Monday, 25 January 2016

Book Review: I Was Here by Gayle Forman

This characteristically powerful novel follows eighteen-year-old Cody Reynolds in the months following her best friend's shocking suicide.

As Cody numbly searches for answers as to why Meg took her own life, she begins a journey of self-discovery which takes her to a terrifying precipice, and forces her to question not only her relationship with the Meg she thought she knew, but her own understanding of life, love, death and forgiveness.

A phenomenally moving story, I Was Here explores the sadly all-too-familiar issue of suicide and self-harm, addressing it in an authentic way with sensitivity and honesty.


My Review:
It only took me a few pages to consider that Meg might have killed herself because she had such a terrible best friend in Cody. Actually I never did find out why Meg killed herself because Cody annoyed me so much that I didn't want to read about her any more.

In the aftermath of Meg's death, I found Cody to be self obsessed, cold and selfish. Everything had to be about HER. Why didn't Meg tell me what she was thinking, why do her parents have to keep asking me over to their house when I don't want to be there, how can I forgive Meg for doing this to me, how could Meg be so selfish as to subject me to a funeral and all these memorial services...did she actually care about Meg as a person? I started to wonder.

Then we get into their friendship and how Meg went to college and Cody would do courses at home and then move out there to live with Meg. How Cody promised to visit every month but only went once and moaned the entire trip about how uncool everything was. How she made up the excuse of being ill to go home early and then had excuses each month as to why she couldn't visit Meg. Some friend! She moans about people showing sympathy about Meg dying then gets angry when a few people are rude about it. She even gets hurt and offended because Meg never told her about adopting kittens. Cody is the most self obsessed and selfish friend ever. I hated her.

When you get an MC you don't care about, it makes it harder to follow their story. I didn't feel that Cody was telling us who Meg really was-just a few random thoughts and pieces of stories. She never really said WHY they were best friends, what she'd miss about her...she didn't seem to really care about Meg being gone forever-she was more obsessed with how it was impacting her and why she wasn't confided in. Maybe all of that changes later in the book but I wasn't really bothered about finding out.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment