Thursday, 6 July 2017

Book Review: Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine (Morganville Vampires #5)


In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, the master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn't the only threat.

Violent black cyclone clouds hover, promising a storm of devastating proportions as student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against elements both natural and unnatural.


My Review: 
It is war in Morganville as Bishop and his supporters stage a coup and the town burns. A resistance group of humans and vampires sets up in the Glass House as Amelie sets out her plans for defence of Morganville. Shane is sent out as bait with the infamous book that Bishop wants, driving around in the Bloodmobile, to Claire's distress. Michael and Richard lead a group to protect the college students while Claire, Hannah and Amelie go to rescue Myrnin. Eve is to hold Common Grounds against the enemy while Sam's group protect the Founder houses. Everyone loyal to Amelie is working together to stop Bishop.

However, the chaos in the town inspires Frank to lead his anti-vampire forces onto the streets to try and take over the town while Amelie is busy with her civil war. Those like Monica who are seen as pro-vampire are also being targeted by angry mobs. Amelie compels her vampires to come to her to gather her forces but it leads to some walking out in the sunlight and being burned. If this wasn't enough to deal with, a heavy storm is coming to Morganville with a tornado threat and citizens heading to the City Hall bomb shelter are now in danger of being Bishop's hostages. The gathering storm darkens the skies which allows both sets of rival vampires to be out battling on the streets during the day.

It is a tough time for the human residents of Morganville. They are given their assignments in the fight to keep control of their town and each task involves danger and fighting alongside Amelie's vampires. Claire and Hannah, a former soldier, are part of Amelie's team as they go looking for the missing Myrnin. It is up to the humans to seek to rescue Myrnin while the vampires fight off Bishop's people. Others are taking the opportunity to join Frank and hope to be able to overthrow both sets of vampires which is somewhat crazy given the circumstances. Others are keeping their heads down and hiding. It is a crazy scenario with constant fighting between the vampire forces as Amelie moves through the town to find Myrnin.

The vampire war itself was interesting as the reader is rooting for those like Oliver who have been bad guys so far, but who are on the right side of this battle. With the Morganville Vampires split on who to swear loyalty to, the fight is in the balance all the way through the book. There is a lot of action and lots of fights between the two sides. Claire's group are in the thick of it as she is with the main target Amelie, and looking for where Myrnin has been locked up. It is quite a tense mission. The addition of Frank trying to take advantage of the situation just makes matters worse for everyone involved.

I liked the addition of the storm element. The darkening skies allowing the vampires to fight and plot during the day was fun, and as the storm closes in it adds an extra sense of menace to the plot. The town is already trying to protect itself from Bishop and now they have the added fear of a tornado coming their way. By the time the storm actually hits, the battle is at its peak and the humans are just trying to find somewhere safe to wait it out. But of course with vampires preying on people, City Hall is not going to be a safe place at all.

I really enjoyed the fast pace of this book and the way the resistance was prepared and the plans set in motion. There is something happening on every page and with the way the book ended, I had no hesitation in moving staight on to book six!
 
Read April 2017.
5 stars. 

8 comments:

  1. This is an intriguing series. Lots of bloggers like yourself have given the books such good reviews but I can't quite bring myself to start on a vampire book. I'd love to read Rachel Caine though and am going to go with Stillhouse Lake I think. What is your next favourite fantasy series of hers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually greatly liked her other series! I found Weather Warden too slow for me when I tried that years ago. I haven't read Stillhouse Lake or Ink and Bone and I'm not sure if I will or not. Soooo many other books to read!

      Delete
  2. HAHAHA! I love the "Dump Meyer's Twilight" :D you Won't believe this since I make fun of romance and sparkling vamps BUT I really liked Meyers books and the movies AND I was craving them this week [winks] when I "male fun" of romance and all that the intention is to make fun of myself. :)
    I have a weakness for any story that has a "resistance" on it so I think I would enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind the sparkly vampires thing as it was doing something a bit different. The Twilight books were decent reads though at times could be slow but I much prefer Morganville!

      Delete
  3. This is a series that I am pretty sure that I would enjoy. I do like the sound of it. I will have to try to work this one in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy you're not kidding about the covers. Awesome. The storm allowing them to operate by day is a nice touch, and it sounds like a lot of chaos breaks out in this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book! It was pretty much full on action!

      Delete