Monday, 31 July 2017

Game of Thrones Review: Season 7 Episode 3


Welcome to my Game of Thrones reviews posts which are an episode by episode guide of season 7. The entire post will be nothing but spoilers so don't read it if you intend to watch it! The format will be done as a house by house analysis, not a minute by minute report. 
 


Jon and Ser Davos arrive at Dragonstone to be greeted by Tyrion and Missandei. Tyrion asks after Sansa and tells Jon that their relationship was unconsumated, and he watches as Drogon does a low fly past, scaring his visitors. Dany reminds Jon of a vow his ancestors made to bend the knee to the Targaryens and he reminds her that her father murdered his uncle and grandfather. Dany asks him to forgive her father's sins, saying he was an evil man. Jon accepts that and says he is not responsible for vows his ancestors made but they need each others help, which Dany is skeptical about. He points out that she is better than Cersei because she hasn't attacked King's Landing, knowing it will kill thousands of innocents. But when he tells her about what is coming from the north, she doesn't believe him or Davos. Varys brings news of Euron's attack.

Tyrion tells Jon that he does believe in what Jeor Mormont saw and what Jon saw north of the Wall but it will take longer to persuade Dany. He asks if there is anything else he can do to help and takes Jon's request about the dragonglass to Dany, urging her to do this favour to form an alliance with a potential ally. Dany tells Jon he can mine the dragonglass with no catches. Sansa takes charge when she sees that they are underprepared for winter and Littlefinger tells her they must be ready for Cersei as well as the White Walkers. Bran and Meera arrive at Winterfell and Bran tries to explain what he is now and Sansa can't handle it. Dany wants to take her dragons after Euron's fleet and The Unsullied arrive at Casterly Rock using Tyrion's sewer passages but find an easier victory than expected and not as many soldiers as there should be and Euron attacking their fleet.












 
Theon is picked up by one of his two remaining ships and his men are unhappy that he did not try to save Yara. Euron parades his three prisoners through the streets of King's Landing to cheers, which he enjoys. Cersei is pleased to be given Ellaria and her daughter and tells Euron he will get what he wants as soon as she wins the war. Jaime is furious when Euron asks him about Cersei's sexual preferences. Cersei begins her revenge on Ellaria by chaining mother and daughter in the dungeon, then kissing Tyene to infect her and telling Ellaria that she will watch her daughter die. Cersei is now happy to flaunt her relationship with Jaime to the servants and tries to persuade The Iron Bank to back her over Dany. 














The Archmaester examines Jorah and declares that he is no longer infectious. He tells Jorah that he is free to go. Jorah thanks Sam for saving his life and Sam says that Jeor Mormont saved him more than once and he was glad to return the favour. The archmaester knows what Sam did and is amazed that he suceeded where so many maesters failed and that he should be proud. Sam is not exiled but gets some punishment duty.


Melisandre watches Jon and Davos arrive from the walls, and Varys questions why she is hiding from them. She admits that she parted from them on bad terms because she made terrible mistakes. She is leaving but when Varys tells her to stay gone, she comments that she will return and that she and Varys must die in foreign lands.


Jaime's main forces have sacrificed Casterly Rock as a diversion while their main forces march on Highgarden and the Tyrell soldiers are easily stopped. Olenna greets Jaime with an enquiry as to how they fought, lamenting that her men were never very good at it. She tries to tell Jaime how evil Cersei is but sees that he loves her too much to care. As she ponders her death, Jaime confirms that Cersei had big plans for her but he is ready to let her drink poison to go quickly. Olenna gets confirmation that it would be painless and drinks, confessing that she murdered Joffrey but didn't expect his death to be so painful. Jaime is shocked by the news and Olenna asks him to tell Cersei that it was her.

My Thoughts:

I'm glad that Dany wasn't quite such a bitch this week with Jon but it frustrates me that she wouldn't listen to him about what is coming. Most people don't believe in her dragons, she has never been in Westeros since she was a baby but she knows better than the former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch about what is beyond the Wall? Come on Dany, get a grip! The diplomatic scenes were nicely done with Ser Davos stealing the scene as he always does.
Yea for Sam saving Jorah! I think he is the only man that Dany could ever love. Bran and Meera arrive at Winterfell to be reunited with Sansa and he is no longer the impatient boy who wanted answers. He is calm and emotionless and ready to learn to use his new powers which should be interesting, if a bit creepy. Loved Varys and Melisandre too.

I really thought that Tyrion would have worked out what Cersei was doing. Euron attacked to destroy Dany's alliance with Ellaria Sand and Yara Greyjoy...so did they not expect Olenna Tyrell to be attacked as well? Olenna said herself that her men do not fight well. I'm also surprised that Tyrion didn't suspect the Casterly Rock trap. The one good thing is that she now needs that alliance with Jon Snow so things will get interesting! Cersei has the upper hand at the moment and I'm not liking it at all. But on the Lannister side of things, I'm getting so frustrated with Jaime for sticking by his bitch sister. He's like a whipped dog and I want to see him leave her and join the real fight but I fear he will die protecting her. The only hope is that Cersei and Euron pair up quickly and Jaime is forced out to find new purpose.

On the down side, I was disappointed by the lack of battle in the battle scenes. I was expecting a big battle for Casterly Rock but it was a damp squib overall which was a pity. I also want to personally strangle the citizens of King's Landing who just cheer and jeer when they feel like it and switch sides, having no loyalty to anyone. Why would they cheer Euron for catching the one who killed Cersei's daughter? I wouldn't have thought they would have cared and maybe came to watch for curiosity. But I can't see them cheering Euron like some kind of hero and jeering Yara who has done nothing to them. That felt totally off as did Cersei flaunting her relationship with Jaime to a servant who could be a spy for someone.  Is she really that dumb? The Iron Bank are like pantomime villains and I can't take them seriously.

