Sunday, 27 November 2016

Chuckles Cover Love #3


If there is one thing that makes a great book even better, it is when it has a cover that we love! The cover design is what catches the eye as we browse through a bookstore shelf or check out the Amazon or Goodreads recommendations. The right cover makes me look closer at a book, to read the blurb and maybe make a purchase. A poor cover might mean I never look at the blurb at all. This is the first in a series of posts celebrating all those book covers I love...and why!

Kelley Armstrong-Women of the Otherworld

As I've said in a previous Cover Love post, I hate it when you get part of the way through a series and the publishers change the design you love into something really awful. A good example of this is the Kelley Armstrong series which I very much enjoyed. The first nine books and two anthologies were in this gorgeous format:




Pretty nice! I love the colours and the magical inspired designs. Compare those to a couple of uninspiring versions released:


Gah! And then when books ten onwards all came out, the books were only available in these boring trade paperbacks instead of my beautiful mass market paperbacks!!! Not impressed! *shakes fist at publisher*


WHY do they do this to us continually? I want my old covers back!!! So when I saw that they were doing a series of beautiful illustrated Pack novellas I was determined to get them in decent cover form even if it meant paying a little more for them. These are two of the best covers on the novellas!

 
















I only have Driven to read and there will be no more Pack! ARRGGHH! What will I do without my beloved wolves??? Have you read this series? Who were your favourite characters? Which book did you like best? Which covers do you have and have you read the novellas?

10 comments:

  1. I hate it when they do that too. It's ridiculous- why do they almost always replace nice cover art with subpar art? I don't get it. And I agree w/ you here, I'll take those older covers. Love the one for stolen!

    I've had Bitten and the whole series recommended to me since I mentined I wanted werewolf stories. So I need to get Bitten and start at the beginning. This or Mercy thompson...

    That cover of Brazen is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the series-werewolves, vampires, witches and demons working together against supernatural threats and of course strong female characters! Yes to this and the Mercy Thompson series!

      I think publishers do this deliberatly to force people with book ocd to go out and buy a whole new set to keep the books the same but if they do that they MUST give us something gorgeous! Not uninspired rubbish!

      Delete
  2. Covers are so important! I hate it when the cover style changes midway through a series - my shelves don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it makes the shelves look untidy. The new trend seems to be towards switching to more expensive trade paperbacks. I like the size and the size of the print inside these books but it means a shift in covers which frustrates me when you follow long series! You want to have them all looking the same size and design!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that cover for Brazen. I choose it as my favorite for one of my cover posts too, haha. But of course I can never resist anything that's black, white, and red... I do really like the art style for both of the last two covers though! But that definitely does sound frustrating to have the covers changed so much throughout the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the novella covers-wish she had written a few more though! I need my wolves! It seems to be a trend to release great covers and then totally change them. Sometimes the new covers prove better but the whole thing just frustrates me!

      Delete
  4. Those are awesome covers - I pretty much just had access to the boring ones when I started this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate horrible covers on books! I have a lot more posts where I'll be moaning about that very thing! Gah! Don't publishers understand that pretty book covers attract more people to pick the book up in the first place???!!!

      Delete
  5. I think I've read the first two books in the series, but it's been a while. I have to agree with you, the original covers are far superior to the newer ones. I have no idea why publishers do that, unless they change art directors or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me mad Tammy! I like my books in a series to be the same sized books with the same cover design. It doesn't seem too much to ask!

      Delete