Thursday, 17 November 2016

Chuckles Cover Love #2


If there is one thing that makes a great book even better, it is when it has a cover that we love! The cover design is what catches the eye as we browse through a bookstore shelf or check out the Amazon or Goodreads recommendations. The right cover makes me look closer at a book, to read the blurb and maybe make a purchase. A poor cover might mean I never look at the blurb at all. This is the first in a series of posts celebrating all those book covers I love...and why!

Charlaine Harris-Southern Vampire aka Sookie Stackhouse

This was one of the first books I read under the previously unheard of tag of 'urban fantasy'. I grabbed book two from the local library as that was the only one available and I loved it. When I bought the series the only version available was this bland offering:


Yes, not very inspiring huh! After buying about six of them, new covers were released featuring the cast of True Blood. Part of me was happy at a better option being available but part of me was annoyed that I had an incomplete set and had to have mixed covers! My book OCD hated that...so I started looking for new copies of the new covers in charity shops with varied levels of success. But by the time the last books came out, there seemed to be no more TV series covers and I ended up with this rubbish instead!


Oh come on, seriously??? These are DREADFUL! And they don't match any of the other books!!! So I decided that there was one set of books online that were all the same and were cute compared to these horrors...trouble is, it has taken time and money to track them down and they are all second hand. I'll just have to live with it...but I love these covers! Check them out!


  


So now I finally have a set of Sookie Stackhouse books that I'm really happy with! My favourite cover is Dead Ever After as it features all the men in her life hiding nearby to protect her. Which covers do you like and hate here? What versions did you end up with. Did you like the series? Favourite book? (Mine I think was Living Dead in Dallas especially the end with Eric at the party!)

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding the full set. I have the first few books with those original, cute covers. I too love those best. I also one special omnibus edition from Doubleday Bookclub that has a gorgeous picture of a fictional Sookie holding a platter & standing next to Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while but I love these covers and I was lucky that most are close to new looking. Nicer than those other things! Why do they have to keep changing things and bringing out ugly covers!

      Delete
  2. I think my incomplete set is a total mess of different covers, too. I haven't read them yet, so I don't know if I'm going to care, though I suspect so. (I liked the Harper Connolly books.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the books especially book two! I tried one Lily Bard book and disliked the character. I did find Harper a decent enough read but never got more than one book into it so I don't remember much about it now!

      Delete
  3. Those are the covers I bought when I started reading them but I think they were all that was out at that time. I think they just got worse and worse so I'm glad I had these ones to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to get them! Two are trade paperbacks and the rest mass market which is a bit annoying but at least they are in good condition which is the main thing.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree that great covers do make the books we love even better! I'm a little bit cover obsessed lol. And you're right, that last set of covers is definitely better than the others! They're so fun and eye-catching! Though I think Club Dead might be my favorite of the bunch. I haven't read the series, but I did watch like 4 seasons of the show lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty cover obsessed! That's the one thing that can be frustrating about Indie books when the author doesn't have the money to buy great covers. It was worth the effort to grab these great covers!

      Delete