Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Amusing Sidekicks!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 

This is a wildcard week so to speak so I'm choosing 'Top Ten amusing sidekicks' from series I enjoy. I like a good MC but I love a snarky animal sidekick or a wisecracking paranormal creature. So here are ten of the best.

1) DD Barant-Dying Bites: Charlie the Golem
I love Charlie. Don't call him a Golem, he prefers the term 'Mineral American'. He's tough, he's witty, he wears sharp suits and a fedora! His relationship with Jace is good and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
2) Sonya Bateman-Master of None: Ian the Djinn 
Ian is a Djinn and he is not impressed to have Gavyn, a small time crap crook as his master. Ian is sarcastic, impatient and very funny. This pair are great to follow along with other great characters to make a good urban fantasy read.
3) Laura Bickle-Embers: Sparky the Salamander 
Anya is a ghost eater and fire officer with a very cute salamander familiar called Sparky. He loves to chew on anything electrical and causes chaos in hospitals and other places where he runs riot. He is such a rascal and I love him!
4) Kevin Hearne-Hounded: Oberon the Irish Wolfhound 
Oberon is a loyal dog who can communicate with his master. He is also somewhat obsessed with sniffing butts and French poodle orgies. He is so funny and I love all the interactions with his master Atticus.
5) Christina Henry-Black Wings: Beezle the Gargoyle 
Beezle is a devoted and loyal gargoyle who happens to be very grumpy a lot of the time! He is so cute and adorable and I love his relationship with Maddy.
6) CE Murphy-Urban Shaman: Gary the senior citizen
We have a skin walker feroine and her sidekick is an unfit taxi driving senior citizen and I LOVED this! Gary is kind and funny and makes you think of your own grandad out on an urban fantasy adventure!
7) RL Naquin-Monster in my Closet: Maurice the Closet Monster
Maurice is my ideal man-he cooks banquets, he cleans, he is tough and scary, he's funny and loyal and he happens to be a Closet Monster! I love this guy so much and he is my very favourite book sidekick!  
8) Lucy A Snyder-Spellbent: Palimpsest the Ferret 
I love this ferret. He is cute, smart, funny and sarcastic and has more brains than poor Jessie! They make a really great partnership and there are lots of funny moments.
9) Jaye Wells-Red Headed Stepchild: Giguhl the Demon 
This guy is so funny! He is a demon assassin sent to kill Sabina but ends up with an addiction to the shopping channel before being turned by accident into a hairless cat! He is so funny.
10) James Todd Cochrane-Max and the Gatekeeper: Grandpa Joe 
I love Grandpa Joe! He's kickass, he guards a portal, he does magic and fights monsters! He teaches Max all about his destiny and it it is so great to see older heroes in fantasy fiction!





12 comments:

  1. Great topic! I definitely have to check out Sparky the Salamander, he sounds like a great character. I completely forgot about Beezle, he is my favorite part of that series. I need to read the Kevin Hearne series. I have read two short stories with Oberon and loved both. He also sends out tweets on twitter from time to time. Thanks for helping my list grow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sparky! I imagine him like a sort of dragon puppy being told off for chewing things! I love sidekicks like Beezle who are just really cool!

      Delete
  2. Love this topic! Sidekicks are often more colorful than hero/heroines, thus more memorable. I haven't read any of your books (although RED-HEADED STEPCHILD would fit in with the topic I chose for this week), but it sounds like they feature some great sidekicks.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of the heroine or hero having a faithful and funny gang around them like Buffy did. It gives more character development and fun to the plot.

      Delete
  3. I love this topic! But I haven't read any of these books, so I'm going to have to check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like kickass characters, funny sidekicks, action and some humour then these books might be just your thing!

      Delete
  4. I love this topic choice! I have a few of those in my (massive) tbr pile. Red-Headed Stepchild and Spellbent are two I've really wanted to read. Awesome list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ferret in Spellbent is very funny! I'd love to have a talking ferret sidekick...

      Delete
  5. Sidekicks are awesome! Fantastic choices! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's making me want to reread every book on this list which is an issue when my tbr is getting towards a critical level again...!

      Delete
  6. Once again, some good ideas from this for books my sister might like. *grin* I like your topic -- now I'm thinking about who I'd pick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a kickass heroine or hero with a group of Buffy type helpers or animal familiar!

      Delete