Sunday, 16 October 2016

Why do Romance Authors follow me?


It is always nice when you see that you have a new follower of your blog or on Twitter or something. You think to yourself that there must be something you are writing that interests other people. Then you look at their blog or Twitter feed and see that their interests have little or nothing in common with yours and I can't help being curious about why they follow me. I'd love to ask them but that sounds rude, y'know 'why are you following me?' It sounds like you're accusing them of stalking or something! But I'm sooo nosey and would love to know! I like that people with other interests follow me though.

The biggest puzzle for me is why romance authors follow me. They follow me on Goodreads, Twitter and my blog through bloglovin. Now I imagine most authors would want to follow people who like their genre, review it regularly, blog about romance books and buy romance books as these people are more likely to buy your book and tell their friends about it. So why follow me? I would eat my own arms off before I'd read contemporary romance, set myself alight rather than read erotica of any kind and I try as much as possible to avoid any romance in my favourite genres. 

I dislike the love-hate dynamic between male and female MCs, HATE instaluv and despise love triangles, which is why I don't like risking reading YA now. I hate romantic 'heroes' who are violent to women or who think rape is the way to get someone to fall in love with you-that really grates my cheese!!! I cannot abide books with that kind of plot where the guy tries to rape someone who then melts at his touch. NOOOOOOOO! I don't get why that kind of book plot sells so well but hey, I'm not going to be critical of the reading choices of others. What others like reading is their business and they have the right to enjoy their choices. I also hate a female MC who has every man she meets falling at her feet. Sex scenes don't interest me and I just skip them. So you can kinda see why the romance genre is not my thing!

I can get that some romance authors maybe like reading other genres and like following blogs where they can read reviews on those books. But I doubt that applies to all of my romance followers. I mean, one bloglovin follower of mine only reads romance so I can't imagine her getting much out of my blog! There are others whose blogs are purely about beauty and fashion and have nothing about books, so again I'm puzzled at choosing to visit The Book Cave! I'm not one to chase off followers...it would just be nice to know why you chose my blog!

Do you have followers who don't seem to have anything in common with you? What makes you follow a blog of someone who has little in common with you? Why do you think authors follow people who have no interest in their genre? If you are an author why do you follow people who are not going to read your book due to the genre? I'm so curious to hear your thoughts on this!

6 comments:

  1. You bring up a lot of good points. I guess I don't check out my followers that well, but now I'm going to have to. I did have an actor follow me the other day and then he posted a question to me which I found really odd - the only reason I knew he was an actor is because I looked him up. Strange. If you find an answer to this question, please share. I am totally with you on INSTA-love and triangles. I've read a few books where the triangles are done well and make some sense with the plot of the story, but on the whole, they can be rather annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I checked out bloglovin was to try to ensure I followed most of my followers back so I can engage more with them each week, which I hope to do. As you say, the authors rarely leave a comment or anything so I do wonder what they get out of following me!

      I feel that 99 times out of 100, love triangles detract from decent stories. I guess I'm not prepared to sit through 99 shades of annoyance to get that one good one!

      Delete
  2. I get some weird followers, too. Though I read pretty eclectically, so that might be why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got me following you...you can't get much stranger than that! *giggles*

      Delete
  3. Oh yes. I check out my followers when I find new ones, especially on Twitter because I block those that are affiliated with what I like or seem real. I have erotic authors that follow me. Um... no. I've read like 2 that aren't even that heavy into erotica because I loved the authors other works. But some authors that follow me don't even talk to me. So it doesn't make sense. Seems like they are looking at numbers or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Twitter I find I don't get much time to spend there compared to Goodreads and my blog so I'm on briefly twice a day to see what's in the news. I'd like more time to read friends tweets and respond to a few but it's not happening at the moment!

      Delete