Thursday, 25 May 2017

Chuckles Retro Reads: Zombie Snapshots by JW Vohs

This is a collection of five short stories in the Zombie Crusade series. These "snapshots" are quick glimpses of critical locations around the world as the zombie pandemic begins to unfold. While the snapshots connect to the main storyline of the Zombie Crusade novels (some in obvious ways, others in ways that will become apparent as the series continues), they may also be read as stand-alone stories. Two of the tales in this collection, "Israel" and "Ontario," have been previously released electronically. 

My Review: 
There are five short stories in this snapshots selection. I previously reviewed 'Ontario' so I'll review the other four here. Thank you to the authors for sending this book to me to review and I apologize for taking so long to review it. These snapshots mention events and characters in the novel series as they follow different groups of people dealing with the start of the outbreak where they live. I hope to see more of all these characters as I progress through the novels!

1) Israel: Jesse is in Tajikistan to assist jews there in moving to Israel but on a hike he is attacked and bitten by sick locals. Concealing the fatal bite, he returns to Israel and takes the zombie virus with him. Sophie and her family watch events unfold on TV and decide to flee to their other home, helping a Palestinian family escape from zombies. Now everyone in Ein Gedi prepares to defend it from the zombie hordes while working on a backup plan to flee to Masada if the defences fail.

I so much enjoyed the opportunity to be with zombie survivors in a totally different environment from the usual UK or USA locations. Sophie, her son Mick and parents Avi and Lina are ordinary people and worry about other family members in different countries. It was also good to see the Israeli, Palestinian and Bedouin characters putting aside differences and mistrust to work together against the zombies. It adds a new dimension to the traditional fight the zombie story. The link to the main series here is talk about the US soldiers attacked by the virus in Afghanistan. This starts off apocalypse prepping for the MCs in book one.

2) POTUS: The President seeks expert advice on the outbreak and Barnes is happy to oblige, arriving at the safe bunker and claiming to have a vaccine for the disease. The President is more than happy to use this on everyone in the complex.

I don't want to say much on this story in case I spoil things but it was really good! The link to the main series is Barnes who features heavily in the opening of book one and there is the full story of what happened in the village featured in book one.

3) Maine: Colonel Longstreet works now in private security for rich clients and is tasked with protecting their island hideout by stopping other refugees from crossing the bridge. However, stopping the scared civilians is going to be morally tough as the zombies get closer and things on the island are going to take a serious turn when a select group of rich men prepare to leave for a new safe haven.

There is sooo much I want to say about this one but I can't without spoilers! I loved the moral dilemma of whether to do your job or show compassion to frightened people. I enjoyed the twists which lead directly from the POTUS story so make sure you read POTUS first. The link to the novel series here is Colonel Longstreet who was the commanding officer in the village outbreak at the start of book one.

4) Tennessee: A settlement of survivors have built a fortified compound and are living in relative safety until the arrival of General Jackson, who is offering the option of a vaccine and he isn't planning to take no for an answer. Do the people put their trust in him or take their chances with the mass of zombies heading their way?

Again this one really follows on with the vaccine story from the last two stories and I can't say much about the plot. I did like seeing a group of survivors who had started a new life from the chaos and who are unsure whether to give that up when the government calls. The link to the novel series here is Charlotte, sister of one of the MCs in book one, who refused to join him in a compound, instead staying near her home.

These short stories were exciting, well written and you cared very much about the people you were introduced to. I very much enjoyed all five, along with the first novel in the series which I have also read. I would advise reading the first novel 'Zombie Crusade' then reading the snapshots as extra information. Traditional zombie fans should enjoy this series! 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

8 comments:

  1. I would have enjoyed the ones in Israel and Main too! [Zs included and all! :) ] Main because. New England! and Israel because I also love books in different settings from UK/US and Israel: is one of my fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked these short stories a lot as they looked at various countries and communities tackling the zombie threat in their own ways. The Israel one was very good. I really need to get this series finished!

      Delete
  2. I've got to check into this author. How did I not hear about this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first book and the short stoy volume and both were really good. I want to get reading the rest of the series sometime this year to find out what happens to everyone!

      Delete
  3. Glad these were good, and I like that they're linked, that little bit of continuity would make it fun I would think. And I like too how people who might not otherwise trust one another band together to fight in that first story. I guess other grievances g out the window when the zombs come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Israel story was good because it did tackle the issue of trust. The short stories might be a good introduction to the series. Book 1 was very good and I look forward to reading the rest of them.

      Delete
  4. I really love zombie stories, so this series sounds intriguing to me. I'll have to check out the first book!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed what I've read so far!

      Delete