Monday, 25 January 2016

Chuckles Goes Contemporary


I used to read a lot of contemporary books especially when I first joined bookcrossing and wanted to try every genre! In recent years I have concentrated more on urban fantasy, dystopia and horror as these are my favourite books. However when I visit blogs I see all these books and authors I don't know and I thought it might be nice to go and try a few, taking a look at the new contemporary authors out there. Who knows, I might find a few I enjoy and sometimes a change can be nice!

Last night I decided it was finally time to get a few of them read to see what I think so this is the start of Contemporary Week at The Book Cave. The plan is to read as many as I can until I get fed up with them or the week finishes!

Based on the ten books I looked at last night, it was NOT a good experiment! I didn't like any of them, mainly due to the story being too slow or not liking the characters. I still have a pile to read as I grabbed quite a few in charity shops and sales so maybe I'll find some good ones later.

If not, well my tbr will lose a few books so it's pretty much a win-win!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck. I like contemporaries every once in a while, but not in large doses. My best bet is usually Rainbow Rowell. I tend to stay away from Gail Foreman and Colleen Hoover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might need some luck based on the Gayle Forman one I tried! Haven't tried Rainbow Rowell yet but have a few of her books waiting. I want to get this shelf cleared and if I like a few on it, that's a bonus. Then I can get back to zombies!

      Delete
  2. Ok you are so brave! Enjoy your contemporary reads, I do dabble from time to time but always find myself going back to my roots!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think once I clear the shelf this week I'll forget any more grand plans to try new stuff-I just feel like I've kind of outgrown genres with slower plots and obnoxious characters which I'm seeing a lot of! I think fast zombie action is what I should stick to!

      Delete