Thursday, 20 July 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #25 Qarth

Welcome to my Game of Thrones Gossip, where all of us fanatics get the chance to discuss everything we love about this amazing TV series. I did a few spoiler free posts about the series last year but I found that there were other bloggers out there who were also itching to talk more freely about favourite characters and events without spoiling things for those visiting the blog. So I decided to do a whole series of these discussion posts that let us say everything we want and enjoy every second of it! The topics may talk about a death, an event, a character or be season reviews and so on. Please feel free to comment fully and without restriction!

I have to warn you that it is important that you have seen all six seasons before reading any of these posts because these posts and blogger comments will be oozing and exploding spoilers all over the place. If you haven't watched the series and plan to, be warned that it's a bad idea to be here right now! I take no responsibility if you read on and things are spoiled for you nor do I take responsibility for any mistakes on the pages I link you to.

For those of you who stuck with me through my season one posts, thank you loads! Now I'm going to look at the main characters introduced in season two, what our season one characters were doing in season two and looking at all the bests bits. Enjoy the season two posts! 

 
Dany and the Dothraki have struggled through the Red Waste and finally come to the city of Qarth. The Thirteen who have joint rule in the city are prepared to let them enter the city if they can see the dragons. Dany does not wish to do so until they are secure inside the walls and being looked after so it looks as if they are initially going to be turned away to die but Xaro Xhoan Daxos offers to ensure Dany's people behave as his guests.


Xaro is an ambitious man, said to be the richest in the city and he offers his home to Dany and her people, allowing them to recover from the journey. He offers to marry her, splitting his huge wealth with her and helping her to win back the Iron Throne. Jorah is suspicious of him and urges her not to do it, offering to find her a boat sailing out of the city instead and she decides to follow his advice. Xaro is able to tell her that Robert Baratheon is dead and the Starks and Lannisters are fighting each other while the Baratheons have split and each plans to fight the Lannisters. With open war in Westeros, Dany seeks help from The Thirteen to get home but nobody else will help her.


The mysterious Quaithe warns Jorah that men seek power and may be interested in Dany's dragons and warns him about betraying her again. Jorah is already on edge and wants to find a way to leave the city but as he searches for a ship, Dany's dragons are stolen, Doreah is missing and Irri is murdered.


Dany returns from her meeting with The Spice King to discover her guards dead outside and Irri dead on the floor of her room. Dany panics and begs Jorah to find out what happened to her dragons. Xaro takes her to a meeting of The Thirteen to find out what is happening and the warlock Pyat Pree tells her that he took the dragons and locked them in his House of the Undying where she can go to them.


Dany is shocked to discover that Xaro and Pyat Pree have been working together and watches them murder the rest of The Thirteen to seize control of Qarth. Jorah, having been warned by Quaithe that Dany is with the dragon thief meeting The Thirteen, rushes off to find her, getting her safely away. She now has no option but to go to The House of the Undying to find her dragons. It is of course a trap and she is chained up beside her dragons as the warlock explains that she gives power to the dragons and they give power to him. The warlock is unaware that the dragons can already breath fire until Dany unleashes them on him.


A furious Dany leads her guards in search of Xaro and finds him in bed with her missing maid Doreah. The betrayal brings out the cold side of Dany and she locks both of them inside Xaro's empty vault, discovering that he even lied about his wealth. The Dothraki loot the house and head for Jorah's ship and sail for Slaver's Bay.

Gone is the young and shy Dany from the start of series one. Her rebirth from the flames with her dragons has given her confidence and grit, making difficult decisions and being a ruler. She shows that she has the Targaryen ruthlessness in dealing with her enemies so for the first time you can actually see her as the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. I love the way she has been shaped by events and developed into a leader. Her journey continues in season three.

8 comments:

  1. I found Qarth to be quite a weird city. Kind of like Alice who fell into wonderland - although I like Dany more than I could EVER like Alice. I can still picture the tiny dragons from this episode before they grew into what they are now. I still love the little guys just as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little dragons were the cutest things in season two...adorable! Looking at them now is a lot scarier! I can't wait to see what they do...

      Delete
  2. Ooh Qarth. I loved that scene when they opened the doors and you could see this big massive city stretching away. Awesome visual. I didn't always like the deviations from the books in this storyline but I did like the House of the Undying scene, especially when Dany had her dragons burn it all. Pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stunning when they opened that gate for sure-I love places like that! It's weird reading the books and seeing how the plots were originally written after seeing the show!

      Delete
    2. I bet it is weird to see the show first and then read the books! Like does the show take on a particular scene feel more right? I always have an individual conception in my head, I think most people probably do, and does the initial impression dominate even if it's a movie or show before the book? I always wonder about that.

      Delete
    3. I decided to watch the show first because of the size of cast so I'd get a pic in my mind of each character's face based on who played the. It did make it a lot easier to watch six seasons and then read the first book! As I start book three I think I'll notice big differences and that could be weird!

      Delete
  3. this wasn't my favorite part of the six seasons. I did enjoy it but for some reason these characters weren't my favorite! I think they fell waaaay too into the weird exotic zone for me :) How Dany dealt with them of course was BEAUTIFUL. I love that girl so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that Qarth and Slaver's Bay weren't my favourite plot locations but I did love some of the things Dany did especially to her enemies! I loved her locking that bitch Doreah in the vault with Xaro! And the dragons were so cute then!

      Delete