Saturday, 22 July 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Another week has ended here at The Book Cave and it was not very productive! I have got very little reading done-a few samples for my post tomorrow, DNFed two books and started a third one. Not great! I spent the mornings blogging, the afternoons watching Game of Thrones season three with my dad (he's in shock about the Red Wedding right now!!!) and being too tired after dinner each night to do anything but watch S8 of Masterchef Australia from last year! It hasn't really been a booky week! I need to come up with some sort of plan or I'll be falling behind in my reading soon. Not sure what to do yet. 

Blogging has been a bit mixed-still three weeks ahead in things like TTT, CWW, GoT Gossip, Chuckles Chat, Chuckles Cover Love which is good but not getting time to do reviews in advance (which I need to tackle today) and I'm not getting to as many blogs as I'd like as often as I'd like. It's a bit frustrating to feel like I'm chasing my tail a bit these last few weeks! I need a plan for this too! I showed restraint again and bought no paperbacks, just downloaded some samples, so this week I'm showing you a few downloads I found in previous weeks but hadn't added to my shelves yet.

DOWNLOADS:



EARLY BIRTHDAY PRESENTS:
I had some gift vouchers from trading books online so I bought myself a few Game of Thrones Banners! Once I get my books sorted and find somewhere to hang these things I'll maybe get some photos on the blog. I have others on order, a few paid for by my dad as early presents, some others as a treat for myself! Hopefully they will arrive next week. Exciting! My house is going to look like the Hand of the King tourney from season one!!!


Chuckles Blogging World:
 As I mentioned earlier I feel a bit like I'm chasing my tail and always trying to catch up on things before each weekend. I need to cut off a few blogs that never interact with me and use my time better. But I have found some good posts to enjoy this week and I'll always give priority to my best blogging pals! As always, a link is provided for each blog post from last week to take you straight to anything you missed. Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog! Don't forget to check out my Next Week section to see what excitement is coming...

Book Reviews:
This week was not great again for getting book reviews posted and I really need to get my review notes and get them into reviews ready to post when I need them instead of scrambling to get one written and posted on the same day. It's frustrating that I can't seem to get myself organised with this! Today I need to get motivated and do a few as I'm still looking at notes on books I read back in May! What I think I'll do to mix it up a bit is stop concentrating on getting all the reviews written for May read books and just write any from May, June and July that I feel like writing. Maybe that will help me get things done quicker!

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Horizon (EH #1)

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Edge (EH #2)

Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Age (EH #3)

Regular Features:
I'm three weeks ahead in most of my Regular Features which I'm happy with. It's going to be a big help in allowing me time to go lurking on your blogs and watching some Masterchef Australia which I LOVE! This week on Cover Love I featured Sarah J Maas, I brought you the best of the bloggyverse in Around The Blogs With Chuckles, Top Ten Tuesday continued my look at the Best Urban Fantasy Series, Can't Wait Wednesday was all about the apocalypse which looks great, Feed my TBR looked at sea monsters! I also have a new feature where I share a few thoughts on book samples I've downloaded, called Chuckles Goes Sampling.

Chuckles Cover Love-Sarah J Maas

Around The Blogs With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-Best Urban Fantasy Series pt 3

Can't Wait Wednesday-Brothers

Feed My TBR-Sea Monsters

Chuckles Goes Sampling

Discussion Posts: 
Chuckles Chat this week looks at what I don't get about Selfies, while  my Game of Thrones Gossip looks at Dany in Qarth!

Chuckles Chat-Selfies

Game of Thrones Gossip-Qarth

Special Features: 
none this week

Book Tags: 

A-Z Bookish Survey Book Tag

Book Challenge Updates:

New-To-Me July Challenge Update

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 150/250.I didn't finish a single book, DNFing two, starting a third and reading a few samples.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 809. *grimaces* I hope the sampling for the second half of the year instead of impulse buying helps.

Currently Reading/Next Up:  
Out of the three books I highlighed as my next reads on last Saturday's post, I DNFed The Immortals and Six of Crows but I have started The Shadowkiller and it has been good so far so fingers crossed. I really need to get that finished tonight and get back on track. With time running out on this month's reading time, I'm switching to a few shorter books by new-to-me authors. Next up, I hope to get these books read.


Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features Kasey MacKenzie, Top Ten Tuesday features part 4 of my Urban Fantasy list, Can't Wait Wednesday features a very long awaited book, Game of Thrones Gossip features Joffrey Baratheon, Chuckles Chat looks at ARCs. There will also be a Game of Thrones special post on S7 Ep 2 to enjoy and reviews of samples from my ereader! There will also be a chance to give your feedback on the features on this blog and a newly created book tag if I get it done in time!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

18 comments:

  1. Sorry it hasn't been a productive week!! But yay for binge-watching!

    Ah no I'm so sad to see you DNF-ed Six of Crows!!! Ahhh!! That's disappointing :( What didn't you like about it? Was it too boring?

    Hope you have a terrific week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Six of Crows, I found it very slow and over descriptive for my tastes and I didn't really like any of the characters. 100 pages in and not even planning the heist yet was really slow!

      Have a good week too!

      Delete
  2. I'm getting behind as well. Maybe we need a blog-ahead-a-thon?!

    Looks like a good haul for you, as usual! Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea! I seem to do ok with writing my other posts but I just can't seem to get motivated to write reviews and when I do, I'm trying to get it over with as quick as I can!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see your GoT banners! And yay it's almost Sunday- another episode! Good luck with the reading this week. I had an okay reading week, but yeah it could have been better.

    Ooh Joffrey this week! Can't wait for that! Sorry to hear The Immortals and Six of crows didn't work out. I finished The Immortals and liked it in some ways, but the second book kinda lost me and I'm thinking of just ignoring the third book. We'll see I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfolded the three banners that came yesterday and they are huge, at least double the size I expected! I'm going to have a crisis trying to find somewhere to hang the whole collection! This weekend my dad watched the end of season three and the first two in season four so he's still in shock about the two weddings! He wants to watch Joffrey's wedding again to look for clues!

      I really didn't like the MC in either book and reviews of The Immortals highlighted an unconvincing romance sO I figured I'd stop before I got to that. Six of Crows was just way too slow and over descriptive!

      Delete
  4. Those banners are the most awesome thing ever! Reminds me that I have not been able to start watching the new season yet. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're huge! They are so big I don't know where to put them...but I love them!

      Delete
  5. Those are some sweet banners! I've never thought about what great decorations they would make around the house.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly very colourful and I love them! I'm just trying to persuade my dad to put them up all over the house! He's becoming a big fan so he might agree!

      Delete
  6. Ancient Magic looks really cool, Chuckles!! I hope you'll enjoy that and your other new books :)
    Sorry about the DNFs! I have been SO lucky with the books I've read lately, I've been on a great streak of loving everything I read.
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DNFs didn't get me off to a good start for the week, that's for sure! Still I have looked at a few good ones this week which I'm happy about.

      Delete
  7. Hidden Sight looks super cool - I love that cover. I hope it lives up to it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the banners and can't wait to see how you use them. It's super cool your dad has bought you some as well. It's nice you and your dad are enjoying GoT together. I know my dad would have loved the show. I'm super excited for the new episode tonight. I've been a tad under the weather this weekend and haven't read or blog hopped much - now I need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading it at the moment and I think you might like the shapeshifter companion who is man by night, dog by day! My dad and I are four episodes into season five now so we'll start getting to the really good stuff tomorrow! Hope you are feeling better now...maybe a duvet weekend with Jon Snow...?

      Delete
  8. It is so hard to fit everything into a week isn't it? Any time I decide to do one thing it just means that something else doesn't get done. I think it is great that you are enjoying GoT with your dad. Enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was working or had kids I don't think I'd ever get anything done! My dad has been pretty surprised by a few things in season three or four so the next two seasons will blow his mind!

      Delete
  9. I remember the shock of seeing the Red Wedding for the first time. When the episode ended, I was like “Noooooo!” I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a real shocker! So was poor Shireen!

      Delete