Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/  

I'm not one for really noticing what new releases are coming up so this week, the topic doesn't greatly interest me. Instead I'm doing...Ten Monster Books I want to read this year!


1) Matthew Scott Hansen-The Shadowkiller 
When a group of careless campers set fire to the forest, Bigfoot becomes very angry and starts to take revenge on the humans...Well I just LOVE anything connected to Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch etc so this one sounded ideal. And who doesn't love that cover!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1055784.The_Shadowkiller 

2) Mike Kraus-Prip'Yat 
Mysterious disturbances around Chernobyl cause Russian special forces to go and take a look, just as a couple of cousins decide to go and explore. But something is stirring in the dark...I loved the idea of the setting as something different and I want to find out what is stirring in the dark!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17184050-prip-yat 

3) Hunter Shea-They Rise 
In the Bermuda triangle, chimaera fish have escaped their icy prison and are chomping on anything that moves. I've been a fan of all things sea monster since I first saw Jaws and Pirhana so anything described as Jaws on steroids is ok by me!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28474289-they-rise 


4) Ezekiel Boone-The Hatching
In the jungles of Peru a black skittering mass devours a tourist and other incidents around the world are linked to an global epidemic eight legged menace. Now spiders scare me crapless but for some reason I love reading about the things and I'm very curious about this one!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27276264-the-hatching 

5) Eli Constant-Dead Trees 2 
The beasties are back and the virus meant to stop them has turned them into rippers, beasties on steroids. Can humanity survive? Oh I loved the first book about humanoid cannibal monsters attacking the living and if this is 'beasties on steroids' then I must get to this soon!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20562369-dead-trees-ii 

6) Ken Greenhall-Hellhound 
Baxter is a sociopathic bull terrier who wants to murder his owner to free himself up to find a master more suited to his bloodthirsty whims. Right, as soon as I heard about this book I just had to grab it! Getting the dog view on things was a clincher!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34508147-hell-hound 


7) Jack Kilborn-Trapped
It was meant to be a camping trip to give troubled teens a chance to heal in peace. But when something hungry drags Martin off into the jungle, stories about cannibals on the island don't seem funny anymore. I love reading stories about psycho cannibals stalking the living. It just appeals to me in a twisted kind of way and as I loved 'Afraid' I have to read more of the author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7487212-trapped 

8) Anthony J Melchiorri-The Tide 
A biological weapon that turns people into zombies spreads across the world. OK do I need to say more about this? Zombie type monsters, CIA trying to cover up its involvement and a team of soldiers trying to stop the monsters. It was described as being similar to Nicholas Sansbury Smith's zombie series which I love so I had to grab this.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26155549-the-tide 

9) Ricky Sides-Claws 2 
After an attack by genetically mutated cats the world is falling apart. See, that's what happens when you trust cats! I read the first book which covers the cats escaping from a research facility so I'm really keen to see where the story goes from here!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13088719-claws-2-after-the-apocalypse 

10) Mark Wheaton-Flood Plains 
A monster rises from the sea to attack New Orleans during a hurricane. OK that was enough to catch my interest! I'm intrigued by this one and check out that cover! Beastie alert!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13600534-flood-plains 

14 comments:

  1. They Rise looks awesome, and ooh... Chernobyl? Yes. The Tide looks awesome too, that cover and the one for Flood Plain are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any monster ones at chernobyl and it just seems like the perfect setting. I'm looking forward to this horror bunch!

      Delete
  2. I have Hell Hound I want to read this summer as well and The Shadow Killer has an awesome cover. I'm probably going to have to check out Flood Plains too because I love books set in New Orleans and heck, there's tentacles on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've has The Shadow Killer for a while and really need to get to it soon. I thought Flood Plains might appeal to you!

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a monster reader so I haven't heard of any of these. BUT I'm intrigued by They Rise. Hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received a copy of Prip'Yat for subscribing to the authors list. It does certainly sound like a unique setting.

    My TTT: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-27/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much intrigued by it! Some of the authors books really sound like my kind of thing.

      Delete
  5. I have The Hatching on my to read list as well. Jack Kilborn is an author that I also want to read. I hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to get reading more of these Jack Kilborn books. I keep meaning to get to them but I never do!

      Delete
  6. I love monster books, I see them as the literary equivalent of those "creature feature" movies I enjoy so much. The only one I've heard of from your list is The Hatching. It was fun! Reminds me I have to pick up the sequel!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these fast paced monster gorefests that just get into the story and don't stop! I don't like the look of the sequel to The Hatching-too many spiders on the cover!

      Delete
  7. I love that our interests seem to vary widely a lot of the time, but we both still find interest in one another's lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to check out other lists. I'm always pleased when I recognise something or an author so I can talk about it! My tastes are specific so I know people struggle to comment and I appreciate all of you who make that effort!

      Delete