Monday, 24 July 2017

Game of Thrones Review: Season 7 Episode 2 (spoilers!!!)


Welcome to my Game of Thrones reviews posts which are an episode by episode guide of season 7. The entire post will be nothing but spoilers so don't read it if you intend to watch it! The format will be done as a house by house analysis, not a minute by minute report. 


On Dragonstone, a howling storm seems to match Dany's mood as she talks to her advisors. Tyrion thinks that if other great houses will join them, they could take King's Landing without mass bloodshed. Dany turns her wrath on Varys for serving her father, then the usurpers, then Viserys and then her, selling her to Khal Drogo and using his spies which led to an attempted assassination. Varys does not believe he is disloyal and says he only serves the people rather than blind loyalty to incompetant Kings, pointing out his beginnings as a slave and offering. Dany tells him not to plot but tell her if she is failing the people but warns she will kill him if he betrays her. Melisandre arrives to pledge her support and Varys gets her to admit that her help didn't end well for Stannis. Dany is willing to forgive those who served other Kings. She is intrigued when hearing about the prophecy of the Prince that was promised and Melisandre says both Dany and Jon Snow have a role to play. Tyrion vouches for Jon as a potential ally and Dany sends a summon to him. Greyworm and Missandei go to bed together.


Jon, Sansa and Davos discuss the letter. Sansa thinks that Tyrion is not like other Lannisters but the risk to Jon is too great. Davos points out that her dragons would be the best way to fight the wights in the north. Arya pays a surprise visit to Hot Pie who is pleased to see her. He tells Arya that the Boltons are dead and that Jon is in charge at Winterfell and is King In The North, which makes Arya turn for home. Jon receives the message from Sam about the dragon glass and knows that he must get Dany to let him mine it and hopes to get her to ally with him to fight the White Walkers. Sansa is sure that it is a trap and thinks Jon needs to stay with his people, which his bannerman and Lyanna Mormont agree with. Jon decides to take Davos and take the risk of meeting Dany, leaving Sansa in charge. Littlefinger makes the mistake of declaring his love for Sansa to Jon, who threatens to kill him if he touches his sister. Arya is surrounded by a wolf pack and reaches out to Nymeria who lets Arya go but is no longer willing to be with her.

  
Cersei calls the Tyrell bannermen to her to ask them to support her, calling the Tyrell's traitors who are bringing Unsullied and Dothraki hoardes to the city to kill everyone. She reminds the men what Dany did to the Masters in Slaver's Bay with her men and dragons. Qyburn shows Cersei the dragon skulls in the dungeons and shows her how his new weapon could kill them.


Randyll Tarly attends King's Landing at Cersei's summons and asks her how she intends to stop the dragons, which Qyburn answers by saying they are working on something. Jaime tries to persuade Randyll to be his general in the battle to which he is told that House Tarly swore an oath to House Tyrell and they are not oathbreakers. Jaime then offers him Warden of the South if he is loyal to his Queen. At the Citadel, the Archmaester tells Jorah that in six months the greyscale will destroy his mind and that he will give Jorah one last day. Sam is determined to risk his place and career to try a dangerous treatment which may cure him and Jorah decides to let him try.


Olenna Tyrell, Yara Greyjoy and Ellaria Sand join Dany's War Council. They are in favour of attacking King's Landing even if it kills many innocent people. Tyrion says that they do not poison innocent young girls and Ellaria retorts that Myrcella was a Lannister and she wishes Oberyn had not died to fight for Tyrion. Tyrion says that a siege around King's Landing must only involve troops from Westeros as Cersei will use the fear of foreign invaders to unite the Houses against Dany. Yara will transport the Dorne fighters to King's Landing to join House Tyrell while Dany's armies will take Casterly Rock from Cersei. Yara and Ellaria are just getting cozy on the ship when Euron's troops attack. Ellaria is taken hostage with daughter Tyene and two of her Sand Snakes are slaughtered in battle. Theon flees when Euron captures Yara rather than fight his uncle.

My thoughts:
Firstly, I never much liked the dumb Sand Snakes so I didn't care about their demise this week and it was interesting to see the psycho side of Euron Greyjoy instead of the clownish aspects that we've seen so far. I liked Ellaria until Myrcella was killed but perhaps now that she is going to be handed over to Cersei, I will feel sympathetic towards her again. How is the attack by Euron going to dent plans for a siege of King's Landing? If Yara's fleet were on their way to Dorne to collect Ellaria's forces, then the plan can still go ahead but the Dornish may have to go by land rather than sea as Dany's forces need their ships for the attack on Casterly Rock. The fact that Ellaria was asking Yara if she had been to Dorne would suggest that they were on their way there. I hated Randyll Tarly when he treated Sam so badly but he showed some steel when Jaime was trying to manipulate him.

This was the first moment when I didn't much like Dany. She is very cold to Varys who has been loyally supporting her since arriving from King's Landing and helping her to rule in Meereen yet she was warmer to Melisandre who tried to put Stannis on the throne by burning people. Her attitude of Jon kneeling to her before even meeting him does not make me greatly happy. She is becoming a bit too much like her father for my liking. I loved seeing the backbone that Varys showed when Dany was questioning his loyalty and I just love his character. Tyrion shows his worth bycoming up with the ideal plan which Euron then wrecks. The other person that I really don't like at the moment is Sansa. I'm tired of her undermining Jon in front of his men and not even trying to see things from his point of view. She is becoming the whiny bitch that I really disliked in season one and to be honest I wouldn't care much if she died.

