Yes it's that time of the year again, when the Literary Review Bad Sex in Fiction Award is handed out! The award is for “the most egregious passage of sexual description in a work of fiction” and I always have a good laugh looking at the contenders! It reminds me why i avoid these kinds of books!
*** warning-explicit content! NO children!***
THE SHORT LIST (extracts)
1) Scoundrels: The Hunt for Hansclapp by Major Victor Cornwall and Major Arthur St John Trevelyan:
“Empty my tanks,” I’d begged breathlessly, as once more she began drawing me deep inside her pleasure cave. Her vaginal ratchet moved in concertina-like waves, slowly chugging my organ as a boa constrictor swallows its prey. Soon I was locked in, balls deep, ready to be ground down by the enamelled pepper mill within her.AND this passage!
I yearned again for the cogs of her Iron Maiden to grind my glans around inside her like an opera singer with a mouth lozenge.
2) Katerina by James Frey
I’m hard and deep inside her fucking her on the bathroom sink her tight little black dress still on her thong on the floor my pants at my knees our eyes locked, our hearts and souls and bodies locked.
Cum inside me. Cum inside me. Cum inside me.One.
Blinding breathless shaking overwhelming exploding white God I cum inside her my cock throbbing we’re both moaning eyes hearts souls bodies one.
White.
God.
Cum.
Cum.
Cum.
I close my eyes let out my breath.
Cum.
3) Connect by Julian Gough
He drops the bra to the floor, looks up, into her eyes, it’s too much. He kisses her chin, her mouth, and their tongues touch, oh, too much, he slips his lips free with a soft suck. Moves up to kiss her strong nose, on one side, then the other, it’s hard and soft at once. He moves back down, till he is level with her breasts.
‘They’re small,’ she says, surprisingly shy, apologetic.
‘They’re perfect,’ he says.
He kisses them. Teases a nipple with his lips. It’s so soft; and then, suddenly, hard.
Wow.
He sucks on the hard nipple.
He has never done this before, and yet; no, wait, of course, it is totally familiar.
The first thing he ever did.
He feels the huge change in meaning, in status; it is as though he had grown up in a single suck. Everything transformed. And yet nothing has changed at all; he sucks at a nipple as he lies on a bed, and it’s eighteen years later, and he sucks at a nipple as he lies on a bed, and his childhood falls away from him like a burned-out booster stage from a rocket. Its fuel used up. He is now in orbit around a different planet.
4) Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami
My ejaculation was violent, and repeated. Again and again, semen poured from me, overflowing her vagina, turning the sheets sticky. There was nothing I could do to make it stop. If it continued, I worried, I would be completely emptied out. Yuzu slept deeply through it all without making a sound, her breathing even. Her sex, though, had contracted around mine, and would not let go. As if it had an unshakeable will of its own and was determined to wring every last drop from my body.
5) Grace’s Day by William Wall
He’s almost weightless. When he enters me it hurts and my pain belongs to the subterranean world, primitive as the clay. His body is slacker than I expected, a small paunch begins at his waist and settles in a downward parabola to his groin. His pubic hair is red. His erect penis is a surprise although I had imagined what they would feel like, read about them, seen them represented on toilet walls and magazines. I didn’t see it before he entered me, but afterwards it is small and sticky and amusing. I want to touch it but I don’t dare. I don’t know the etiquette. He is twenty or more years older than me. This is sex.
6) Kismet by Luke Tredget
She shuffles her head closer to his cock, close enough to smell her own residue, and then takes it in her mouth, with the vague idea of cleaning it. Geoff mirrors this gesture by burying his head between her legs, and gradually she can feel his cock pumping up with blood, one pulse at a time, until it is long and hard and filling her wide-open mouth. They stay in this position for a long time, Anna sucking and slurping with the same lazy persistence you’d use on a gobstopper or a stick of rock. Eventually she loses her sense of the context altogether – of what she is doing or who she is with or where they are – and becomes an empty vessel for what feels like disembodied consciousness. She looks at the window and wonders how the glass feels encased within its wooden frame, what the shaggy clouds feel like being blown across the sky, what the walls felt like being splattered and smeared with wet paint …
7) The Paper Lovers by Gerard Woodward
He was aware that she was making a mewling sound as he put his lips to her tightened nipple and sucked. Her mouth was at his ear, her tongue travelling along its grooves, voice filling it. His mouth tugged at her, extended her, she snapped back, there was a taste of something on his tongue. In his mind he pictured her neck, her long neck, her swan’s neck, her Alice in Wonderland neck coiling like a serpent, like a serpent, coiling down on him. She had found a way through his clothing and her fingers had lightly touched his cock, then slowly began to take a firmer hold. He wanted to cry like a baby. He felt helpless, as though his body had come undone and she was fastening it. He felt as though he was bleeding somewhere. Then he felt powerful, gigantic. He would have kicked a door down.
AND THE WINNER IS...*drumroll*
JAMES FREY for KATERINA!
I would've went with the first one personally-Scoundrels-as those descriptions are really bad! Which do you think the winner should've been?

They're all winners...and all super bad. I think the one that icked me out the most was Contenders where he flashes back to breastfeeding. Please. I know people love this stuff and I'll never criticize others reading preferences but I'm glad it's not for me.
ReplyDeleteThe thought of reading any of these books gives me the horrors!
DeleteHaha, this is so gross! I agree, the first one is the most heinous. The imagery is just . . . no. I’m not mad that #2 won. Everything about that one is also terrible.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
That first one could give me nightmares it's so dreadful! Ugh! I do get a laugh at this every year!
DeleteOoof, I wasn't quite ready for the post, lol!
ReplyDeleteIt is a bit of a shocker isn't it! I only ever feature content like this once a year for the award itself!
DeleteI don't think I could pick just one...they're all SO bad!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't stop laughing at the pepper mill! I mean WTF!!!
DeleteOh my gosh #2 IS bad, but I don't know- #1 with the whole iron maiden thing lmao!
ReplyDeleteYou wonder that authors than write such rubbish!
DeleteThese always crack me up.
ReplyDeleteI remember reading one years ago where the guy was performing oral sex on a woman and saying it tasted like bad shrimp - as a compliment lol
Karen @ For What It's Worth
That was meant as a compliment???!!! I hope she smacked him one for that!
DeleteThe good thing is I don't see any romance books I read on this list. These were hilarious. Katerina definitely deserved the title.
ReplyDeleteThey are so bad that they're funny!
DeleteAre these passages supposed to be sexy?! They are all pretty terrible. Thanks for the laugh.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine this kind of poor writing getting anyone hot under the collar!
Delete*dies laughing* I didn't realise how bad these were !
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that authors can write this kind of rubbish! It gives me a laugh every year though!
DeleteWell, just well. LOL All I can think is eww.
ReplyDeleteThat was pretty much my reaction Laura! I'm so glad my eyeballs were not subjected to these books in full!
DeleteOh god, I needed this but the timing is awful! I can barely breathe at the moment and the laughing sent me into coughing convulsions!
ReplyDeleteI'm not surprised 2 won but no.1 was awful! The breastfeeding one was really weird and the others were just... Who in their right minds reads this and thinks, "nothing to change here! all good!"? lol
Oh no! I've given you coughing fits now! I must admit this is the highlight of the year for me as I always get a good laugh at the authors! I don't get why anyone would want to read writing that bad!
DeleteI never read them because...well, you have shared some perfect examples. They make me cringe and laugh at the same time.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
They are just so bad! I wonder what the people reading the books thought of those bits!
Delete