Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

This week the theme is Books I am thankful for. I'll be listing books that significantly changed my reading life and I'm glad I found them!

1) JK Rowling-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Years of jobs I hated and stressful situations meant that I lost interest in reading for about ten years but when I found this book in 2003, I read the next three in the series back to back and I remembered how much I loved a great book. After that there was no stopping me!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72193.Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher_s_Stone 

2) Stephen King-IT
My first venture into horror came with Stephen King when I saw my dad reading this book. I read Carrie and Christine before IT but as soon as I read IT, I loved it so much and it is my favourite ever book. Discovering horror was brilliant!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/830502.It 

3) Kelley Armstrong-Stolen 
When I got back into reading I went looking for books with werewolves and found an online Goodreads list called 'Urban Fantasy'. I couldn't get her first book 'Bitten' at the library but I read and loved this one and my love of urban fantasy was born and led to lots of great books!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/910154.Stolen 

4) Charlaine Harris-Living Dead in Dallas 
I found this on the same urban fantasy list as Kelley Armstrong and read this from the library the same week, reminding me how much I loved vampires. This led to many more vampire books and so much more urban fantasy! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/110494.Living_Dead_in_Dallas

5) ZA Recht-Plague of the Dead 
I'd read a few zombie based plots in horror books which were ok but this was the book that launched an obsession with fast paced, gore splattered zombie apocalypse books! Now I have an entire bookcase devoted to my zombies! Braaaiiinnnsss! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46723.Plague_of_the_Dead 

6) Philippa Gregory-The Other Boleyn Girl 
This book was raved about by a friend and as soon as I read it I was addicted to it. It led me to other Tudor fiction and prompted me to watch The Tudors TV series that was just starting. And so began an obsession with the Tudor era and new authors to read! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37470.The_Other_Boleyn_Girl 

7) David Estes-The Moon Dwellers 
Joining Goodreads groups led me to a free book offer from an Indie writer. Reading it, I realised self published does not mean 'too crap to publish' and I started reviewing/promoting a ton of Indie authors, discovering many great books. Now I read more Indie than mainstream! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13931214-the-moon-dwellers 

8) Jon Krakauer-Into Thin Air
I was on a book group called Seasonal Reading Challenge and we had to gain points reading books to fit themes. One was to be about mountains and this book was suggested. I read it and loved it, sparking a love of climbing expedition books and an obsession with Everest! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1898.Into_Thin_Air 

9) Franklin Horton-The Borrowed World 
This was my first true prepper novel, seeing how ordinary people deal with a disaster that they had been preparing for 'just in case'. It hooked me instantly and I developed an obsession with prepper disaster books which led me to brilliant plots and great authors! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25470417-the-borrowed-world# 

10) Stan Berenstain-Bears in the Night 
This book about curious bear cubs going out at night to investigate a noise is still one of my favourites and it's actually the only book from my childhood that I still have. It is a classic for young children and I still love looking at it!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/900067.Bears_in_the_Night 

20 comments:

  1. It's always so great when you find a good 'in' to indie books -- it can be hard to find the quality ones, but once you've found one, others seem to follow, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found so many great reads! Yes sometimes you plough through some real mince but when you find the good ones it makes it all worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty decent top 3, Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome books. I love almost everything by Kelley Armstrong and the Charmaine Harris books are great too. And you can never go wrong with It!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the extra Pack novellas that Kelley Armstrong brought out for her Otherworld series...I'm just sad that there won't be any more!

      Delete
  4. I love that books are always there at those significant points in our lives, how Harry Potter brought you back to reading. I think it was either Harry Potter or in my case, Twilight that encouraged people back. I loved The Dwellers and Country Saga as well and still remain some of my favourite dystopians today. Such a brilliant list Chuckles, going to check a few of these out <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People slag off Twilight but it did get YA readers interested in reading again just like Harry Potter did for kids. Anything that gets people into reading is good by me. I've still only read the first Moon Dwellers book...really need to get the series read now!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely list! <3 Books are amazing for being able to change our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I can't imagine a life without books!

      Delete
  6. Great list, I have heard of most of those but not read many. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This list is a bit of a mixed bag but I think it covers most of my reading tastes which was useful...

      Delete
  7. I am pretty new to urban fantasy and have had Bitten recommended to me to try, as well as Kelley Armstrong. I love the whole vampire/ werewolf in the modern day thing. :) And I've heard The Tudors is good but I haven't watched it yet, sadly. I'm hoping Netflix has it!

    Some of those Berenstain Bears books are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the cuteness of those bears! I've got quite a pile of them now and they are a bit of good fun. There are so many great UF authors waiting for you to discover them! It was exciting for me to find people like DD Barant, Kelly Meding, Jeaniene Frost, Patricia Briggs etc. Hope you enjoy the genre!

      Delete
  8. Oh how funny, I have such a similar HP story! I had lost interest in reading for a few years too, and it was also reading HP that made me remember how much I loved it and get back into it again! And I had only planned to read one book a month until I finished the series, but then I got so sucked in that I read all seven books in nine days lol. And I have The Moon Dwellers, I think, so I'm glad to hear you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a special book to do that doesn't it? It's funny how many people have a similar experience. I loved the first moon Dwellers book and grabbed the whole series but then I got distracted by review books and never got back to them. I think I need to read them next year to find out what happens!

      Delete
  9. Such a nice list.. I'm sorry to say I've read only J.K.Rowling from the list..Will definitely get down to checking out the works of the other authors! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my vampires, shifters, demons, zombies and monsters! Finding UF was such a great thing and I'm still finding great new authors I haven't tried.

      Delete
  10. Great list! I still need to read Harry Potter and It. I did enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse series, Into Thin Air, and The Other Boleyn Girl. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to enjoy Harry Potter and IT! I love when reading a book gets me interested in a whole new genre!

      Delete