Tuesday, 16 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  

I'm doing my own thing this week so lets have Ten Books where a 'single parent' is the heroine or hero-widowed, divorced or single MCs but all with children to worry about. Some of these I've read, some are on my tbr.


1) Grace Hamilton-Dark Retreat (EMP Lodge #1)
Megan and her daughter survived the EMP but now Caitlin is sick with a mysterious illness and needs help. Megan raids a lodge for medical supplies which brings her into contact with other survivors. I haven't read this one but I loved the cover and overall sound of the story. One of the many I want to get to this year!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34530463-dark-retreat

2) Murray McDonald-Trial
Kate is widowed and has to take care of her kids during the apocalypse, with no electricity or home comforts, but the rise of a brutal militia in the area threatens those she loves most, and she'll protect them whatever it takes. I loved the cover on this book and I'm interested in the idea of the story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32951914-trial 

3) Jamie Maguire-Red Hill 
Scarlet is at the hospital working when the zombie apocalypse comes and her children are with her ex husband. Now she faces a dangerous journey to be reunited with her daughters as the world falls apart. I really enjoyed the human drama in this book and the zombie encounters are tense and exciting. Another tempting cover for me and I'd love more zombies from the author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18114980-red-hill


4) Joseph Talluto-White Flag of the Dead
John loses his wife at the very beginning of the zombie apocalypse and is left alone with his baby son. Leaving to seek a safer place brings him into contact with other people seeking the same and he is suddenly responsibe for a whole community...as the zombies get smarter...I liked this book as it had a single father for a change and still had the horror and zombie tension!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11071325-white-flag-of-the-dead 

5) Eli Constant-Dead Trees
Elise is a widowed mother of two young girls and is on the road looking for a safe haven-away from the underground humanoid monsters that are hunting humans...and getting smarter every day. LOVED the zombie style of this book with smart cannibal creatures, lots of action and tension and trying to look after kids in this environment. Great horror story!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17274511-dead-trees 

6) Michelle Scott-Straight to Hell
When Lilith dies in a stupid manner she is brought back as a succubus to work for an agency. But Lilith turns out to be the most useless employee ever and wants to get out of the family contract to deal with her family from Hell at home and her ex husband. This is not my kind of read but it was pretty funny and entertaining with stupid humour that I enjoyed.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12582471-straight-to-hell


7) RL Blalock-Devour 
Olivia witnesses the zombie apocalypse in St Louis and has to flee with her eighteen month old daughter, trying to get to the safety of a friend's farm. The journey becomes a nightmare when she is forced to trek on foot...This is exactly the kind of apocalypse story that I love. I very much enjoyed the prequel and look forward to reading this one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34802356-devour 

8) Jeff DeGordick-The Fall of Man
Sarah survived the apocalypse with her son being born on that fateful day. Eight years on she hears of a save haven in the next state but will they survive the journey? I bought this series recently, loving the covers and the sound of another apocalypse road trip and her son having special powers. Intriguing!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33071454-the-fall-of-man 

9) Richard Laymon-The Cellar
Donna and her daughter go on the run when her paedophile ex husband is released from prison. With him in pursuit, Donna stops in a small town with a dark history, where a local horror museum really does have beasts in the cellar. First of the Beast House series and classic Richard Laymon horror.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/922794.The_Cellar 

10) James Patterson-Alex Cross series 
Alex is a police detective, raising his children in the aftermath of their mother's murder, juggling family life and brutal crime investigation. I've read the first 8 or so books and need to make a decision on what I'm doing with the rest of it! Breeding on my bookshelves for too long.Loved books 2, 3 and 4 despite hating crime novels!

16 comments:

  1. I don't know most of these, but The Fall of Man sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it sounds promising! Hopefully it will turn out to be good...

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but the covers alone have me interested in checking them out! Great list :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you found something new for your wishlist or tbr...I like to corrupt people!

      Delete
  3. I love the twist you put on today's topic. Seems we both didn't want to necessarily go with the flow. I think Straight to Hell sounds like something I want to check out for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I try to forget mother's day where I can...it's less than three years since I lost my mother but it still feels raw and I hate all these MD ads. So I figured do something different. Straight to Hell surprised me...I found it quite funny and boy you don't want Lilith's family!

      Delete
  4. I love the idea for this list! Shockingly I've never heard of most of these books but James Patterson is definitely on my to read list!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these are certainly Indie authors which not everyone reads but I'm looking forward to them!

      Delete
  5. Trial and Red Hill both look great. The Fall of Man sounds good too, I'd like the combo of a post apoc and a road trip I think. And I've heard of the Alex cross books, don't know much about 'em...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Hill had mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it...plenty zombies and good characters. I hope Trial turns out to be good...

      Delete
  6. I have read the Alex Cross series. I am not sure how many I have read but Alex is a great character. I will have to check out some other books from your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get these books read or give them to a charity shop. They are taking up so much room on the bookshelves!

      Delete
  7. Ooh good topic! I know I've come across apoc books about single parents, though I have to admit I tend to shy away from them I think. Since I'm not a parent myself, I guess I feel like I just won't relate or understand that parent perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I've seen more but I just couldn't remember them and it was taking so long to look through my Goodreads shelves! I positively hate kids but I don't mind them much in apocalypse books if they aren't total brats!

      Delete
  8. Although I haven't read The Cellar yet, but I'm a huge fan of Richard Laymon, so I was happy to see him on this list. Also, I adore James Patterson and have only just recently gotten into the Alex Cross books, but I'm enjoying them.

    Here is my TTT. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Richard Laymon and still have a couple of books of his to read. I keep saving them for a rainy day! I loved books 2, 3 and 4 in the Alex Cross series. I stopped after 6 and never really got started again!

      Delete