help find other missing children and bring them home safe. I liked the idea but this is where the cliches all started. We have the interfering FBI agent who has decided despite no evidence that Rylee killed her sister and is determined to catch her. So the uber obsessed man stalks her, interferes with her cases, spies on everything she does and of course has sexual fantasies about her. Of course he does. Like I've only seen this plot in about 600 books.

I really cannot be bothered with this love/hate crap getting in the way of a plot that I did want to follow. But every few pages, up he pops to have a go at Rylee. And to make things worse, we keep switching to his POV so we can see his deranged thinking and hear MORE rants about her. This really drove me mad and I got tired of this very quickly.

I didn't really like the other characters either. Milly the witch is meant to be Rylee's friend but turns her back on her because her Coven tells her to, meaning Rylee has to work without help on the case and looking after the woman who mentored both girls, Giselle. Giselle has been driven mad by her psychic abilities so nothing much she says makes sense to the reader. Milly is exactly the kind of fair weather friend that I had through my life and couldn't be counted on to be there when you need them. Lovely friend, Milly. Oh and she has to deal with her pet werewolf, stuck between forms and behaving like an untrained puppy all the time.

I'm afraid I just felt as if I was ploughing through this with gritted teeth instead of just flowing with the plot. The deal breaker was the fact that I hated O'Shea and his rants. The guy needed to be sectioned, not set up as a potential love interest. Gah!

I couldn't get into this at all. 
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I think I have this somewhere. Doesn't sound that great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. Sorry to hear that! The cover looks good. :) Sounds like a rough week in reviews this past week. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book a while back but just getting to the reviews this week. I'm about 120 reviews behind where I should be! Hope to get a few more done today and out of the way!

      Delete