Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

This Week: Top Ten Hidden Gems in Apocalypse Genre or books you need to read to get ready for the apocalypse! NB: none of these series feature zombies as that is a list for another time!


1) Darrell Maloney-Countdown to Armageddon
Scott stumbles across an end of the world solar flare prediction and starts prepping, buying land to move to when disaster strikes. With his new girlfriend, his ex-wife and kids, he has everything ready when it hits and now they need to make their journeys from work and school to get to safety. I loved the characters and there was no silly angst with the ex wife and girlfriend. I loved reading about the preperations and then we waited in tension for it to hit. Then comes the nerve wracking journey to get home. Loved it!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20566964-countdown-to-armageddon 

2) Darrell Maloney-Final Dawn 
A happy young couple win the lotto and then discover an asteroid will hit Earth in two years. Now it is a race against time to build a compound to hold family and friends and be ready. Another tense read which follows the preperations at the underground compound, the heartbreaking choice of which people to invite and whether or not to warn the general public. Human emotion, great characters and an exciting prepper plot. Loved this one too!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17677073-final-dawn 

3) Franklin Horton-The Borrowed World 
ISIS attack American infrastructure and send it into panic and confusion. Two preppers on a business trip try to steer their colleagues on a long walk home while their families cope with surviving the ordeal and protecting their supplies from looters. This was my first prepper book and I admit it scared me at the time and got me thinking about what to do in a disaster. Tension filled plot, great characters and plenty of action. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25470417-the-borrowed-world 


4) Robert Boren-Bug Out
Frank and Jane flee riots in California in their RV, finding other retired people doing the same. As Islamic terrorists and armed militia gangs wage war on the government, and nuclear blasts hit the coasts, the RV caravan must keep one step ahead of the bad guys and find a way to fight back. I loved the fast paced action and the fact that the MCs were mostly in their 50's-80's! Tension in every chapter if you can overlook the editing.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35455767-bug-out-part-1    

5) Matthew D Mark-Dark Days Rough Roads 
Roger prepared his entire family with survival plans and meet up points and now that an EMP has hit, the plan needs to be executed. Dangerous journeys, people trying to take their supplies and armed gunmen do their best to stop the convoy but even if they reach their safe house, they are unaware that an armed militia has taken the town. We get all the tension of the apocalypse road trip from hell and then it changes to trying to take the town back from the bad guys. Great read!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17472933-dark-days-rough-roads 

6) John Marsden-Tomorrow When The War Began 
A group of Australian teenagers return from a camping trip to find that their town has been invaded by a foreign army and their families held in a camp. They decide they are the only people left to fight back. In the tradition of Red Dawn but better, this was a kickass book about surviving as outlaws and trying to save those you love. Lots of action and tension.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71865.Tomorrow_When_the_War_Began  


7) Kenneth Cary-Curtain Fall 
John has always had dreams that came true but this one leads him to believe that the Yellowstone Caldera is about to explode and there may only be days left to make final preperations. With an extended family not listening and a diabetic child to care for, John must put faith in his dreams and get ready. This has the normal get ready for it scenes that I love but the addition of the dreams and his fear of what is coming is new.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20741434-curtain-fall 

8) Eric Methven-EMP
A family set up a prepper house outside a small Scottish town just before an EMP hits. The town is overtaken by foreign criminals who loot and rape while locals plan to take back control. It also features the journey of family and friends to get to this place and the dangers they face on the road. Great to have a Scottish EMP book but it is hard to get hold of.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17562660-e-m-p-no-finger-on-the-pulse

9) David Nelson-The Journey
When the EMP hits the Blaine Family set out for the homestead they joint own with their friends, meeting good people who join them and others who want to take everything they have. It has the apocalypse action on a lesser scale than the really horrific ones but I liked the characters and the challenges they faced. The second book features the journey of their friends and continues with the day to day struggles of a new life. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23379849-the-journey 

10) Boyd Craven-The World Burns 
Blake and Sandra are on their first date when the EMP hits. As a prepper, Blake's homestead is the safest place for them and her father Duncan who is the town priest. Now they must protect their property from possible attack and decide if they trust the people they meet. The first story arc over seven parts is the best of the series as I loved the homestead and the dangerous issues they have to deal with.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25097170-the-world-burns 

22 comments:

  1. You are such a pro at finding apocalypse books. Personally, I think winning the lottery just to find out the world is going to end would be just my luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next month is apocalypse month so there will be a lot of new books and authors to try, which is exciting! If I won the lottery I'm buy a nice prepper pad ready for any apocalypse!

      Delete
  2. Great list. I love apocalypse books, and these are all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't resist an apocalypse! I love all the drama and tension of it!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I haven't come across any of these one - what a great list. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9 of the 10 are Indie/self published so I like sharing these with my blog friends as they might not know about them otherwise. I love Indie apocalypse books!

      Delete
  4. As usual, I haven't read any of these! You make me want to up my apocalypse game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till you see all the great books I read next month!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to it! My paycheck? Notsomuch.

      Delete
    3. If I go down, I'm bringing all of you with me!

      Delete
  5. Hey Chuckles, this has nothing to do with your post but I checked with the Booklies experts and Kate offered to help you out. Just send her an email at kate@booklikes.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the help offer. Thing is, I spent 3 hours trying to just set up the basics of the blog part of the account and failed. Sometimes it just vanished, or showed up without the chosen theme, other times the blog name and theme was there but currently reading/fave books etc was all someone elses details and there was no FAQ or help link just email help. If I have to email for help on the easy stuff, I dreaded to think how hard it would be to do the harder stuff! So I've already deleted the whole account. It was just going to take forever to get set up at that rate and I don't have that time to spare! I appreciate the help offers from you and Kate though.

      Delete
    2. Awww, sorry it turned out to be so much trouble for you. If you ever change your mind and decide to give it a go just let me know. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure why it went haywire like that. Sets up on GR and stuff were easy. Weird. Maybe I'll try again at some time in the future!

      Delete
  6. Final Dawn sounds awesome. Asteroids might be one the worst apocalypses lol. Bug Out too, love the RV angle.

    The World Burns- love that premise. The EMP hits on their first date? Argh now THAT'S a date!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book in the Final Dawn series was so good! It was a countdown to the disaster, trying to get the compound ready and keep it secret...so much tension! Pensioners in RVs taking out terrorists was just so great! Yeah some first date huh! Luckily Sandra has a kickass holy father!

      Delete
  7. Tomorrow When the War Began is one that I am interested in. It just sounds really good. Thanks for putting this list together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first two in that series and loved them! I'm itching to get back into my apocalypse reads tomorrow!

      Delete
  8. Apocalypse yay :) I need to read more of that.
    Yesterday I thought of this Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye...I mean it's pretty good if you ignore the preaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard of the Left Behind series but it was the preaching that put me off reading it. I don't mind characters praying or having faith in the books but if it gets heavy religious I lose interest. Thanks for the tip though!

      Delete
  9. So many of these are on my radar, especially Curtain Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yellowstone eruption plot fascinates me! I've watched docs on this a lot! I liked the addition of the prophecy dreams too. I have so many great series that I need to finish but time is not my friend! Next month is apocalypse month so I'm ploughing through the ones that have been sitting for ages on my shelves. I hope to get through lots!

      Delete