I review everything I read, on my blog and on Goodreads. Most reviews are of a decent length but sometimes you don't have much to say about the book because of its length or you DNFed it or various other reasons. In cases like that it makes sense to write a few mini reviews in one post and clear them out your way! So lets catch up with reviews from through this year.
1) Andrzej Sapkowski-The Last Wish (The Witcher #1)
Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ... but he is far more than a striking-looking man. He's a witcher, with powers that make him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin - his targets are the vile fiends that ravage the land.
As guardian of the innocent, Geralt meets incestuous kings with undead daughters, vengeful djinns, shrieking harpies, lovelorn vampires and despondent ghouls. Many are pernicious, some are merely, and none are quite as they appear.
1) The Witcher-A King wants a cure for his girl who has been infected by a monster but his advisors would rather that Geralt kill her. He has to try and find a way to cure her without killing her or himself. This was an entertaining story and I liked it.
2) A Grain Of Truth-A man who was evil was turned into a monster and now lives a happier life with his new love but Geralt fears that he may be in danger from her. I liked the monster and his new life in his mansion. Another good story.
3) The Lesser Evil-The resident wizard in the town Geralt visits. He is trapped in a tower and has been the subject of countless assassination attempts and she has found him again. Geralt just wants to keep the peace. This one was ok but nothing great as I didn't like either of them.
4) A Question Of Price-Geralt has to solve a problem at a wedding when a creature wants to claim the Queen's daughter as his bride. I liked the twists in this story and way that Geralt solves the problem.
5) The Edge of the World-Geralt and Dandilion try to eject a devil from the fields who doesn't want to leave and the wise woman doesn't want him to be harmed. The story itself was interesting but Dandilion is a bloody arse pain and I can't stand him!
6) The Last Wish-Dandilion's obsession with getting three wishes from a djinn unleashes terror on a town and sorceress Yennifer is determined to stop it at all costs. Bloody Dandilion again and he was even more stupid than before. Yennifer is also a character I really didn't like.
Overall I liked the idea and the world that the story was set in but I really disliked two recurring characters that drove me mad and I don't want to read any more about them so I won't continue the series. I also couldn't be bothered with the sex which added nothing to the story in any way, and I found the continuing story between the six flashbacks to be dull and uninteresting. It was one of those books where I felt I was ploughing through it rather than really enjoying it.
Read August 2018
2.5/3 stars.
2) Carolyn McCray-Open Water (Salechii #1.5)
This was the follow up short story that fits between Salechii and Shark Station Nyet. All I can say is that it follows the fate of a character. It was a good short story. Review on Goodreads contains details with spoilers! 4 stars.
3) Carolyn Mc Cray-Churn (Salechii #2.5)
This is the bridge story between Shark Station Nyet. The survivors are out tackling a whaling vessel and one character has to face the sharks and the blogger that has been trying to ruin him professionally. A good satisfying story! Review on Goodreads contains review with spoilers!
4 stars.
4) Carolyn McCray-Blood In The Water ( Salechii #3.5)
Perhaps a bit of a silly and unrealistic ending to the series but I did find it entertaining anyway. The men and women are on different team bonding experiences but the spa becomes as dangerous as the swamp! Review on Goodreads contains review with spoilers!
5) Lois Duncan-I Know What You Did Last Summer
Last summer, four terrified friends made a desperate pact to conceal a shocking secret. But now, someone has learned the truth and is determined to get even.
The horror is starting again. There is an unknown avenger out there who is stalking them in a deadly game. Will he stop at terror-or is he out for revenge?
This book is different from that film that it spawned and is more of a YA thriller than anything else. That said, it was an entertaining and decent story. In this one the four friends accidently knock down and kill a child before leaving the accident scene, calling in the accident and covering up their involvement in it. Julie is the first to get the threatening note about what they did last summer and the four bicker and worry about who is behind it. The mystery comes to an end when the person revelas who they are. I admit I had two suspects in mind for the wannabe killer and I was sort of right! I'm not going to say any more. It was a decent little thriller but don't expect the brutal murders from the film as you won't get any of that!
Read October 2018.3 stars
6) Trey Callaway-I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
This is actually the screenplay rather than a novel based on the screenplay which is disappointing but that is my fault for not looking carefully at it before I bought it. It was still interesting enough to read as I very much enjoyed the film and it was certainly a quick read! Nothing wrong with it but not a format I enjoy.
Read October 2018
3 stars.



Awesome mini reviews!
ReplyDeleteThanks Erica!
DeleteI read all of Lois Duncan's books when I was a teen. They're a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteI only read Summer of Fear as a kid but liked it at the time.
DeleteI've only read the Salechii books. These others look interesting.
ReplyDeleteI wish the Salechii series would come out in paperback! I live the covers!
DeleteI'm dying to try the Witcher video game and I'll probably still try the series at some point. However, since I'm focusing on Kate Daniels this year, after reading this, it can probably wait to 2020!
ReplyDeleteMy dad might like The Witcher games. He likes some monsters! I've only read the first Kate Daniels but I might give it a try again in a few years once I get the backlog sorted!
Delete