Friday, 25 November 2016

This Is My Genre Tell Me Yours Book Tag

 
  • Credit myself Drew @ TheTattooedBookGeek as the creator of the tag, either use the created tag name graphic or create your own and link back to my blog.
  • Answer the questions.
  • Tag as many people as you want.
1) What's your favourite genre?


Apocalypse dystopia! This basically covers pandemics, EMPs, solar flares, asteroids, zombie apocalypse, super volcano eruption and any other end of the world scenario!

2) Who's your favourite author from the genre?

In such a wide ranging genre it is impossible to pick a favourite author. I love Robert Boren, Darrell Maloney, Michael Stephen Fuchs, ZA Recht, Steven Jenkins, Melanie Karsak, Franklin Horton, John Marsden, Bobby Andrews, James Hunt, Stephen Knight, Eli Constant...

3) What is it about the genre that keeps pulling you back? 

There is so much to love in this genre! We get the excitement of an outbreak of flu or ebola or zombies, then the complete breakdown of society as people struggle to survive, preppers getting ready for what they know is coming and dealing with survival, ordinary people trying to learn to adapt to a scary world, the military getting ready for a dangerous mission to rescue a scientist with a cure or get rid of the zombies...there are so many scenarios in these different disasters that I never get bored with it. Road trips, rescue missions, dodging zombies on supply runs, terror, tension...lovely!

4) What's the book that started your love for your favourite genre?

Hmm, this is tricky...my first book that was apocalypic was Stephen King 'The Stand' back in the 90's or something but my obsession with these books really began when I discovered prepper fiction which has the disasters, the preparing for it and adapting after it, and is generally very fast paced. The first of these I read was:


5) If you had to recommend at least one book from your favourite genre to a non reader/someone looking to start reading that genre, what book would you choose and why?

I don't make recommendations except to my dad who has similar book tastes to me. So I'll adapt the question and say that if you like books that show you before during and after a disaster, take a look at Darrell Maloney and Franklin Horton. If you like zombies try ZA Recht and Michael Stephen Fuchs who write awesome scary ass zombies at a pace that you won't believe!

6) Why do you read?   

I've always loved diving into new worlds and adventures, and there is nothing like when you find that brilliant book that makes you forget everything else! There is so much choice in books and so much to experience...why would I NOT read???!!! 

Thanks to Beth for posting her tag answers on  https://betwixtthesepages.wordpress.com/
and now I tag anyone interested in doing the tag. If you do, please tell me in the comments section so I can visit your post!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the shout-out, Chuckles!

    I'll admit, I've never heard the term "prepper fiction" before--though I guess it's pretty obvious that's exactly what it is?! #youlearnsomethingneweveryday

    Thank you SO SO much for playing along--your answers are great, though I don't read much apocalyptic fiction these days (I pick up one or two, sometimes a few more, a year--usually from dystopian settings though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep prepper fiction is apocalypse stories which characters who have prepared in advance for disasters or at least have a plan. Love it! I'm so addicted to reading about these disasters-not sure how well I'd actually cope with one though!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful insight into why you love this genre so much. Great tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd seen the tag before but couldn't remember where so when I saw it on Beth's page it gave me a chance to take part at last!

      Delete
  3. I love this genre so much as well!
    Read the Stand recently and it now belongs to my favourite books by Stephen King, next to the Dark Tower series. I am always looking for similar novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Stand...when Stephen King does that kind of book, there is no greater craftsman of a story. I loved the whole Captain Trips section. I've got countless shelves of apocalypse and zombie books and quite a few are still unread so much fun to come!

      Delete
  4. I love dystopias too, along with apocalyptic stuff and I agree, there's just so much you can do with it! I love it when the world's all screwed up ha ha. And I haven't read a good dystopian in a while... I think I'm overdue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to disasters! I love imagining what I'd do in these scenarios and enjoying the death and disaster. I'm kind of twisted that way...

      Delete
  5. What do you think of more literary post-disaster books? I'm thinking Emily St John Mandel and Cormac McCarthy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried The Road and found it way too slow and dull for me. Things like Station Eleven are not something I'd be interested in as things like 'art and humanity' are not what I want to read about! These modern apocalypse books are fast paced and full of cool stuff like violence and gore which is much more to my taste!

      Delete