Friday, 4 August 2017

Game of Thrones Tyrion: Lannister or Targaryen?

Having now watched the series through a few times I'm ready to start putting forward some theories about what could come next or what I would like to see happening. It's fun to just discuss theories and try to find evidence to back them up! So what is my theory? That Tyrion Lannister could actually be the bastard son of The Mad King, and not a Lannister!

 

My favourite character has always been Tyrion Lannister-loathed by his father and sister who blame him for the death of his mother in childbirth, and reviled through the Seven Kingdoms for being a dwarf. He is called The Imp, The Demon Monkey and Halfman but he is the smartest man of all of them and I just think he's great.

Lets start with the physical appearance. Book Tyrion is described as pale blonde hair close to white, with one black eye and one green. The Targaryens have silver blonde hair and purple eyes while the Lannisters are blonde and green eyed like Cersei and Jaime. Could Tyrion's dark eye be more dark purple than black? And where does he get the pale hair if not from a Targaryen bloodline? Interesting! There is also the thought that the mothers of Dany, Jon and Tyrion all died in childbirth. Did each die giving birth to a true 'dragon' Targaryen?

The Dragons. In season six, Tyrion decides to go and visit the dragons who are chained up and who have never met them. The dragons do not attack him, listening to him talking about his fascination with dragons as a child and how sad he was to learn that no more existed. The dragons then let him unchain them and leave him unharmed and able to leave. Did they sense that Tyrion was there to help them or did they sense Targaryen blood in him? Tyrion is the only person to be alone with these dragons and survive, other than Dany herself.

"When I was your age, I used to dream of having a dragon of my own. Oh, yes. Even a stunted, twisted, ugly little boy can look down over the world when he’s seated on a dragon’s back. I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours, pretending they were dragon fire. Sometimes I’d imagine my father burning. At other times, my sister. Don’t look at me that way, bastard. I know your secret. You’ve dreamt the same kind of dreams."

Looking at that passage in the book 'A Game of Thrones' when he meets Jon, it is interesting that Tyrion dreamt of using dragons to burn Cersei and Tywin, something The Mad King liked to do. It is also interesting that he said that Jon had those dreams too as Jon we now know is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen. Is this a hint that the men are half brothers?

The Mad King was very taken with Joanna Lannister when she married Tywin, serving as Hand of the King, and took 'unwonted liberties' with Joanna during the bedding ceremony, something that Joffrey seems to be planning for Sansa. Tywin steps in to stop this happening, perhaps remembering what happened to Joanna. Queen Rhaella then fired Joanna from her household in King's Landing. It may have been jealousy, knowing that her husband fancied her servant or it may have been for having an affair with her husband. The Queen had previously sent other ladies from her household away for the same crime so it does look like there is a chance that something happened between The Mad King and Joanna. She visited the court rarely after her first children were born. In 272 AC Joanna went to a tourney in King's Landing where the King made comments about her breasts and infuriated Tywin who tried to resign his position. If something happened during this visit then Tyrion could be Targaryen as he was born in 273 AC.

Tywin Lannister has never been short of words about Tyrion's whores, despising him for it despite most men including Tywin using prostitutes. The Mad King was always with other women so did Tywin think that his son behaved more like the Mad King than a Lannister? Did Tyrion's behaviour remind him of the man who tried to seduce his beloved wife or was there something more sinister to his hatred? 

"You are an ill-made, devious, disobedient, spiteful little creature full of envy, lust, and low cunning. Men's laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors, since I cannot prove that you are not mine."

Those angry words from Tywin are quite revealing. The phrase 'cannot prove' suggests that he at least suspects that his wife produced Tyrion out of wedlock. Yes it could just be wishful thinking since Tyrion is a dwarf and Joanna was killed giving birth to him. 'Ill Made' could be a reference to being a dwarf or it could be a reference to him being a bastard. It could also suggest that The Mad King actually raped her as her marriage to Tywin was a happy one. Would Tywin have stood back and let this happen to his beloved wife without taking revenge? Is this why after Robert's Rebellion that Elia Martell was raped and murdered by The Mountain? Despite giving Tyrion the Lannister name, Tywin is hellbent on not letting him inherit anything and is happy to put him in dangerous situations where he could die. If Tywin really believes that Tyrion is The Mad King's why did he let him live at all? Was he worried that killing Tyrion might confirm to the gossips that Joanna had been with another man? Or was he in denial about Tyrion's parantage as he was over the gossip about Jaime and Cersei? His final words to Tyrion are 'You're no son of mine.'    

Anyone else love the idea of Dany, Jon and Tyrion as three dragon riders???!!! I shall be paying great attention to everything said in the rest of the books!

6 comments:

  1. YES YES YES! Please make Tyrion a Targaryen! I would love for him and Jon to be half siblings - of course Dany too but she got on my nerves the last 2 episodes and I clearly haven't forgiven her. You have some great theories here and I totally forgot how the dragons acted around him and what he said! Please I hope you are right. I want these three to rule the world together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much want him to be part Targaryen! I just love the idea of him being a dragon rider! I just thought the dragons were too relaxed around him as he is a stranger to them. Maybe Drogon was flying down to give Jon a sniff too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you really put a lot of thought into this. Tyrion is one of my favorites, so I’m just hoping he stays alive.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping he stays alive too. I want him, Jon, Davos and Sam alive at the end!

      Delete
  3. I think there's a good chance he is a Targaryen. I think the biggest clue is the dragons' reaction to him, but thr whole Aerys/ Joanna thing has caused me to wonder over the years. I think if Aerys did sleep with Joanna it was probably rape, which may be why Tywin sacked KL when Varys opened the gates. Plus we know from A Storm of Swords that there was resentment over Aerys' treatment of Jaime- you'll see all that in book three. VERY interesting.

    I actually hope he's NOT a Targaryen myself, becasue that would almost seem too convenient. As cool as it would be. :) So I hope not, but again the dragons reactions to me are mystifying if he's NOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to book three! Maybe get to that next week if things go well. I see next week Drogon meets Jon so I look forward to that! If Drogon likes Jon that would suggest Tyrion is a Targaryen as the other dragons liked him. I can't WAIT for next Monday to get watching the next one!

      Delete