Friday, 25 August 2017

Chuckles Chat #31 Favourite Things To Watch as Teenager/Adult

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published!

This week I continue talking about tv tastes by looking at what we watched on tv as teenagers and adults.

The popularity of satellite and cable in the 1990's opened us up to a whole new world of entertainment and UK channels started to show a ton of US imports. I started to watch Buffy, Angel, Twin Peaks, Friends, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, and a lot more. I was also watching more sport especially winter sports, cricket and darts which kept me really entertained! This was during my spell of not reading much due to the demands of college, then work. Nothing like that to suck the joy out of your leisure time!

By 2000, it soon became clear that there were so many tv options that I couldn't keep up with things! There were reruns of old favourites and so many new shows that you just couldn't watch them all. I would start a series and like it but within a week or two, I'd forget about them and be weeks behind and then give up. It was around this time that I started to rediscover my love of books which put paid to hours in front of the TV! I discovered great things through the 1990's and 2000s like The West Wing, Alias, Lost, 24, NCIS, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, The Shield, The Tudors, V (original series), Prisoner Cell Block H. Most recently, I have become addicted to Game of Thrones!

There is also my obsession with reality tv...by that I don't mean things like Big Brother and the darn Kardashians. No I mean reality as in dangerous jobs and things with real people. I love watching people do jobs that would scare the living crap out of me! I love cookery competition ones, people on oil rigs, drilling, mining, fishing, logging etc. My favourites include Deadliest Catch, Bering Sea Gold, Ax Men, Masterchef UK, Masterchef Canada, Masterchef Australia, Masterchef New Zealand, Gold Rush, Yukon Gold, Wicked Tuna...I love things about cooking, fishing and gold hunting! Do you watch any kind of reality tv?

But with so much choice (and so little time!) there are lots I haven't even started yet or that I have to catch up with like Homeland, Strike Back, Hannibal, Elementary, Scandal, House of Cards, Nikita, Grimm, The Walking Dead, Arrow, The Flash, Agents of Shield, Supernatural, Lost Girl, Sanctuary, Prison Break, Sleeper Cell, The Crown, Vikings, The Newsroom, The Following, The Blacklist and a lot more! Now that depresses me! I know I keep saying that I need to get watching more stuff and never seem to do it but I really will have to!  

What did you enjoy as a teenager? What are your favourite shows now? What do you want to watch and haven't had time for?

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! I am 5 seasons behind on Supernatural and 3 behind on Once Upon a Time. I'm addicted to Law & Order SVU and used to have a bad addiction to Gimore Girls. In fact, Mr. Barb HATES that show and he swears I've seen every episode at least 3 times. I really want to binge some Sy-Fy shows this winter - Lost Girl and Van Helsing. We used to ADORE The Shield. We've seen all of them and I was sad to see it end. As a teen, I used to watch The Simpsons with my Dad (in fact, I tried not to get Friday college classes so I could drive home Thursday nights and watch it with him). I do consider The Simpsons an adult show. I also need to watch The Defenders and finish Jessica Jones. I loved Haven when it came out but wasn't thrilled with the last season. I do miss it though now that it's gone. Great discussion. Did you ever watch "OZ." It was one of the first "prison series" out years ago. It was really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping now that I'm getting films watched that I might feel like catching up on tv series next! In fact the reason I chose GoT in October last year was because each series had 10 episodes and I could get through it quicker! Turns out I made a good choice. I loved the first four seasons of The Shield but wasn't keen on series five so I haven't seen much of the rest of it.(Did see what Shane did and HATED him for it)OZ is one of the many on my ever increasing list! SF and supernatural ones are my faves but I love these terrorist plot ones too!

      Delete