Tuesday, 2 May 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week the chosen topic is Cover Freebie. Here are ten horror covers that made me check out the book blurb...and then buy the books!


1) Ricky Sides-Claws 
Genetically mutated cats are released by animal rights activists into the community and the feral beasts begin killing humans. I hate cats personally, having to forever chase the buggers out of my garden which they use as a personal toilet, so I loved it when the community and army try to fight back against the beasts! I'd never personally harm a cat but I found the cat violence oddly satisfying! The cover of a feral mad cat or a beheaded cat, however you view this, got my attention!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10775602-claws   

2) Steve Harris-Adventureland
A creepy carnival has come to an English town. Teenagers go missing from inside the Ghost Train and a young child is missing but adults are turning a blind eye to the horror. The friends of the missing set out to find the truth. I love creepy carnival horror and the fact it was set in the UK. I read this years back and loved it and look forward to a reread and writing a better review! I love this cover...a monster's claw coming out of the dark Ghost Train Tunnel is always going to be appealing! 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1805227.Adventureland

3) Stephen King-IT
A child killing shapeshifter takes the shapes of things kids fear to hunt and kill them while the adults of Derry refuse to see what is happening. The group of bullied loser kids decide it is up to them to kill the monster. Stephen King at his best and it is my all-time favourite book! The creepy clown form of IT is bad enough without the forms it can take and the evil influence it has on others. I love this book! The creepy eyes peering out of the drain perfectly match the opening of the book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/830502.It 


4) JG Faherty-Carnival of Fear
Inside each room in the carnival funhouse are themed horror situation waxworks. When the door of each room closes the people inside are transported to a real life version of it-hiding from the alien invasion, serial killer in a camp site, witch trials, zombies in a shopping mall, prowling werewolves, deadly vampires...and if you die during these 'adventures' you die for real...There are so many deadly adventures in this book! The cover hints at the evil carnival and caught my attention when I first saw it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9903992-carnival-of-fear 

5) James Herbert-The Rats 
Infected rats are on the loose in rural England with a taste for human flesh...if you go into the woods tonight you're in for a big surprise...After discovering Stephen King as a kid, my dad showed me this cover and I just wanted to read it. The rat looks totally scary and fired up my child's imagination! It's a classic horror which spawned two follow up books including excellent sequel The Lair.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9903992-carnival-of-fear 

6) Richard Laymon-Dark Mountain
Two families on a camping trip encounter a perverted madman but even when they think the ordeal is over, his witch mother has other horror in store for them. This was one of the first books by the author I read. Also love One Rainy Night, After Midnight, Darkness Tell Us, Come out Tonight, The Glory Bus, In the Dark...not over-descriptive Laymon just gets to the point, which is why I liked his work. The covers of his books are often really good and this one has the mixture of scenic and creepy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1122006.Dark_Mountain 


7) JF Gonzalez-Survivor
A woman has been kidnapped to appear in a snuff film, to be tortured and raped until she dies. But Lisa knows she is pregnant and must survive and will do a shocking thing to save herself and her baby. OK I admit the cover isn't the best but it intrigued me enough to check out the blurb to see why she was screaming. This book is brutal and shocking and I loved the tension and twists in it. It is NOT for the faint-hearted or squeamish.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1215920.Survivor

8) Jack Kilborn-Afraid 
A group of super-enhanced soldiers have arrived in a small town one night are are determined to kill everyone they come into contact with. It is a tense and gory horror novel, one of the best I've read in the last few years. And it has a cute beagle called Woof! I like the cover because it has the creepy woods in the background and the way AFRAID is used tells you that this has some kind of horror element to it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5122520-afraid 

9) Joe Hill-Heart Shaped Box
Jude is an aging rock star with an interest in the macabre. But when he decides to buy a ghost for sale he has no idea what he is getting himself into. This is a dark creepy horror tale with plenty of tension and I admit to reading it because I'm a Stephen King fan-but it's not some kind of cheap copy of his dad's work. I Liked the cover...I tend to like scenic things like that. I hope to reread it when time allows.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/153025.Heart_Shaped_Box

10) Dean Koontz-Lightning
Laura and her friends faced a predatory paedophile at their children's home growing up but as an adult, someone is trying to kill her and the protector who saved her each time she was in danger as a child is back in her life again. For added fun it also has a time travelling defeat the Nazis theme which I enjoyed. I liked the extreme weather cover too.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/369580.Lightning 

18 comments:

  1. The decapitated red-eyed cat is pretty interesting. It looks angry, which makes sense, I guess.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be mad if my head was cut off! I really enjoyed this as a horror book. I still have the follow up to read.

      Delete
  2. I really hope to find time to re-read It and Heart Shaped Box both this year. I don't do re-reads a lot but I make exceptions for King and his son. I just added The Rats and Adventureland to my wishlist. I own Claws and need to dig it out if the Kindle backlog and read it - I think Cass and T would have fun reviewing it! They say "Hi Auntie Chuckles!" by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more time for rereads. I want to read IT, Heart Shaped Box, the Hunger Games...too many! I want to reread Harry Potter!!! The Rats is a nice short horror read...need to get a decent review done for that. Hi to the furry dudes! Cass would LOVE Claws with all the anti-cat violence!!

      Delete
  3. You read Survivor and survived it? I needed some brain bleach after that one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a brutal book wasn't it but what a page turner! I can fully understand the brain bleach!

      Delete
  4. I remember watching IT and still now I use it as an example of an end I would have never expected! from clown to... THAT??? WTH??? Now I want to read Survivor! I enjoy 8 mm and I have never read a snuff film book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to the new film! If you are reading Survivor, be advised that it is brutal and full of rape and torture of women and children. I thought it was a great book though.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I would totally try Carnival of Fear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to reread it right now! It had so many great scenes in it with all my favourite horror scenarios!

      Delete
  6. Some of these are so quirky I'd probably pick them up to read the blurb too, just out of sheer curiosity. Seriously, Claws! As soon as I saw that cat, I wondered what that might be all about :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Claws! Might put my review of it up today.

      Delete
  7. Claws lol! I like Heart Shaped Box too. And The Rats- eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs these kinds of horror in their life!

      Delete
  8. I love cats, but you cracked me up about the cat book lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whereas these creepy covers would usually send me running the other way! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creepy covers either appeal or make you run to the hills!

      Delete