Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Chuckles Childhood Book Loves

 

Last time I told you about my dad reading me Tolkien bedtime stories but this time I want to talk about my earliest remembered reads! In my first ever year at school in primary one, aged five, while others played in the sandpit or with the water, I liked going into the reading corner and looking at the books. I can well remember sitting on those hard, small red plastic chairs and reading! My parents had taught me reading basics at home before I started school so I was pretty keen to expand on that at every opportunity!

The official books to teach us to read were Kathy and Mark Basic Readers by Mabel O'Donnell. I think the dog in it was called Socks but it's so long ago I can barely remember it but I did enjoy reading them! My parents were read Janet and John books with Spot the dog! 


My favourite book in the school library which I read countless times is still a childrens classic. So who else read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle?


That brings back memories! My parents then bought me some Ladybird Well Loved Tales. I had quite a collection of these and read them over and over! Do you remember any of these titles?



I loved these books! Chicken Licken was my total favourite and I could quote every bit of the book back then! Ducky Lucky was a great character as I just love ducks for some reason. In my copy, the fox ate everyone, so I must have been a bit of a twisted child!

4 comments:

  1. I don' remember books from when I was that young, but I do recall being obsessed with Black Beauty in 3rd grade. That's about the same time I started reading Nancy Drew mysteries endlessly. I always loved to read and as an only child living in the country with no other kids around, it's pretty much how I amused myself as a child. Thanks for sharing such great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a whole series of these posts planned...hopefully it might trigger some happy book memories for some readers. As a kid I was never bored-I had a great imagination and made up all kinds of games when I wasn't reading! It's funny that I never read Nancy Drew...I'm not sure why but I never picked them up which seems a bit strange given how popular they were. Weird!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I don't remember the books I read when I was that young. At least, not the school ones. I found them so boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In primary one the only one I recall was the Very Hungry Caterpillar and a vague recall of Kathy and Mark. The Well Loved Tales were bedtime stories aged about 6 I think before my dad moved on to The Hobbit!

      Delete