Thursday, 20 October 2016

Book Review: Magic of the Gargoyles by Rebecca Chastain


Mika Stillwater is a mid-level earth elemental with ambitions of becoming a quartz artisan, and her hard work is starting to get noticed. But when a panicked baby gargoyle bursts into her studio, insisting Mika is the only person she’ll trust with her desperate mission, Mika’s carefully constructed five-year plan is shattered.

Swept into the gritty criminal underworld of Terra Haven, Mika must jeopardize everything she’s worked so hard for to save the baby gargoyle from the machinations of a monster—and to stay alive…


My Review: 
I read another series by the author which I only rated as 1 star but I liked the sound of this series and decided to give it a try anyway. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this one.

Mika is in a job she hates with a boss she dislikes, trying to save up enough money to go into business for herself. She has her eye on premises for her new business and to get it she is taking on jobs in her free time to get more money and make a reputation for herself, using her elemental magic and affinity for working with quartz. But everything is put on hold when Anya, a panicked panther gargoyle begs her for help to heal her dying sibling Herbert who was almost drained of magic after being used in a dark magic ritual. After discovering that the other siblings are about to be sold for a similar fate at an auction, Mika and her aspiring reporter friend Kylie decide on a rescue plan.

I instantly liked Mika who is just trying to get ahead in life and get out of a dead end job to be her own boss. When she hears about the plight of the gargoyles she is determined to risk her job and new career, and use all her savings to try to save the gargoyle family. She is the kind of character that you like and have sympathy for, so you care about what happens to her. This is what I want to see in my main character. Her friend Kylie I wasn't as sure of, as she put her desire to sell a story about the gargoyles ahead of Mika's privacy and security, which had bad consequences. I'll have to reserve my opinion of her for now.

I liked the fact that this book provided something a bit different in urban fantasy. Firstly we have the wonderful stone based gargoyles who each have their own animal form including lion, panther, cygnet and dragon. They are full of magic that can be used for healing but are being sought by evil people who want to drain their magic to use for their own purposes. Mika's magic and gift for quartz are similar to the gargoyles which allows her to help heal them which is why Anya sought her help. I liked the way that Mika worked with elemental and gargoyle magic and could manipulate quartz as a defence and a weapon. It was different from anything I had read before and I liked that. I also enjoyed the fact that it was not deemed essential to have some pointless romance in it to detract from the story. This was all about the gargoyle story.

It is a short story but I think it was the perfect length to introduce the characters and of course, the gargoyles. Those guys sound so adorable! It is well written without pointless over description or time being wasted-just straight into the story. It also sets up the plot nicely for future books. I certainly intend to look at the next book to see what happens and would recommend this story to urban fantasy and magic fans. 

Read September 2016.
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I have it on my Kindle plus I love Gargoyles. Also, I like the note about when you read it! Makes commenting easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've been confusing everyone with reviews from years ago mixed up with what I just read! Hopefully I'll keep remembering to do it! This was an enjoyable book and I so loved the lovely wee gargoyles! I have high hopes for the series so I hope it stays good!

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one even though you didn't like the other book by this author. This one sounds good and like a book I might enjoy as well. Mika sounds like a great character with how she's trying to get out of the job she doesn't like and start for herself. Oh and gargoyles! That sounds fun too, you don't see those as often. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mika was a great character and the gargoyles are so sweet! I'm always pleased to discover a new series with potential and this certainly has it!

      Delete