Sunday, 17 January 2016

Book Review: Life After Death by Jeffrey Reames

My name is Davina Briggs. I'm seventeen and the Zombie Apocalypse just started. The government might be calling it a virus. I don't know how far this virus will spread. I don't know if it will ever stop. All I know is, it sure doesn't look good. I lost contact with my Dad a few days ago. He is on a business trip out in Denver...

My Dad is a prepper... To my friends and family that snickered at us, or outright laughed at us. Who is laughing now? I'm starting to pack things up and move them to the bunker, which is a fortification on top of our  garage... From an armory to medicine and solar power. I'm sure we will be okay from the zombies and anything else that could happen.

This is my journal of the zombie apocalypse... Hopefully someone will be able to read it.


My Review: 
Davina is a smart, sporty seventeen year old whose father is a prepper. He has fortified the garage to use as a safe house should the worst happen and taught his daughter to survive any apocalypse or disaster. So when Davina describes herself to her readers, why on earth would she describe her breast and ass size in her diary? Well seeing a man wrote this as he obviously deemed that to be the most important thing about her. Not impressed by that.

Putting that aside, this was a decent little story. Davina is about to face the zombie apocalypse alone, as her father is away on a business trip and is stranded, trying to find a way back home to her. She follows her father's instructions and moves her things and supplies over to her 'fort' where she prepares to wait it out. However, it is not just zombies that she fears but other people coming to loot her house and endanger her survival. It is written simply, giving you an idea of what it might be like if such an event happened for real.

There were a few minor niggles to this. Firstly it needs to be proofread as the sentence structure breaks down in places and the spelling could be better. Also I think Davina was being a bit picky by leaving food in her house that she doesn't like. She should have moved everything into the fort as she didn't know how long she might need to be there. She complains about being bored so why didn't she move more books and things into the fort when she was getting ready for the move? She seemed to lack a bit of brains there.

Anyway the niggles were minor and it was a decent enough story. I'm not sure that I'll read on with the series though. I'd probably go 2.5 stars on this but I'm rounding it up to 3 as it would be unfair to give it 2 stars.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment