Friday, 21 July 2017

Chuckles Chat #26 Selfies

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

Chuckles is about to show her technophobe side again on the subject of Selfies! 

I love photography and I like nothing better on holiday or a day out than to take a few scenic photos. Some make it onto my blog, but most are just for my personal enjoyment. It's great to look back at these memories and remember a great day or trip. I have a digital camera-a Panasonic Lumix which I love...but I've never taken a selfie or ever plan to!

It's really twofold for me. I'm very fat and I hate getting my photo taken. In fact I hated getting my photo taken even when I was thin! There is no urge to shove my fat face into every shot I take! I like scenic photography so I really don't want to put myself at the front with a scenic landscape shoved behind me like an afterthough. For me, the important thing is the scenery, not showing that I'm there y'know?

That's not to say that I don't understand why people take selfies on a holiday. I get why you want to be seen at various landmarks and enjoying your holiday. Sure I get that. It's no different from someone taking a photo of a friend or family member at the gates of Buckingham Palace or something, all about capturing memories. I even understand using that selfie stick thing to get a better photo of you at whatever place you go to. Nothing weird about any of that.

What I don't get is the urge to take multiple selfies every day of your own face in exciting locations like your bathroom! My neighbour's friend takes 200-250 selfies a DAY of her own face and nothing else and in every one she has that same twisted pout, reminding me of a trout at the fish counter in Morrison's supermarket! This I don't greatly understand. Why do you feel the need to take all these photos of yourself every day, then pour over them for hours to decide which are the perfect ones to put online for others to look at? Is it a desire for attention? Is it pure vanity? What is the point of it? All I know is this girl goes into a mood if she doesn't get enough likes or if there are critical remarks from trolls. I don't see why people care so much about compliments from strangers, I really don't! Sure it's nice if someone likes my book posts but I don't go and cry if it gets no comments!!! 

And why that same pout??? Why not just do a nice smile? Every time we see something on TV about a dead teenager, the photo used in the story is always one of those weird pouts that makes the poor girl look a bit odd. Is there an actual reason for the face pulling thing? I don't personally think it makes anyone look attractive! Do people actually enjoy looking at these kinds of photos of other people pouting? If so, what do they like about them? If I'm looking at a blog or social media site, the last thing I want to see is a pile of this kind of photo. I'd rather see you smiling with a book in your hand, photos of the books and nice shots of your holidays and stuff. I'm not greatly interested in trout pouts in the dimly lit bathroom!

There is also this desire to take inappropriate selfies at disaster sites. In my terrorism post about the Westminster Bridge attack, I showed a photo of a man taking a selfie in front of the ambulances attending to the dying and injured and that made me so mad! Recently arseheads have been travelling to the Grenfell Tower in London after that horrific disaster to taking selfies of them SMILING in front of the burned shell of the building. How sick are these morons? And don't get me started on idiots taking selfies on train tracks and on cliff edges and getting themselves killed! Gah, the stupidity of some people...

I guess my thoughts on selfies is that they are fine in the right time and place but I don't get the obsessed side of it at all. What are your thoughts on selfies? Do you take many and what kind? Do you rage when people don't *like* them? Do you think people are too obsessed with their looks and getting attention online? Is the selfie causing body image issues for kids and teenagers?

9 comments:

  1. I think selfies can easily promote poor body images. I don't really question when kids do it because...well, they are kids are we already know they don't make the best choices. However, I hate seeing celebs famous mainly for posting selfies (I'm looking at you Kim Kardashian) because really, is that going to solve world problems or create peace. I do enjoy looking at dog selfies because they are so darn cute - that's more my speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celebrities pouting all the time do my head in! I can't be bothered with people like the Kardashians who are famous for trying to be famous...ugh! Ah dog selfies are different...I don't mind them!

      Delete
  2. I so wonder the same thing!!! I think in many many ways we have become a narcissistic global society. Even more we already were! It's not only the selfie but the constant putting your status out there "I'm single" "I'm in a complicated relationship" "I'm hopping" etc. etc etc Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to want to use computers for everything. Online dating, for example, would never appeal to me! Actually dating in general holds no appeal for me! I'm happy with my books, my dvds, Jon Snow fantasies and my cuddly toys!

      Delete
  3. I love landscape photography, but I’ve never been into selfies. Probably because I’m not too pretty. I think I’ve taken 3 selfies in my life? One was when I chopped off most of my hair. One was after I hiked through a huge sandstorm in Death Valley. One was right after I finished reading part of my grad school thesis to a conference room full of people. I took that selfie to prove that I hadn’t had a heart attack and died.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll just stick to being behind the camera, right?!! I liked your reason for the third selfie! I guess I'll just have to stay a technophobe!

      Delete
  4. Yeah I don't get it either. I mean I can see once in a while, but constantly? And yeah they all look the same- they keep taking selfies with the same expression lol? Um, okay, we got it ha ha! I do think to a certain extent it is a way to get affirmation or whatever- how many "likes" or comments can I get, etc? Even the term selfie irritated me for the longest time lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the word selfie as well, for some reason...not sure why! Maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old woman like Olenna Tyrell!

      Delete
  5. I don't think there's anything wrong with selfies. If someone wants to take pictures of themselves, then go for it! I used to take selfies all the time when I was a little bit younger LOL. With most of them, I never did anything with them or showed them to anyone or posted them anywhere, I just took them for myself because it was fun. Kind of like a fun way to appreciate myself. Or if I went somewhere and didn't have anyone to take a picture for me, then yeah I just take it myself with whatever was in the background. Sometimes I'd even just take a selfie to commemorate if something exciting happened to me so that I'd have something to remember it by. But I do think it possibly gets into the realm of unhealthy if someone is taking them with the sole purpose of getting attention online and then gets really upset if they don't get that attention. And it's definitely inappropriate to take a selfie at a disaster site like that. There is very much a time and place for selfies.

    ReplyDelete