Saturday, 20 May 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
This was a better week overall. I managed to get back on the blogging trail for the most part and post a decent amount this week so that was a relief. I've had a decent sleep the last two nights so I don't feel as tired. I'm pleased about that! As always I'll review what I blogged over the last week later in the post. It's been a quiet week with just blogging, reading and a bit of Game of Thrones season three! On the reading side of things I abandoned my list of what I was going to read this month and picked up the first Game of Thrones book instead! It's taken the best part of the week to get through it but I should finish it sometime today. It was a great read! Now I need to decide whether to continue with the series or get a few other books looked at first...oh decisions decisions!
 
On the book buying side of things, it was mostly a quiet week until Wednesday when I had a horror splurge! I don't think the books will arrive today so I'll save those for next week. I did get a few Game of Thrones related items and a couple of new apocalypse series to try so that kept me happy! Two Game of Thrones journals which I'll use for lists or something-not quite decided yet! I have a Stark one already which I'm using to write a companion guide to the series with episode guides, character lists and family trees etc. I also got the gorgeous guide to
Game of Thrones season one and two which I will devour shortly! The guide to season three and four has been ordered!
 
DOWNLOADS:
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS/HARDBACKS: 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chuckles Blogging World: 

So a reasonably productive blogging week compared to the week before. I got all my regular posts done, some reviews, got in a decent amount of blog visits and managed to respond to comments on my blog a bit quicker. Overall I'm happy. Click on the link provided to go to each blog post if you missed it during the week and feel free to stop by and leave a comment!

Book Reviews: 

I got a few reviews done this week-not as many as I hoped but it was ok. I need to get on with the reviews of books I read in March. Hopefully I can get them done in the next few weeks!
 
Dave Jeffery-Necropolis Rising
 
Keith RA DeCandido-Resident Evil Apocalypse
 
Madeleine Roux-Allison Hewitt is TRapped
 
Hunter Shea-Swamp Monster Massacre
 
Craig Jones-Breakout
 
Jeffery Deaver-Praying For Sleep
 
Regular Features: 

For those wondering about the political posts, I'm not sharing my thoughts on the parties or policies or talking actual politics. Instead I'm having a bit of fun by looking at the funny and embarrassing gaffes, the amusing stories and photo opportunities. All parties will be mocked! My Top Ten Tuesday was looking at divorced, widowed and single parents in fiction.
 
Top Ten Tuesday-Single Parents
 
Chuckles Cover Love-Arthur T Bradley
 
Chuckles Guide to the UK Election #4
 
Mythology With Chuckles #2-Wendigo
 
Discussion Posts: 
 
This week I'm looking at Gifs and in Westeros I'm looking at the Small Council in season one.

Chuckles Chat-Gifs

Game of Thrones Gossip-The Small Council
 
Guest Post: 
 
I had the pleasure of guest posting over on Barb's blog on Monday, doing a post on brave and loyal hounds in apocalypse and horror! 


Book Challenge Updates:

 Move along, nothing to see here! Well it wasn't quite that bad! I was reading Game of Thrones so even at 100 pages a day it has taken the best part of the week to read!

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 108/250 One book read.
 
TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 805.Choosing to read a book over 700 pages this week didn't get the numbers down but deciding not to read on with the James Patterson Alex Cross books did bring it down! I was under 800 books until I added what I bought this week to my Goodreads pages!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

26 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get motivated with your blog this week, and get some sleep. I ended up dropping the ball a bit this week. I wasn't around for the first half of the week and then had to play catch up the past couple days. lol! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate those weeks when you get off to a slow start! It leaves you running around like a headless chicken at the end of the week! It happens to me quite often...

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you got some reading and blogging done. Yesterday, I wrote book reviews for the first time in about 2 weeks. I’ve been relying on scheduled posts, so nobody knew I took a break. It’s good to be back at it, though.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find the time to schedule a weeks worth of posts and just have a full break so I can get stuck into my reading! I need to try hard to get some things done in advance and maybe take off the week of our General Election for a rest!

      Delete
  3. I'd space GoT out a bit . . . you've got a long wait for a final book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Game of Thrones series, too, but so far I haven't started reading it. One day ;)
    I'm glad both blogging and sleeping worked well for you this week.
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope we get the last two books at some point! Yes a much better week thankfully and I hope this one is productive! Have a good week!

