Wednesday, 12 December 2018

This Is My Genre Tag-Horror


I saw this tag when Bookstooge put it on his blog  and I thought I'd do one. I might have done this before but I can't remember so we'll do it anyway. It was created by Drew over at  https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress.com/
  
What is your favourite genre and why? Join in if you can!

1) What is your favourite genre?

It has to be horror for Chuckles!

2) Who is your favourite author from this genre?

It's impossible to pick just one author from such a huge wideranging genre! For creature feature I enjoy Hunter Shea and Rick Chesler and will always read a new book by them. For slasher type horror it is hard to look past Jack Kilborn but I'm discovering new authors like Jeff Menapace and Jon Athan that I'm enjoying. For light horror madness I loved Richard Laymon and I still mourn his early death. 

3) What is it about the genre that keeps pulling you back?

It is the total mixture of scenarios in the genre that I love! I can read about sharks and sea monsters bringing terror to beaches, ships and islands, giant snakes and spiders in the Amazon, lost dinosaur worlds in South America, cannibals at campsites, deadly expeditions, monsters in caves, Sasquatches in the swamps, mythical monsters in the forest, serial killers at summer camps, trapped in old mansions and castles, mutant things escaping from labs, zombies...the choice is endless! There are gory books, tense scary books, action packed scares, torture, death and destruction!

4) What book started your love for your favourite genre?

My dad used to get Stephen King books out of the library and I saw the cover for 'It' and became fascinated by it. What was in that drain? What did the storm and the boat and balloon mean? My dad let the library give me an adult ticket and I was straight to the Stephen King books! In that two week period I read It, Christine, Carrie and Salems Lot and my love of horror was born! It is still my favourite ever book.



5) If you had to recommend at least one book from your favourite genre to a non reader/ someone looking to start reading that genre, what book would you choose and why?

Horror isn't really a genre that you can easily recommend to someone who doesn't read it. If you don't read horror how do you know what you can tolerate? I don't recommend books as such for that reason. I just put up reviews and if people like the sound of them, they can go and read them. If I had to pick one, maybe an early Stephen King would be where to start.

6) Why do you read?

I love going into other worlds and other people's adventures to entertain me for a few hours. I like to get caught up in their struggles, laugh at their funny moments and get swept along in an exciting story! I read for entertainment and enjoyment.

29 comments:

  1. Great tag. That's my favorite cover of IT. As a child, my desire for The Shining and Interview With a Vampire sparked my adult library card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cover really sums up what started it all for the Losers Club-I love it! It was a great moment getting that adult library card wasn't it-it felt like getting the keys to the kingdom!

      Delete
  2. Totally Agree! I love horror because it offers such a wide variety of sub-genres, themes, topics, settings, etc. There is No getting bored with horror! Fun tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never get bored with horror! There are so many ways to kill and maim within the genre! OK now I sound strange and twisted...

      Delete
  3. I agree, horror is hard to recommend to people who don't read it. I'd probably go with something that goes down easy like an earlier Stephen King collection so they could get a little taste of different horror delights :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! What if I recommended a really gory one and put someone right off! Things like Carrie and Salems Lot are less frightening than some of what I read. There is also the sexual violence issue in horror to consider when recommending.

      Delete
  4. I have such a hard time picking a favorite genre because I'm a very moody reader! I want to say that fantasy is one that I read the most though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to do one for apocalypse reads too as I also love that genre! I might still do that if I have time this month.

      Delete
  5. There is a wide mix of horror novel scenarios, aren't there? I think that's why it's such a fun genre. But I agree with you, it's not a genre I feel that I can recommend to other people without knowing what they like to read first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very wary about recommending horror except to my dad! You can't really be sure where some people stand on gore levels, torture, sexual violence, dead kids, animal cruelty etc.

      Delete
  6. Oh I like this! I'm gonna pinch it. :)
    My only input on this is that I've actually read a Stephen King! I read Carrie when I was in secondary school and I actually like it.
    This resulted in me reading a couple of James Herbert's for some reason (Once and Moon) and while I enjoyed them, Moon freaked me out so bad that I decided that I can't do horrors, psychological thrillers or anything like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think a potential horror reader can tell how they are going to take to horror unless they try it and when they do, they sort of have to inch along to find their own boundaries! That's how I did it. Gore, violence, torture etc doesn't bother me. I draw the line personally at animal torture and toilet functions torture though! It certainly isn't a genre for everyone!

      Delete
  7. Tags are a lot of fun! I have found though that I have to be either in just the right mood to fill one or or it has to be extremely interesting and lacking all YA anythings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to find a few more of interest this month but I'm coming up short! I might mooch out a few for next month! I agree, you need to be in the mood for book tags as some take ages to do.

      Delete
  8. "mutant things escaping from labs" haha. Sounds awesome to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen King started my love of horror, too. The Tommyknockers was the first King book I read. Compared to his other books, that one is terrible, but I loved it when I was 11.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's not one of his best books but I quite liked the film adaptation. Or was it a mini series? I don't remember now but I liked it at the time!

      Delete
  10. Great tag. I love mutant monsters too. LOL My favorite genre is horror of the human kind. Thrillers for the thrills.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just so much to love in horror! I do plan to read more thrillers next year as well!

      Delete
  11. Horror has always been my favorite genre. Even when I was young I prowled the library shelves, glancing at the binders to find horror stories. I still do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember when I was last in a library! The horror section used to be so enticing but it's mostly the same books that are still there!

      Delete
  12. Fun tag! I wish that my parents had been reading Stephen King when I was a kid. My dad stuck to the TV guide and my mom was all about romance...so I took her romances to read. I have to agree that horror can be a tough genre to recommend to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum was never much of a reader. In her later years she read these true life books about abused kids, cancer stories and other very depressing non fiction! My dad reads most of the stuff I buy now!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful answers!! I love this tag! I'll have to add it to my list to complete someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is it's a short tag and pretty quick to do!

      Delete
  14. Seriously, I couldn't pick one genre or one author. I love YA Horror/Thrillers as my all time favorite. But, I love a good historical romance too. I also seem to really like contemporary romance. But, my fall back on is always, always horror. Always.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apocalypse is pretty high up my list of favourite genres too! I have loads of them to read! But I do always come back to horror as my comfort read!

      Delete