Thursday, 7 January 2016

Book Review: Dead but not for long by Matthew Kinney


When the first outbreaks occurred, the reports were quickly stifled. By the time the dead began to walk in Lansing, Michigan, it was already too late to stop the plague.

In the heart of the city, a child with cancer and her caretaker risk their lives to help a security guard and a nurse secure an old hospital. As the survivors struggle to stay alive, the grid begins to fail.

All the while, the dead fight to get inside.


My Review:
All week I have been catching up with zombie books that have been sitting on my ereader. This is the fifth one I've read and it was another poor one. It hasn't been a great week overall.

Lets start with our hero MC, Eric the hospital security guard. Eric lives at home with mummy and slobs around the basement, not ever bothering to tidy up, wash himself or wash his uniform, meaning he literally stinks. He is the laziest man on the planet and spends most of his shift sleeping out of sight or stuffing his face from vending machines. He is rude, disgusting, sex obsessed, useless and a complete moron. And THIS is supposed to be the hero of the book? He slimes about chatting up nurses and pigging out, and the appearance of him on each page makes you want to shower to wash Eric slime out of your brain. He's one of the most revolting charachers I've had the misfortune to read about. All he does is wet himself and vomit over people throughout the book. Gross.

Eric is also a compulsive liar, trying to make himself look good and heroic and sexy (*shudder*) when in fact he is a useless coward who never does his job. He is obsessing over the ex he has been stalking since she dumped him and capturing a female zombie to be his new girlfriend. (*double shudder*) Why has he not been bitten already? We also have the nurse who is so bad at her job that she keeps it only by sleeping with her boss. Surprise. Add in the opening chapter about the sex obsessed borderline paedophile on a cruise who is there just to annoy women and get laid (some hope of that mate) and just finds zombies on the ship. Not sure what the point was in his somewhat short story at the start of the book.

There were a few decent characters in the hospital like Eric's security boss Jack, the nurse Keith, and the biker gang but that bit of the story which was decent kept being ruined by Eric's stupid ass adventures outside the hospital and I got fed up every time we switched back to him. By the time he was back to annoying his ex and her kids, and getting in everyone's way, I'd had all of him that I could stomach.

There was potential in this book if we had stuck to the main story in the hospital and followed those interesting characters and left Eric out completely. Sadly Eric ruins the entire book and I doubt I'll bother trying anything else by the author in case Eric or something similar pops up again.
 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like it - it really has a nice cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a nice cover though it doesn't relate much to the book which mostly takes place in an overrun hospital! Oh I hated Eric so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Darn it!!! I hate when I'm having a bad reading streak. Hope you get a good book up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I got a good one yesterday which I hope to review today!

      Delete
  3. Oh no...not another dud! The main character sounds absolutely horrible in this story. I don't know that I could have finished it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These zombie ones can be so hit and miss! Time got away from me for posting reviews but I did finish a good one yesterday and it'll be posted tomorrow!

      Delete