      Delete
  5. "It Began" looks interesting and I do believe I spy a German Shepard on one of those covers. Good for you for finishing the first GoT book. That's quite an accomplishments. So are they better than the series? I can't wait to see what horror reads you grabbed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! It sounds as if the dog plays a major part in the apocalypse plot so I just had to get it. I hope it is as good as it looked...It took me a week to read the GoT book at 100 pages a night. I need to get them done quicker in future or my GR challenge will fall apart! The book was great, not over descriptive and the plot is the exact same as season one. We get extra info from the dothraki camp, and more about the battles between the Lannister, Stark and Tully armies which I enjoyed and more from the big jousing tournament too. The switching POVs get you right into the heads of the characters like Tyrion, Arya, Catelyn, Jon, Sansa, Bran, Dany and Ned. I liked that and it kept the story flowing. Better? Not better but just as good!

      The horror ones are William Meikle, Ray Garton and Hunter Shea!

      Delete
  6. Okay surprising no one I'm going to say start book two Clash of Kings lol. Only because I love the prologue of that one, the way it starts, and I honestly think each book gets better (the first one is my least favorite now). You can really see his writing and the story get better. But I'll shut up about that. :)

    Love the idea of your companion guide! What a great idea. And EMP looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so keen to read ACOK! I loved the Stannis and Davos characters in the series so I'm itching to get into this one. I might take this week to fit in some zombies as I have a five book series I want to read and then hit this one to get June started.

      The companion guide will help my dad when he goes through the series as his memory is a bit like mine! This way he can check out the family trees, who serves who, who is related to who...all the stuff I struggled with in the first two seasons! He can just pause the dvd for a few seconds and remind himself who was mentioned!

      Delete
    2. If you like Stannis and Davos (I do too, especially Davos) you'll like ACoK. The prologue (which you probably already know) is all about Maester Cressen and Melisandre with Stannis at dragonstone- good stuff. :)

      The companion guide sounds awesome.

      Delete
    3. I loved the scenes between them in the series so I'm really looking forward to reading about them. Davos is one of my favourite characters! I plan to read this zombie series next and then get to book two along with my political books with it being the election soon. A good reading month for June!

      Delete
  7. Not too many books I recognized this week, but ooh, I am intrigued by your horror splurge. Can't wait to see what you picked up!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Ray Garton, Hunter Shea and William Meikle! Yea for Loch Ness Monsters, Wendigos, winged beasts, cannibal animals and killer fish!

      Delete
  8. I visited many of your posts this week. You have been quite nusy. And I'm liking some of your new reads too. My poor book budget always cringes on Sundays. LOL

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lucky that I don't spend my money on anything except books! Otherwise I'd never be able to keep grabbing shiny new ones...

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen nor read GoT. Just never been interested.

    Sometimes you need a good book buying splurge ;-)

    That's great you had a good blogging week and are replying to comments quicker. I on the other hand am falling behind a bit on comment replies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that a lot of popular things just pass me by when it comes to TV! I wasn't actually sure I'd like GoT as I'm not a fan of epic fantasy but I found it very much like The Tudors for the backstabbing and betrayal and social climbing at any cost, and the Plantagenets for the wars between families. Add in cool wolves, gory battles, an army of the dead, a few dragons and evil ice monsters though!

      I hate weeks where it feels like I'm running far behind on what I need to do. I've had that for a few weeks but this week I plan to get ahead and have posts scheduled to take the stress away over the next two weeks...well that's the plan anyway!!!

      Delete
  10. Ooh, the Game of Thrones guide looks so pretty. Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a gorgeous soft padded cover and beautiful design! It has a lot of character profiles, short pieces about location and costumes, snippets from the cast and crew about things going on. Lots of great photos from the show. I was hoping for a little more on how each person was cast, who tried out for other parts before getting a part, gossip about problems or funny stuff on set but maybe the next volume will have more. Still enjoyed it though!

      Delete
  11. Sometimes it's fun to just abandon your plans and just do whatever you want. Glad you enjoyed GoT! I found your blog because I kept seeing your name in my friends' blogs' comments---decided I needed to check you out! :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been itching to read A Game of Thrones since I first watched the series in October. I just cracked and had to read it this month! I do think I need to go more by mood and less by what I've chosen but then I look up, see it's nearly June and want to scream at how fast the reading year is going with so many challenges to complete! EEK! *panics a bit*

      I'm so pleased that you stopped by! It's always great to say hello to a new Book Cave Crawler so to speak! I'll be lurking around your blog too!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a pretty good week. Good for you for putting plans aside to read what you felt like. I do that sometimes myself. Game of Thrones has been on my TBR for a while. Hopefully, I can get to it soonish. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the book and I think it has pulled me out of the slump! Yes! Trouble is, book two is bigger and I can't afford to take a week or more to read it! I'm doing a zombie series next which I hope to finish sometime next week, maybe a couple of long overdue horror reads and onto book two next month!

      Delete