Saturday, 1 December 2018

Blogmas-Best YA of 2018


Sophie over at http://bewareofthereader.com/ is hosting Blogmas 2018 and would love everyone to take part! The idea is that you post on each topic through the month (or as many as you can manage) on Wordpress, Twitter, Instagram etc using the hashtag #BestBooksof2018
It's the first day of Blogmas and the topic is Best YA of 2018. I'm not a huge reader of YA but I did get a few good ones looked at this year. 

1) Simone Pond-Beyond Sight (Coastview Prophecies #2) 

As horrifying as the future is, she sees it all.
Sibyl Forsyth doesn't know which is harder: navigating the supernatural realm or staying afloat at Hillside University. After all, she can't seem to register for classes.

When she receives a terrifying vision of a sacrifice happening at the next Blood Moon, Sibyl is hellbent on tracking down the demon who's initiating the gruesome ritual. But solving this mystery is harder than she imagined. Teaming up again with her reliable sidekick, Vago, and other allies in her fight against evil, Sibyl vows to save the innocent victims before they're sacrificed. Can she save the town before it falls prey to evil's reign?


2) SM Wilson-The Extinction Trials (Extinction Trials #1) 

Betrayal. Sacrifice. Survival.
Welcome to the Extinction Trials.


In Stormchaser and Lincoln's ruined world, the only way to survive is to risk everything. To face a contest more dangerous than anyone can imagine. And they will do anything to win.

But in a land full of monsters - human and reptilian - they can't afford to trust anyone. Perhaps not even each other...


3) SM Wilson-Exile (Extinction Trials #2) 

Betrayal. Sacrifice. Survival.
Welcome to the Extinction Trials.


After surviving on Piloria once, Storm and Lincoln are the obvious candidates to return to the dinosaur continent to test the new virus that should clear the way for human settlement. But they have their own priorities – finding a cure for the plague that’s sweeping Earthasia, and keeping themselves alive.

Ryan Graudin-Wolf by Wolf

Over ten years since the Nazis won the war, 18 yr old Yael has one mission: to kill Hitler - a captivating second novel from Walled City author, Ryan Graudin.

Once upon a different time, there was a girl who lived in a kingdom of death. Wolves howled up her arm. A whole pack of them-made of tattoo ink and pain, memory and loss. It was the only thing about her that ever stayed the same.Her story begins on a train.

Germania, 1956. Over ten years since the Nazis won the war. 18-year-old Yael is part of the resistance, and she has just one mission: to kill Hitler. But first she's got to get close enough to him to do it.

Experimented on during her time at Auschwitz, Yael has the unique ability to change her appearance at will. The only part of her which always remains are the five tattooed wolves on her arm; one for each of the people she's lost. Using her abilities, she must transform into Adele Wolfe, Germany's most famous female rider and winner of the legendary Axis Tour; an epic long distance motorcycle race from Berlin to Tokyo, where only the strongest (and wiliest) riders survive. If she can win this, she will be able to get close enough to kill the Fuhrer and change history forever.

But with other riders sabotaging her chances at every turn, Yael's mission won't be easy. . .


5) Elizabeth Briggs-Future Shock trilogy 


What do you do when the future is too late, and the present is counting down to an inevitable moment?

Elena Martinez has street smarts, the ability for perfect recall, and a deadline: if she doesn’t find a job before she turns eighteen, she’ll be homeless. But then she gets an unexpected offer from Aether Corporation, the powerful Los Angeles tech giant. Along with four other recruits—Adam, Chris, Trent, and Zoe—Elena is being sent on a secret mission to bring back data from the future. All they have to do is get Aether the information they need, and the five of them will be set for life. It’s an offer Elena can’t refuse.

But something goes wrong when the time travelers arrive in the future. And they are forced to break the only rule they were given—not to look into their own fates. Now they have twenty-four hours to get back to the present and find a way to stop a seemingly inevitable future—and a murder—from happening. But changing the timeline has deadly consequences too. Who can Elena trust as she fights to save her life?


6) Ernest Cline-Ready Player One

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

22 comments:

  1. I’ve seen The Extinction Trials everywhere this year. That’s probably a sign that I should read it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so can't wait for the third book! I'm loving this series!

      Delete
  2. Ryan Graudin is one that has been recommeded many times! Great choices and again thank you for playing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! It's going to be fun! Wolf by Wolf was a really great book and I need to read the sequel soon!

      Delete
  3. The Extinction Trials were definitely some of the best YA I read this year, and the Briggs series looks awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to dinosaurs! And yes to time travel to stop a terrible crime!

      Delete
  4. I have only read one of these books, Ready Player One, and it was a DNF for me. I loved the beginner, but then it became repetitive. I feel like I should have pushed through a little bit there, because everyone loves the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised to love Ready player one as I don't generally read YA dystopian and I'm not a gamer. I am a child of the 80's though so I loved that side of it!

      Delete
  5. So many of these sound good. I plan to check out The Extinction Trials series and I'd like to try the Future Shocks series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good year for my YA choices. I'm hoping next year proves to be as good! I hope you get to the Extinction Trials and Future Shock!

      Delete
  6. I do enjoy YA but I feel like I didn't read as many this year as I usually do. I do want to read The Extinction Trials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed the reads I've featured and it was nice to find ones without whiny characters and dumb love in them!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any Elizabeth Briggs yet. I want to tho. I loved RPO and was in a my university book club for it. I am so glad you are taking part in Blogmas!! =)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my first Blogmas and it has been fun! I'll be checking out all your posts for it too!

      Delete
  8. Blogmas looks fun! I'm excited to start seeing your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of my categories will be different from the list though!

      Delete
  9. I need to check out a few of these!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo The Extinction Trials looks super good. Briggs has never let me down. Looks like a fun challenge.

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't love Wolf by Wolf but I did like the second one a lot - even though most readers didn't. have you read that one yet?

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the second one yet as I'm trying to get through some of the books with mixed reviews to get them into bags for the charity shop! I expect to like and keep the second one and hope to read it early next year!

      Delete