Please let us see the demise of Littlefinger this season! Hopefully Arya will take care of him when she gets to Winterfell. I'm glad she visited Hot Pie but I'm also sad that Nymeria wouldn't go with her. Maybe the wolves will stay close as protectors until she reaches Winterfell. I also want to see Jaime leave Cersei and go north to Winterfell to hook up with Brienne but that was probably wishful thinking. My favourite thing in this episode was Sam going heroic and determined to save Jorah even if it ends his career at the Citadel. Watching him go rogue has been very satisfying and I hope that he can cure Jorah. Go Sam!!!

What are your thoughts on this episode?



12 comments:

  1. I really hope we haven't seen the last of the wolves. I keep thinking they will come back and help Arya in some way - if not, why else did we see them? I keep thinking maybe Littlefinger will try to stop Arya from returning and when he does, maybe Nymeria will kill him. That would be awesome!

    I also didn't care much for Dany last night but since I think the whole season is leading to her ending up in bed with him so who knows what else will happen. I agree with Sansa. She actually looked rather smug when she was left in charge. I hope we don't end up with another Cersei on our hands.

    I fight scene was awesome! So dramatic and so much to watch. I couldn't help but scream when Theon jumped overboard. I mean, he was brave enough to help Sansa escape in the past so what happened last night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't object to Nymeria snacking on Littlefinger! I want to see the end of him and Sansa this season as my patience with her has run out.I really don't want to see Dany and Jon together, knowing they are related. I want to see him just rule the North!

      I think Theon knew he couldn't take Euron in a fight and he would die if he did. I can see him going looking for help. It would be interesting if Jon's ship picks him up...

      Delete
  2. I loved how this one started with the fierce storm! So appropriate for Dragonstone! And her taking varys to task- loved that. I liked too that she was willing to listen to Melisandre and not just dismiss her or sweep her aside. Dany, Jon and Melisandre- that's a pretty good alliance!

    Man Nymeria was HUGE! And I was a little sad when she turned away, but hopefully we haven't seen the last? Missandei and GW was a bit much for me, but that's HBO. I kept thinking they could be spending all that sexy time on other stuff! lol

    The Sand Snakes suck although they're poorly written. Good riddance though! I thought they were all killed at the end hanging from the prow, so I got that wrong. I didn't mind Dany in this one but I definitely see your point. Asking Jon to kneel- not sure that's gonna fly! And I guess I'm a little more tolerant of her taking Varys to task because I always think of book Varys, and you never know with him. But on the show he's more free of the book baggage and a more straighforward ally of Dan, so I think she realizes it now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Varys and felt for him when she questioned his loyalty! I love him and Tyrion together. I have no time for Melisandre after what the bitch did to Shireen. I can't stand her!

      I think most of us believe that Nymeria was there for a reason and will come to Arya's aid at a later date. I think Cersei would want Ellaria and her daughter alive so she can kill the daughter as revenge for Myrcella. It makes me think there is a spy within Yara's fleet...Yeah the sand snakes were a giant waste of time in the show and added nothing so I don't care much about them being gone!

      Delete
  3. I was wondering when Nymeria would come back. I hope we see more of the wolves.

    I don’t like Sansa at all, and I’m not the biggest fan of Dany, either. I hope Jon puts up a fight and doesn’t just kneel to Dany. They’d make great allies, but her attitude gets on my nerves sometimes.

    That ship battle was intense. I freaked out because I like Theon and Yara. They’re interesting. My reaction was, “TV show, if you kill them, I will end you.” I was happy to see the Sand Snakes go, though.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sansa just drives me nuts as she's such a walking victim! Her lying to protect Joffrey cost her Lady's head, agreeing to marry Ramsay on the advice of Littlefinger who just killed your aunt, telling Theon her escape plan after he betrayed her whole family at that stage was dumb, and now undermining Jon as if she is a Queen? Ugh! Kill her already!

      I don't think anyone is shedding tears for the Sand Snakes but I do hope Yara survives as I like her.

      Delete
  4. oh Game of Throne is ON! life is wonderful! the universe is a great place to be! I loved these two first episodes a lot. I don't like Dany getting so bitchy though I suspect thy are gonna turn her into a villain to make pretty boy John the King and that is getting my inner feminist VERY pissed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at my happiest when I'm emersed in Westeros! My dad is slowly catching up and he's now watched the first four episodes of seson five. I can't wait to see his face at the end of the season! I actually want Tyrion on the Iron Throne as I believe he would let Jon rule the North which I don't see Dany doing.

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of the wolves, led by Nymeria, being the silent protectors of the North! As much as I wanted to see Arya and Nymeria together again.. I like the way it ended, although it made me sad!

    I liked the speech Varys gave and am totally with him there.

    I wonder how it will all work out if Arya AND Bran arrive at Winterfell at the same time... Soo annoying that they will miss Jon. I want Arya & Jon to team up again so badly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that Nymeria is happy with her pack but I just wanted her and Arya to be back together! I love Varys and I was cheering him on when Dany was being such a bitch to him! I think we'll see Bran and Arya at Winterfell very soon and I can't wait for their reunion with Jon. Will Jon hand Winterfell over to Bran? Will Sansa have a hissy fit about not being head Stark at Winterfell? Will Nymeria eat Littlefinger?

      Delete
  6. I did go a little green when Sam started poking about Jorah but if anyone can cure him then Sam can, he is such a determined guy.

    It was great to see Nymeria and I kinda hoped that she'd team up with Arya again but they have been apart from each other for a long time and they both have their own paths.

    Daenerys is still kickass but it was nice to see Varys stand up to her.

    Roll on next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That treatment that poor jorah was getting looks so painful but yea to Sam for being determined to try to save him! Varys is just totally kick ass these days!

      Delete