Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Chuckles Childhood Book Loves


The next category I want to look at in my childhood books is Young Detectives! Oh I spent so many happy days following the adventures of kids investigating crimes that those silly policemen never seemed able to solve! 

Again Enid Blyton was a firm favourite with The Famous Five, Secret Seven, Five Find-Outers (led by the wonderful Fatty and dog Buster) plus the Adventure series, Secret series and the Adventurous Four. None of the covers I had as a kid are available to choose so I've picked random ones.

 
 
I also have a vague memory of reading things like Linda Craig and Trixie Belden but I remember nothing about the books or what I thought of them. I never read Nancy Drew but have included her as my mum was a big fan. It's a puzzle to me why I never read Nancy Drew as I saw the books in the library each time I was there. Weird!


I loved The Famous Five and related totally to George. I climbed trees, loved football and was a huge tomboy as a child so she was my favourite. Best book in the series for me was Five Get Into Trouble as it was quite dark. Years later a new revamped Famous Five series was written and I snapped those up eagerly with my favourite being the Black Mask. It was a great robbery/murder mystery! Anyone read any of these?



6 comments:

  1. I remember reading a lot of Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and the Bobsey Twins as a young child. I was in some sort of club where they sent me 2 each month and then I'd devour them. Wish I still had some of my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still puzzled why I don't remember reading any Nancy Drew...I read pretty much everything else! I'd like to get nostalgic and read some of these books again. Finding them in charity shops could be a challenge though...

      Delete
  2. You have a great memory! I remember reading a book called The Witches Buttons in elementary school and then jumping straight into Stephen King, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my book collection! I always wanted more for birthdays and Christmas. It has been fun to do these posts, looking back at my reading journey from the first book I remember reading until what I look at now. Hope to finish these posts by year end.

      Delete
  3. Huh, I never came across the revamped series! Weird, since I loooved Famous Five.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they came out about 1984 and I just scooped them up. I think there were 8 and some were better than others. It's years since I even thought about some of these books. If I ever get the tbr under control, I might revisit Enid Blyton!

      Delete