Saturday, 5 August 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Not a wildly successful week overall. Two books completed and one short story which is poor but I've been in sloth mode so not caring about doing much to be honest! On the bright side it does mean I'm one book away from finishing the Morganville Vampires series, which I'm pleased about. One down, many to go! But I'm trying not to think about that! In my defence though, I was skimming through the first Game of Thrones book to look for things to put into my recent posts. On the TV side of things my dad is fully up to date with Game of Thrones and we are talking endlessly about plots and theories! It is so much fun! Watching Masterchef Australia season 9 is taking up too much of my reading time at the moment but I am enjoying it! On the down side the football season starts today which means another season of panic...
 
A quiet week on the book buying side of things with two paperbacks I ordered a week or two ago arriving. However a few birthday gifts did make their way into the house...ahem! Blogging on the whole went well so more about that later in the post. I am however, going to have another try at getting healthy. I am switching from fizzy drinks to Sodastream which has no additives and fewer calories. I've got a few other gadgets in mind like ice cream maker-mainly to do sorbets and foozen yoghurt, one of those JML slicing and dicing things to persuade me to use more fruit and veg in preparing meals, a very cheap deep fat fryer-yes I know not healthy but my dad so much wants crunchy chips instead of these soggy french fries! I'll be making more soups as well especially in winter. Plus I start my exercise regime tomorrow! I might do a weekly post about my successes and failures in and out the kitchen. And there WILL be failures as I'm not a great cook! My poor dad will be guinea pig...
 
DOWNLOADS:
 
  
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

GIFTS:
Two Game of Thrones T Shirts. The white one is a recreated film cover of Reservoir Dogs but features Jon, The Hound, Tyrion, Sam, Dany and Arya! Each T Shirt was about £9 on Amazon! For years I've wanted to get a shiny version of the three wise monkeys but only found one online. These are birthday gifts from my dad!


Chuckles Blogging World:
Blogging went fine this week. Had to stop following a few blogs where the owners just weren't interacting with me. Having limited time I want to focus on those who visit my blogs occasionally or regularly. Blog post wise, I'm still 3 weeks ahead in most of my weekly posts. I'm feeling happier with the balance of things. As always, a link is provided for each blog post from last week to take you straight to anything you missed. Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog! Check out my Next Week section to see what is coming... 
 
Book Reviews: 
  I actually managed to get some book reviews done! I'm writing up a few different ones from June at the moment but I'll be posting a mixture from June and July, whatever I feel like. Each review does state when I read the book, right above my star rating for those who are interested!
 
Nicholas Sansbury Smith-Extinction Evolution (EH #4)

Steve Alten-Meg
 
Rachel Caine-Fade Out (Morganville Vampires #7)
 
Rachel Caine-Kiss Of Death (Morganville Vampires #8)

Rachel Caine-Ghost Town (Morganville Vampires #9)
 
Jack Kilborn-Trapped

Regular Features:
This week on Cover Love I featured Mari Mancusi, I brought you the best of the bloggyverse in Around The Blogs With Chuckles, Top Ten Tuesday continued my look at the Urban Fantasy Series, Can't Wait Wednesday I featured Graveyard Shift which looks great!  I also continued with my new feature where I share a few thoughts on book samples I've downloaded, called Chuckles Goes Sampling. In that I looked atThe Dragon Lords, Demon Hero, Born a Witch and Demon Moon.

Chuckles Cover Love-Mari Mancusi
 
Chuckles Goes Sampling

Around The Blog With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-UF Series I Want To Start
 
Can't Wait Wednesday-Graveyard Shift

Discussion Posts: 
Chuckles Chat this week looked at the ups and downs of Bad Reviews, while  my Game of Thrones Gossip looked at Arya Stark! I also reviewed episode three of my Game of Thrones Season 7 analysis and did an extra post on tyrian: Lannister or Targaryen.
 
Chuckles Chat-Bad Reviews

Game of Thrones Gossip-Arya Stark

Game of Thrones Review: Season 7 Episode 3
 
Game of Thrones-Tyrion: Lannister or Targaryen?

Special Features: 
none this week

Book Tags: 
none this week

Book Challenge Updates:
 
New-To-Me July Challenge Final Update 
 
August Reading List
 
My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 158/250. I read and finished five books, DNFed one which was boring me plus I read more book samples.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 802. *grimaces* I hope the sampling for the second half of the year instead of impulse buying helps. My total hasn't gone up in three weeks which is something!
 
