Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon


A dark, warm and continuous rain falls on the town of Bixby, coating the inhabitants. Now a loving wife smashes her husbands head to a pulp. A mob raids the cinema, attacking everyone inside. And a stranger at a gas station grabs a customer, shoves a petrol pump down her throat, and squeezes the trigger ...

My Review: 
A boy has been murdered and his voodoo priest grandfather decides to take revenge on the town by turning the rain into a deadly weapon. When you get wet you become a psycho with rape and/or murder on your mind and those inside houses, bars, restaurants all have to try and barricade themselves in against the rampaging lunatics who want to kill them. While most are trying to survive, a few are trying to find a way to stop the priest and restore the town to normal.

One of my favourite Laymon books with the usual gory mindless violence and a good fast running plot. We follow several people through this long night-a restaurant full of people trapped by a mob of potential killers, scared teenagers babysitting as homes are broken into and a pizza delivery girl who attacks a group of boys when she is wet, and is then on the receiving end of rape and violence when she is dry and back to normal.
 

A great read for the horror fan!
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

13 comments:

  1. This was the book that made me a fan of Laymon, and still remains one of my favorites to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of his best books. I enjoyed the scenes at the restaurant as the mad people try to break in. Laymon's books were always fun horrorfests!

      Delete
  2. I don't know that I've ever shared this (although I don't know why not) but voodoo is a buzz word for me when it comes to books. I've gotta have this one....OK, I just grabbed it for Paul Anka (my Kindle). Baaaaddd Chuckles! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't focus heavily on the actual voodoo priest, it's more about the effects of his spell but I so much enjoyed this. He was always a favourite horror author.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I missed this Laymon. I'm overdue for one of his over the top B movie novels and *think* I saw this in a tbr bin. After your review, I'll definitely have to rescue it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few books of Laymon still to read and I've been saving them for a rainy day, so to speak! (bad pun) I hope to get to them maybe during the summer as they are quick reads for me.

      Delete
  4. oh my a 5-star review about a voodoo priest??? LOVE LOVE LOVE. I won't read more. I'm adding it to GR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I immediately bought it for my Kindle! Seems we both like the voodoo aspect - imagine that!

      Delete
    2. The voodoo priest is not a main character in the book. It focuses mainly on the spell that he has put on the town and the carnage it causes.

      Delete
  5. Gots to have it! And just look at that spectacular cover! Looks like I'll be doing some shopping for both books of his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like settling down with a Laymon book to enjoy! I have two or three unread on my bookshelves that I need to get to. So sad that he died so young and we won't get any more books.

      Delete
  6. I read one book by Laymon and I still think about it and it was years ago. I am going to have to take a closer look at this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love all of his books I admit, but I liked most of them. Always a nice gory horror read with some kind of maniac!

      Delete