On the bright side I liked Olenna's last moment of revenge over her enemies!

14 comments:

  1. Olenna was classy even in her death. So glad she killed Joffrey when so many others wanted to do it. I'm not digging Dany which pains me to say. I think she has sort of became "full of herself." So glad Jon didn't bow to her. And Tyrion - can we just go ahead and put him on the throne? I loved his interaction with Jon. Sam, well Sam is always a joy to see. Couldn't stand the scenes with Cersei and Jamie in bed. Will he EVER open his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dany this season is not making me happy at all. I don't like that she is becoming so cold-I think she needs Jorah back by her side quickly. Jaime is driving me nuts the way he just does everything Cersei tells him to do. He knows she is psycho, she killed everyone and drove their son to suicide!!! Can he not just wake up please???

      Delete
  2. Nice wrap pup! Dany is a bit frustrating but I thought Jon could do better to explain his position. That's the problem with TV shows sometimes, the characters don't communicate. I know they don't want to eat up too many TV minutes, but they could have showed a scene where they're poring over maps of the North in the Painted Table toom and he's explaining about Hardhome and all that. Would have went a long way. Still, I liked the Jon/ Dany dynamic.

    Varys and Melisandre wee great. I agree with you about Jaime. The Highgarden thing was a little goofy to me, I mean the Reach is the most populated of the kingdoms, has tons of men and there's no way a Lannister army of 10,000 men could take it, even w/ Randyll Tarly's forces. But I have to keep reminding myself, this is the show. :) I did love that final scene with Olenna and Jaime!

    Yeah the crowd cheering Euron wouldn't have happened, nor would he be allowed to ride his horse in there and walk right up to the throne! The last time he tried that the Mountain was like no, I don't think so! I guess it's okay now. :) But all in all it was a good episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon is hopeless at diplomacy! Remember his attempts at wooing Lyanna Mormont before the Battle of Winterfell? *cringe* He needs to let Davos do his talking for him! He definitely needed to tell Dany about Hardhome and really paint that picture. This shortened series is going to be frustrating if the conversations all end up like that and we get no battle action! I think Olenna deserved a better battle scene, showing her watching the developments. At least she got a wonderful death scene. Jaime...I just want to PUNCH him right now. What a spineless jelly!!! Euron also drives me nuts. They keep making him look like Jack Sparrow when there is potential to be a really evil villain!

      Delete
    2. Yeah Jaime is a huge disappointment! He's supposed to be the greatest fighter (before he lost his hand) and a lot of his character arc involves his coming to terms with that, along with him realizing Cersei is crazysauce. They're not doing any of that, sadly... and I SO agree! Talk about Hardhome, Jon, you dufus lol. We need some good battles at some point not this shortened thing we got this time. Although from what I know of spoilers, I thin kit's coming. :)

      Delete
    3. I hope we get some action soon. The trailer for the season made it look like all action and actors are saying it is the most fast paced season yet but three episodes in, I'm just expecting more y'know?

      Delete
  3. I am glad Jon did stood his ground, I think he is right those White Walkers are seriously scary and I'd be more worried about them than Cersei.

    I loved seeing Sam cure Jorah, I love his character though it was a shame when his reward was to go through those papers!

    Olenna was fab though, she was really respectable in the face of death and I loved the fact she put a big middle finger up to the Lannisters as she did it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Sam! I want to see more of him in the episodes. I loved Olenna and was sad to see her death but it was a great final scene, fitting for her.

      Delete
  4. This was my least-favorite episode of the new season so far. I felt like there was a lot of talking and not a lot of stabbing. We need more stabbing! I was thrilled that Jon didn’t bow down to Dany. I just don’t have much patience for Dany at this point. Poor Lady Olenna. She was one of my favorites. I have a feeling that my favorites are not going to be treated kindly this season. Olenna is poisoned, Yara is captured, Theon is . . . Theon. I’m putting all my hope in Jon, Sam, and Tyrion to sort this mess out.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited for the battle of Casterly Rock and I could've coped with it being low key if we had got a nice big battle at Highgarden. But shoving both into about 6 minutes is just disappointing. I must admit I haven't loved the episodes so far as the action is lacking.

      Delete
  5. I was hoping Olenna had poisoned the wine because for some reason I KNEW Jaime would pour himself some wine when he got in her chambers. All invaders do that I guess to throw in the invaded face: "I'll help myself to some of your wine because everything that used to be yours is now mine" I was HOPING he died in that scene because I can't stand him anymore. Totally Spineless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is totally spineless now. Compare that to kickass Brienne! I want to see more of her and Tormund as that has so much potential for humour. I know Arya is in the next episode but I so want the Brotherhood to arrive at Winterfell to reunite Arya and The Hound. I loved all their scenes together.

      Delete
  6. They are probably saving their money for a big battle at the Wall in the last episode(s). I do hope so. And I do hope that Ghost turns up again!! And please not only to die -.-

    I also hope they won't have Jaime be that miserable for much longer. It's so obvious he doesn't like where Cersei's going and I don't think he loves her anymore... I see him turning against her towards the end.

    I am very disappointed in Dany's advisers.. They all failed horribly!! Euron is actually the only efficient character so far ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be happy if Ghost dies! I so want Jaime to be the one to kill Cersei. I want to see all the main players unite at Winterfell to go and defend the Wall. I want Littlefinger to die painfully. I'm ok with Sansa dying too as she is bugging me...Yeah GRRM wrote Tyrion to be so smart in the books and tv series but the show writers are doing a poor job with him this series. Surely after Euron attacking Ellaria and Yara, they MUST have suspected that Olenna was a target?

      Delete