Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Don't Rain on my Zombie Parade!


Anyone who visits my blog on a regular basis, especially my Stacking the Shelves post on a Saturday, will know how much I love my zombie books. I have lots of them on my tbr and I never tire of finding new ones and enjoying a range of horrible zombie goodness!

So why do so many people ask me how I can keep reading that zombie stuff? 

Yes, I get a lot of people contacting me through Goodreads and by email, who seem to look down on people who read zombie fiction. I get a lot of that attitude 'but these zombie stories are all the same kind of thing.' 'Don't you get bored with it?' 'Shouldn't you read things that are more acceptable like the classics?'

OK first of all, I don't like strangers telling me what I should or shouldn't be reading. I read what I like to read and that is mostly apocalypse dystopia, action packed low romance urban fantasy and gory horror. These are my favourite books and I don't feel the need to justify myself for liking them. One Christian woman who wanted to be my penpal told me I was going straight to Hell for reading Stephen King. I wasn't taking that crap from anyone so I gave her a right serving about how christians aren't meant to judge people and are meant to be tolerant etc...I got a grovelling apology but it was the end of penpalling with her.  What gave her the right to behave like that in the first place? I read for entertainment and pleasure and I have no intention on wasting time on genres I don't like. Besides I don't JUST read those genres! I also like some mountain disaster non fiction, biographies of people I find interesting, the occasional thriller or contemporary or a book where the story just appeals to me.

So why don't I get bored with zombies? Well the books I read feature different types of zombies (fast, slow, intelligent, only out at night etc). Some feature the military or preppers, some are ordinary people trying to survive, some are in the UK where there is no access to guns, some are inside walled cities, some are cross country treks. The reason for the apocalypse varies from flu jag to bioweapon, miracle drug to sun flare. There is still variety in the zombies and the plot. I'm not keen on zombie armies being controlled by a psycho human leader, zombie humour, zombie books taken over by romance or smart zombies who talk and use guns. Being able to pick up a lot of zombie books free or cheap also helps! Anyway there IS variety in zombie books!

I like to then ask these people if they get bored by reading YA and other romance where boy meets girl, loses girl and have a HEA. They then say hotly 'no, the plots and characters are different in amongst the romance!' Then they look at me grinning and think 'ah right, get your point.'  Yes zombie books all feature zombies but that is kind of the point of reading it! Just like reading romance books means you expect romance. If you love the genre it doesn't get boring!

I get so bugged by people thinking I should expand my reading horizons because they don't like the genres I read. Um, nobody is asking you to read my books! I get that lots of people find horror scary or not to their taste and there is nothing wrong with that. I get that some people might not understand my interest in these books. That's ok too. But don't contact me and get critical of my tastes when I wouldn't do that to you! Go and annoy someone else! I'm 42 now and I have done my experimenting with genres thrrough my life and I like to now stick mostly to what I enjoy. I get tired of defending my book tastes to people, hence this post.

I don't judge people who read stuff I don't like. I don't question their choices. I just like to imagine lots of people reading what they love and passing on that love of books to the next generation. So grab a book, any book, get reading...

...and don't rain on my zombie parade!!!

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully said! If people go to hell for reading Stephen King, I was doomed by the 6th grade. Glad you clued her in :)
    My heavens, aren't there enough problems in the world without people caring what someone reads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon my soul is doomed as well...so I might as well read more zombies! Yeah you wonder why people care so much what other people like or dislike. Some of the venom on Goodreads is shocking!

      Delete
  2. Well said Chuckles!

    Annoys me when people comment on what you read, I love zombie books too and like you say they can be fast, they can be slow, they can slowly turn human again, the possibilities are endless. It is pure escapism and I am glad that there are books out there to let us escape. Also there are only so many ways a couple can get it on before it gets boring via problems and all the other stuff in YA Romance, I occasionally dabble but I go straight back to good old dystopia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't get why people on Goodreads get rabid because one little person in Scotland doesn't like their favourite book! Why should they care? I mean I love Harry Potter and I don't hunt down Harry haters to abuse! I really don't care how many people hate it as long as I like it!

      Delete
  3. Do people really contact other people to bug them about their favourite genres? Ughh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are people in the world who are such sad little critters! I mean, I don't mind a friend asking what it is about these books that I love-that is a proper adult conversation but when I get the 'how can you like THAT' attitude that I bristle and get a bit sarcastic. One girl kept saying on GR 'How can you say that book is 4 star? I read it and HATED it!' Her meaning was that she hated it so obviously I was wrong and needed to think again. So my reply was 'I typed the words on my computer and it magically put my words on screen and then I published the review. I found it really easy.' She didn't like that and unfriended me! It's a pity coz she was a nice girl but I don't like being told my opinion of a book is 'wrong' when opinion is a personal thing and something every reader has the freedom to decide.

      Delete