Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: All Time Favourite Authors

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

It's funny, I thought this would be a really easy topic to do but I found it harder than I expected! There are a lot of authors where I have loved a series they did but not tried other books they have written yet, series where I've read and loved a couple of books but not finished the series and others where I loved certain books of theirs but hated others. Hmmm, how to choose! I think I might be basing my choices on 'if this author releases new books, do I want to read them?' and including authors that influenced my reading.
1) JK Rowling
This was a no brainer really. Harry Potter is my favourite ever series and what she has done with the Pottermore site for fans is pretty awesome! If only she would would write those prequel novels...I haven't read any of her adult books yet as they are not my favourite genres but I do plan to give them a try.
2) Patricia Briggs 
I am a massive fan of the Mercy Thompson series and out of the books published so far, I've given a 3 star, a 4 star and seven 5 star reviews (includes the Homecoming graphic novel). I'm excited for the new anthology and plan to go and give another chance to the spin off series.
3) Kelley Armstrong 
I liked the Women of the Otherworld series though I felt that 4 of the books lacked the appeal of the others. However I am still getting very excited over these hardback novellas with new Pack stories that keep coming out and the Otherworld anthologies so join my list Kelley!
4) Jeaniene Frost 
The Night Huntress novels kept up such a high standard and the supporting characters were great. Wasn't as keen on the spin off novels but the main series I will go back and read many times! I'll be interested to see what else she is planning!
5) Suzanne Collins
I've only read The Hunger Games but it was such an amazing trilogy and I so wanted to sit up all night to finish them that I had to include her on my list. Will be interested to see if any other dystopian novels come from her pen...  
6) Richard Laymon 
These books were always fun to read-simple horror stories that are straight to the point and don't get too descriptive. As a student, I could not get enough of reading these books and quite a few are still sitting on my shelves.
7) Stephen King
This was the guy who got me into reading horror and through him discovering how cool vampires and werewolves were! He led me to others like Richard Laymon and two of my all time favourite books 'IT' and 'The Stand' are by this author. Haven't had a great time with a lot of his books but he was an important part of my mid teens and led me to other reading adventures.
8) Enid Blyton 
I could not get enough of Enid Blyton when I was a kid and she wrote so many great series...Famous Five, Find Outers, Wishing Chair, Malory Towers, Naughtiest Girl...ooh I loved them all! I spent every summer at the library back then! 
9) Philippa Gregory
I was recommended 'The Other Boleyn Girl' by a friend which began my love affair with the Tudors. I loved it and 'The Boleyn Inheritance' so much that I started watching history documentaries, The Tudors tv series and reading many more books. I have found her books hit and miss sometimes but have enjoyed others such as 'Wideacre'.  
10) ZA Recht 
This was the author who really began my love affair with zombies in print and it is still the best zombie trilogy EVER! I'd always loved zombie films but this series was so awesome that it made me want to read every zombie book out there! Sadly, the author's death means that there will be no more great books from this talented writer.

24 comments:

  1. Yay for Stephen King! Amazingly your list is the only other one I've come across (so far) this morning that includes him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected a lot more Stephen King mentions on the list. There are a lot of his books I didn't like but I couldn't miss him out when he got me into the horror genre! I was 12 when I read 'IT', mainly because I loved the cover on the copy my dad got out of the library!

      Delete
  2. Stephen King was on my list as well. I almost did JK Rowling, but as I only like her Harry Potter, and not her newer stuff, figured maybe I would leave her off. So hard to choose!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it harder to decide HOW to organize who got on my list than choosing the actual authors. I'm annoyed at forgetting Roald Dahl though...

      Delete
  3. A lot of these authors would have made my list, but I did YA authors only for this one. I love Jeaniene Frost and Kelley Armstrong. How could I have forgotten Suzanne Collins? And JK Rowling? Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    PS- I know the Morganville series is daunting (don't worry, I still have a few left to read), but each one ends on a cliffhanger so it makes you want to grab the next one. I took a tiny break and I'm going to try to finish them in one shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a nice cliffhanger if I have all the other books in the series ready to read!

      Delete
  4. I forgot all about Jeaniene Frost. At my last job, we used to devour her books and pass them around. Several of us couldn't get enough of Bones and let's face it, Kat is up there with Mercy and Elena for me when it comes to female leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can you say about Bones...hot, sexy, looks after Cat...and in my head he looks like Spike from Buffy...! I do love books with strong female characters and good supporting characters and the three you mentioned certainly fit the bill.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore Philippa Gregory. I could have put her on my list too. Thank you for stopping by my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two Boleyn books are in my top ten all time books I think! My Tudor obsession came from there!

      Delete
  6. I've read a few of Stephen King's novels and really enjoyed them!! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were certainly a good few I liked-IT, The Stand, Carrie, Salems Lot being my top ones.He's very clever at bringing what seems like small unrelated things together and weaving it into a plot the way he did with Needful Things. That was a clever book.

      Delete
  7. I would love to read more of Suzanne Collin's books, I have just read The Hunger Games too!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the other series she wrote just sounded too young for me. I'm watching with interest to see if she publishes something else.

      Delete
  8. Nice list! I should have made an honorable mention for authors like Suzanne Collin, and Steven King...I really enjoy reading both authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many good books and authors out there to choose from! I blame them for the size of my tbr!

      Delete
  9. JK Rowling was on my list too (and nearly everyone else's it seems!). If I'd had more space I would have included Suzanne Collins and Enid Blyton was also one of my favourite childhood writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a book devourer when I was a kid...and there was always more Enid Blyton as soon as I finished one book! She was great. I know the books will be outdated now but I'm a bit curious to try a few anyway.

      Delete
  10. Great list, some really brilliant authors on there. Jk made my list too... in the number one spot OF COURSE! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get round to reading The Casual Vacancy to see what it is like. I've stayed away from reviews and things so I don't have much of an idea what it is about.

      Delete
  11. Enid Blyton was amazing when I was a kid. Though I'd be scared to revisit now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't uploaded any of my childhood books until recently so maybe that's an excuse to dig a few of these books out of the loft and dust them off! I feel the urge to read the Five Find Outers again!

      Delete
  12. And I'm ashamed to say I have yet to read almost all those authors. lol. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a mixed bag to cover most of my reading tastes through the years!

      Delete