Currently Reading/Next Up: 
I finished reading 'Damned If I Do' which was a decent enough read, read prequel short story 'Death Magic' which I liked and four more samples. Next up is the last book in the Morganville Vampires series along with the last few stories in the anthology, and then I think I'll tackle 'They Rise'. I need some horror this week!
 
 
Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features Deborah Blake, Top Ten Tuesday features part 2 of my Urban Fantasy TBR list, Can't Wait Wednesday features some Sookie Stackhouse, Game of Thrones Gossip features the Battle of the Blackwater, Chuckles Chat looks at Authors Replying Back. There will also be a Game of Thrones special post on S7 Ep 4 to enjoy and reviews of samples from my ereader! Maybe even something extra GoT related...

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with getting healthy! I’ve been trying, but it’s hard because I love food too much. Yesterday, I ran 4 miles and then ate an ice cream sandwich. I probably put back in all the calories I burned.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the medication I'm on it could well be impossible but I want to give it a try! I love ice cream but plan to switch to making my own sorbets and frozen yoghurts for a tasty treat. I've tried every way to make crunchy chips in oven and grill with no success so a very cheap deep fat fryer should take care of that! I don't think I could have resisted the lure of the ice cream sandwich either...!

      Delete
  2. Falling Sky sounds interesting! Hope you enjoy. And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit different from my usual reads but it was prompted by wanting to read Hell Divers!

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoy your Shea books this month. It's so cool your dad is now caught up with your GoT addiction. Have you considered getting an air fryer? My Mom got Mr. Barb one two Christmases ago when he was diagnosed pre-diabetic. Best fries ever and no grease! Plus it makes tons of other things - it's the best way to make chicken breasts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great being able to talk to my dad about theories and stuff now! He reckons Bran will use his warg abilities to control the dragons which sounds pretty good! An air fryer wouldn't really get the use in my house. I do my cooking in the cooker or microwave generally so the deep fat fryer would be just for chips, onion rings, fritters and maybe deep fried batter prawns! I'm grabbing a deep fat fryer for under £10 and it's nice and small so that would be good in my tiny kitchen! To give you an idea how tiny it is I have NO kitchen worktops. My food prep surface is the chopping board on top of the washing machine!

      Delete
    2. OK, that is small. However, I can't say much because our air fryer lives on top of the dryer.

      Delete
    3. Whoever designs kitchens for houses obviously has no clue how much space is needed!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to see you're deciding to give Bait a try! Like I said, I'm very curious about it...someone had recommended it to me after they saw that I enjoyed Shark Island. I'll be looking forward to your review, you're going to have to tell me ALLLLL about it :D

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to have a deep blue terror week after next weekend so I'll be reading Bait and Shark Island, a couple of sea monster things as well and hopefully, watching a few shark films!

      Delete
  5. Eating healthy is hard! I like soups in winter too, and good luck with your goals! Love the look of Falling Sky, and that Hold the Door shirt is awesome. :)

    Midnight Bites and They Rise- LOVE those covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of nice thick soups for winter, hot meals and good TV! Oh I love that Winter Is Coming! I couldn't watch 'The Door' with my dad so I was blubbering in the kitchen instead! That episode gets me in the guts every time so I kind of HAD to buy the t-shirt!

      HODOR!!!

      Delete
  6. Bait was dark, but such a good read. As for your review of Meg, I agree, but he does get better as his books go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading Bait maybe at the weekend. I plan on a week of sharks and sea monsters! Lots of films like Five Headed Shark Attack and Sharknado and some good books!

      Delete
  7. Hello reading sloth :) your "sloth mode" is still more productive that most including me :) Glad to hear you are starting an exercise regime! That's always good for body, mind and soul. I know already I'm gonna love your posts kitchen's successes and failures. I hope you post about your exercise regime too. I'm sure I'm learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll probably learn what NOT to do from me! *sniggers* I got my exercise for the day trailing round two supermarkers, grousing because they moved the cheese coleslaw again! I'm trying to work out where to fit it into the week though. Maybe not this week as I haven't got all my devices yet!

      Delete
  8. I think I also have a copy of Bait around here somewhere. I think it sounds pretty good. Good luck on changing up your eating habits. It is tough but worth it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for Bait. Hope to be reading it around the weekend. I've lined up some films about sharks to watch then as well! I've got a pile of friut and salad stuff in for this week and some of it looks very tasty...

      Delete