Tuesday, 4 July 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

TTT is taking a break until August so now I need to think up my own topics which is not going to be easy. I'm starting this week with the first part of an urban fantasyfest:

Best Urban Fantasy Series part 1
 

1) James R Tuck-Deacon Chalk
Deacon Chalk is a badass slightly enhanced monster-killer taking on evil vampires, helped by a Catholic Priest bartender, computer whizz girl, strippers from his club and a variety of shifters. There is a ton of action, humour and emotion with hints at a future romance but no instaluv or tropes. I love this series and can't wait for the next one! You can get the Prequel free online-That Thing At The Zoo.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11843017-blood-and-bullets

2) RL Naquin-Monster Haven
Zoey discovers she is an empath who attracts various monsters looking for guidance and sanctuary. With her super baking Closet Monster roomie Maurice, she tries to help brownies, Skunk Apes, djinn, sea monsters, harpies and all kinds while tracking down an incubus serial killer who threatens all women in the town. Great humour and I LOVE Maurice so much! He cooks, he cleans and he is adorable!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14624355-monster-in-my-closet 

3) Kendra C Highley-Matt Archer Monster Hunter
Matt defends his uncle from a Sasquatch attack on a camping trip with what turns out to be a magic knife and becomes part of his uncle's secret monster hunting military team. The kids are mature, no dumb tropes, there is action, death, monsters and humour and a LOT of twists and shocks. I totally love this series and if you like kickass urban fantasy with mutant monsters and a close knit group of hunters, then grab this series!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15773126-matt-archer 


4) DD Barant-The Bloodhound Files
Jace tracks dangerous mentally unbalanced killers but is suddenly taken from her reality to a world ruled by vampires and shifters, where all the rules have changed. Her new vampire boss wants her and her golem parner Charlie to find a deranged human who is murdering supernaturals. I loved the first book with its action and humour and the character of Charlie with his fedora hat is brilliant!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6295913-dying-bites 

5) Kelley Armstrong-Women of the Otherworld 
We start with the werewolf pack but soon meet witches, demons of various kinds, an avenging angel, clairvoyant and vampires, all strong women who are trying to defeat the forces of evil including magical mafia cabals and deadly humans. The book has lots of action, some romance which does fit nicely, humour and lots of good plot twists. I particularly love the Pack! Lots of magic and great male characters as well. What more do you want in your urban fantasy?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/910153.Bitten

6) Sonya Bateman-Deathspeaker Codex 
When Gideon helps a werewolf escape from a group of supernatural hunters, he discovers he is part Fae and needs to learn to use those powers to evade capture. When fellow supernaturals are taken, he has to assemble a motley crew of monsters to attempt a rescue. This had good humour, characters you care about and lots of action.  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28920576-wrong-side-of-hell 


7) Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson  
Mercy is a mechanic and coyote, living next door to a werewolf pack, in a town full of Fae, vampires and other beasts. When the Alpha is injured and his daughter is kidnapped Mercy must find Jesse and use the powers of her friends and the Pack to rescue her. I love this series so much! It has everything urban fantasy lovers could want-action, humour, great characters and believable romance.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10125367-moon-called 

8) Rachel Caine-Morganville Vampires 
Claire has just discovered that her new town is run by vampires and you don't go out alone after dark. With her half ghost landlord Michael, roomies goth Eve and fighter Shane, they try to live with the vampires, look after the town and solve crimes and mysteries. This is for more than YA readers-great mix of good and evil vampires, great chemistry with the four MCs and a pile of action and humour to enjoy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6667618-glass-houses 

9) DelSheree Gladden-Someone Wicked This Way Comes 
The Roth family have a secret, a terrible hunger that makes them commit brutal violence they can't control, preventing a normal life. Now Van and Zander face new arrival Ivy who seems determined to test them both. Van wants to keep her away from her brother but Zander wants to love AND murder Ivy...this four part urban fantasy has heartbreaking emotion, great characters, evil bad guys and a battle between good and evil. Classed as YA it is also dark and has mature characters adults will enjoy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18191070-wicked-hunger 

10) Nicholas Olivo-Caulborn 
Vincent is a supernatural secret agent and in another dimension he is a God, whose subjects prayers keep his magic topped up. With help from gadget obsessed newbie Megan, German gremlin Gearstripper (think Dobby!) and stone girlfriend Petra, he must find kidnapped supernaturals, avoid the Four Horsemen, The Grim Reaper and the God of Oaths, and save his worshippers. Loved the non stop action, the characters and the humour. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12816949-imperium 

10 comments:

  1. I need to read some more Kelley Armstrong! I've a bunch of her books on the backlog, but have only read... I think one of her YA trilogies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically I haven't liked any of her YA stuff-too many tropes for me! I LOVE the characters in her Otherworld series though as they are strong men and women and the women take the starring roles.

      Delete
  2. I like to think of myself as an avid urban fantasy fan, but goodness I don't think I've read any of these! Looks like I've got some research and catching up to do!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just for fun Mogsy, I have another three similar posts to come for the next few weeks! I'm out to destroy everyone's tbrs!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if I should give the Armstrong series a try. I'd like to read more urban fantasy but have trouble finding ones i like.

    Monster in my Closet looks great, and so does Blood & Bullets. I love monster hunters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every genre is hit and miss. I've read some UF that I really didn't like that others raved about...I might do a TTT post on that to give more options to UF fans. Just coz I didn't like it is no reason not to promote it!

      Delete
  4. I ADORE the Women of the Underworld series as well as the Mercy Thompson one. I know you LOVE the Monster Haven books and am pretty sure you are the reason I picked some up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love Maurice! I'd marry the guy tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. I just loaded the audio for Dying Bites on my phone. I bought it a while ago but will try to listen to it next based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the rest of the series lives up to this book. I so much love Charlie!

      Delete