Monday, 7 November 2016

A-Z Book Blogger Tag


Lexxie at (Un) Conventional Bookviews https://unconventionalbookviews.com/  found this tag from 2013 at Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner and shared it so I figured I'd take part for fun! If you are interested in doing the tag, join in but post a comment under this post to say you are joining in so I can visit your post!

Author you've read the most books from:
This is probably going to be Richard Laymon. I discovered him as a recommendation from Stephen King and as a college student I devoured his horror books. Loved One Rainy Night, After Midnight, Darkness Tell Us, Friday night at Beast House, In the Dark, Come out tonight, The Glory Bus, The Lake and Dark Mountain. Makes me want to go and read them all again right now!

Best sequel ever:
Too hard to pick one! Harry Potter #7 is up there, Patricia Briggs-Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson #7), RL Naquin's Monster Haven sequels made me laugh and cry, Arisen sequels by Michael Stephen Fuchs...too many to write down! 

Currently reading: 
I've just started book three of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series-Hammered. Enjoyed the first two books and the short stories I've read in the series so far. Oberon is the greatest dog in fiction EVER!

Drink choice when reading:
Most of the time when I'm reading, I'm too busy with the story to be drinking or eating. I usually have Tango or Pepsi at my bedside along with Bitter Lemon which helps me avoid restless leg which I hate when I'm trying to read or sleep! When I'm blogging I like an iced  Latte Macchiato!

Ereader or physical book:
I'm always a great lover of the new paperback...the shiny cover, the new book smell, the rustle of the pages, and I love looking at my bookshelves to see them all sitting smiling at me! I do like my ereader though because I can read faster on it, carry multiple book titles with me, and use it to try new authors free. So both have their merits but I admit I am a big fan of the physical book which is why when I find an ebook I love, I try to get a paperback copy to keep.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school:
I don't really do the book boyfriend thing but maybe Sirius Black from Harry Potter.
 
Glad you gave this book a chance:
Harry Potter

Hidden Gem book:
For mythology-Ken Mooney 'Godhead', for YA MC monsters-Kendra C Highley 'Matt Archer Monster Hunter', YA dystopia-David Estes 'The Moon Dwellers', dinosaurs-Rick Jones 'The Valley', horror-JG Faherty 'Carnival of Fear', zombies-Arisen series by Michael Stephen Fuchs, preppers-Robert Boren 'Bug Out', apocalypse-Franklin Horton 'Borrowed World' and anything by Darrell Maloney, UF-Skyla Dawn Cameron 'Bloodlines' and Judith Post 'Wolfs Bane', fantasy-Dave Ferraro 'Dark Genesis' 

Important moment in your reading life:
It has to be when I first read Harry Potter. Working stressful jobs for years left me too tired and frustrated to read and I pretty much never picked up a book for ten years. I'd had no interest in Harry Potter but a girl I worked with raved about it and when I stopped work through ill health months later, I saw the first four books in a book club joining offer for £3 and figured I'd try it. That series reawoke my love for reading which has never gone away.

Just finished:
Book two in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series-Hexed. Great 5 star book!

Kind of books you won't read:
I am not a fan of sex scenes in books so I never read erotica or heavy paranormal romance. I used to read YA paranormal but got tired of tropes like instaluv, love triangles, mean kids plots so I mostly avoid them now. I don't read westerns, women's fiction, religious works, crime (except Deaver & Patterson), poetry, space setting books (except dinosaur planets), epic fantasy (except LOTR) and avoid most contemporary unless the plot really appeals.

Longest book you've read:
Stephen King's The Stand would be right up there at 1421 pages! I can't see me ever reading something longer!

Major book hangover because of:
I don't get book hangovers...I disengage as soon as I finish with a book and get straight on to the next one.

Number of bookcases you own:
In my bedroom I have six. Others through the house are for dvds and box sets.

One book you have read multiple times:
I read all my favourites more than once...wish I had more time to do it! I'd have to pick things like Stephen King 'IT' or Harry Potter for this one.

Prefered place to read:
I always like to curl up in my bed on a winter night to read. I can get warm and comfy and just read for hours!

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:
There are a few good book quotes that I love and that suit me!
 
“If you cannot read all your books...fondle them---peer into them, let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests the eye, set them back on the shelves with your own hands, arrange them on your own plan so that you at least know where they are. Let them be your friends; let them, at any rate, be your acquaintances.” —Winston S. Churchill  

“If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you.”
Terry Pratchett
 
“The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones.”
Joseph Joubert 


Reading Regret:
That I don't have more time to read! During the day I catch up on my blogging, housework etc so I only have time to read at night and I need more hours to get through this raging tbr I keep adding to! Also that some of the great indie ebooks I've read are never brought out in paperback!

Series you started and need to finish (all books are out in series):
Where do I start! Top would be the Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine, Black Wings by Christina Henry, Tomorrow by John Marsden, Kitty by Carrie Vaughn, Black Sun's Daughter by MLN Hanover, Dreg City by Kelly Meding, Walker Papers by CE Murphy.

Three of your all time favourite books:
Stephen King 'IT', Stan Berenstain 'Bears in the night' and Michael Crichton 'Jurassic Park'

Unapologetic fangirl for:
Patricia Briggs, Michael Stephen Fuchs, Darrell Maloney, Robert Boren, Richard Laymon, Kevin Hearne, Kelley Armstrong, Jeaniene Frost, RL Naquin, Kendra C Highley... 

Very excited for this release more than all the others:
Any new book in my favourite series!

X marks the spot-start at top left of your shelf and pick 27th book:
ZA Recht-Plague of the Dead. Heh, great zombie trilogy!

Your latest book purchase:
RL King-Stone and a hard place

ZZZ snatcher book (the last book that kept you up way late):
I can't sit up through the night reading like I used to so the last all night read I had was many years ago when I read Dan Brown-The Da Vinci Code for the first time.

6 comments:

  1. This was an awesome tag and now I feel like I know much more about you and your reading preferences. So glad to hear you're enjoying Oberon. That is a series I plan on reading in 2017. No way I can get to it before then. I love reading in cooler weather with a blanket and a dog on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oberon is the best dog I've read in fiction-he's just brilliant! I hope you enjoy the series as much as I am. Ironically, last night I was so cold I couldn't stick any flesh outside the covers to read so I had to just watch TV instead!

      Delete
    2. I bought some of the sleeve gloves (made out of fleece) with the fingers cut out just for that purpose. Our house is 116 years old...cold in the winter is a way of life.

      Delete
    3. *shivers* I'm getting cold just thinking about your home...lucky you have two warm dogs! Time to dig out the furry blankets I think!

      Delete
  2. Great post!! Yep Sirius Black would have been hot in high school!!! I started reading The Stand many years ago, never finished it so maybe I should try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that book especially the way the virus spreads in it. I think that was the first pandemic book I read and what led me to all these lovely apocalypse books!

      Delete