Saturday, 18 April 2015

Stacking the Shelves #80


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews
Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress so you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me! 

This week I feel I have got back on track in more ways than one. I used to go for day out drives in the car with my parents-visiting new places, pigging out on junk food and having a great time. Since my mum's death last June I have just wanted to sit inside and blog or read as I felt guilty about the thought of going out without her and having fun. It has taken me until these last two weeks to realise that I should not feel guilty and that I can go out and have fun for the day with my dad. So we went on two trips last week, and visited a new place yesterday. It was a beautiful day and the scenery around Loch Long was gorgeous. We also saw a submarine, a few HUGE oil tankers, a couple of naval bases and soldiers out running down the road on a march! I love all things military so it was great getting to chance to see all this and get waves from the soldiers! That and cheese toasties by the lochside made for a good day and lots of great photos! 

This first photo shows the submarine being repaired at the naval base. I love military ships, planes and submarines so this was pretty cool.


This next photo is taken from the east shore of Loch Long about an hour from where I live. The scenery is stunning with the loch and the mountains.


This is a view down the loch from Arrochar, at the far end of the  loch where we stopped for lunch.


And these are the mountains around Arrochar which are gorgeous!


And this is one of my beloved toy monkeys-Pedro, enjoying a chat with the carved 'Bodach' (a Scottish mythology bogeyman) on the loch side of Arrochar! I take one of my monkeys on every trip!


This week I also started getting back to enjoying my reading so I feel as if things are settling down after the stress and insomnia period. When reading stops feeling fun it is horrible! I've been concentrating on reading the last of my Tudor books on the tbr as they have been sitting there the longest. I got a couple of Kelly Armstrong hardcover novellas complete with gorgeous artwork inside! These books are a must for fans of the Otherworld series Pack. I haven't read Forbidden yet so I'm excited to get to it. I also picked up an interesting sounding series for download which I hope to get to after the Tudor stuff.
 
DOWNLOADS:
 
 
 
BOUGHT HARDBACKS:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

38 comments:

  1. It's lovely that you had such a nice time with your Dad! :-) I'm glad to read that your reading is getting back to normal too. Have a great weekend! My haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both love photography and good scenery so we like these kinds of places! I'm pleased that the reading has picked up a bit. Relief!

      Delete
  2. I can understand that it has taken you a long time to be able to go out and do the things you loved to with your mother. But I'm sure she'd love to know that the tradition continues!
    Your pictures are gorgeous. I want to come visit Scotland so badly, it's way up on my bucket-list of travel :)
    Those Kelley Armstrong books look good, I need to check if I have them on my TBR already or if I should add them.
    Enjoy your new books, have a great weekend and happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexxie! It has been a hard road but I feel better about continuing with things like this now. If you decide to come to Scotland at any point and you want some ideas of places that suit your interests, don't hesitate to ask.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes we need to get away to get back on track. It's important that we don't let stress and other things that happen In RL get us down. The places you went really are very stunning scenery. Heard good things about the Deborah Blake series. Enjoy your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty great to have such lovely scenery so close to home. We stay about 40 minutes away from the Loch Lomond and Trossachs area which is gorgeous. On a nice day I find it relaxing being beside the water!

      Delete
  4. Great pictures! I have the first BLake book but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe soon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always saying I hope to get to a particular book soon but it doesn't happen fast enough! I do need to find more reading time!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these but I love Kelley Armstrong. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving these Pack novellas! I've got two more to add to next week's haul...

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're getting out and enjoying yourself, and even happier that reading is fun again. Those are beautiful pictures. Nice book haul, I hope you enjoy them. Happy reading!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a decent week all in all. Now I need to get some reading done AND have some chocolate!

      Delete
  7. Great haul this week! I've not had the best luck with Kelley Armstrong's books for some reason, though I've just read her YA. I may have to check out her adult!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't liked Kelley Armstrong's YA books but I did enjoy the Women of the Otherworld series. Some of these novellas are better than some of the full length books!

      Delete
  8. Hee, nice photos! And haha, one of my Build A Bear teddies has that hoodie too! (She's a firefox. But she's got a Toothless the Dragon hoodie on at the moment.)

    I really need to read more of Kelley Armstrong's stuff. Hope you like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have about 22 Build A Bear monkeys! I love taking them out in the car for a bit of a laugh. A few of my boys need new clothes so I might need to deal with that this month...

      Delete
  9. Great photos.

    I'm not familiar with these books but they look good. Hope you enjoy them.

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Diane, have a good weekend!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you were able to get out and about. My dad passed about 2 years ago and it is never easy. Nice haul and I live your monkey pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your dad Barb. I'm very close to my parents and it was a bit of a shock to have my mum having a few weeks of back pain and being told it was terminal cancer. It's been a struggle but what can you do-you just have to get on with it I guess. Not easy some days but we're getting there!

      Delete
  11. My mum passed away from cancer too, seven weeks after diagnosis, so have been in your shoes too. It took me a long time to contemplate doing things by myself that I had done with her but I'm gradually getting better at it. And I'm so envious of you getting to live in Scotland! I went to uni in Edinburgh but I am definitely planning on living a bit further north just as soon as I can :)

    Enjoy your new books and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your mum. Cancer is a really evil disease in what it does to the patient and the family. It's such a cliche but the only way through it is 'one day at a time'.

      I'm lucky that although we live near Glasgow, there are a lot of great places within an hour or so that are so beautiful! I hope to get to come back up here soon!

      Delete
  12. I am so happy to hear like you're feeling back on track. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to lose your mom, but it's a good thing to go out and have fun again! Your pictures are really pretty and it looks like an amazing place! And that's so fun you take one of your monkeys with you, what a cute picture! I hope you'l enjoy your new books and yay for those two Kelley Armstrong books. I was lucky enough to have won a copy of Forbidden, but I haven't read Brazen yet. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might start doing a travel blog post each week, showing off my country a bit with all the places we've visied on day trips and holidays. I can show off my monkeys as well! It is nice to feel as if I'm moving on though I do get moments of guilt about it but I guess that's normal.

      I've read Brazen and Forsaken on ebook and had to grab those beautiful hardbacks! I also got Forbidden in hardback which I hope to read this week and the Bounty Hunt graphic novel! Excited! I hope there are lots more Pack adventures to come...

      Delete
  13. Some nice pics! We had an old Canadian submarine get towed through the locks last year on its way to a museum and there were hundreds of people who showed up to see it. Very cool stuff (even if we didn't get inside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen that Bob...I've always loved military transport and like getting the chance for photos. During one of the war games my dad got some fantastic close ups of a submarine on the surface near the shore. I must look them out.

      Delete
  14. That's great that you decided to go out. It looks like it was a beautiful day that I'm sure your mom is glad you experienced. :) Hope you enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! It was a good day and thankfully I have more good days than bad days now. It was a bit cold by the water but that's not unusual here in the spring-but at least the sun was out!

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful spot to visit! Love the covers of those Kelley Armstrong books as well!
    Check out my STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love exploring new places...I've been poring over maps of the Loch Long area looking for other places to go to. Just hope the weather holds up this week to let us get out!

      Delete
  16. I love your pictures - I sometimes forget just how lovely Scotland is (the downside of living here). I have never actually been to Loch Long - will need to rectify that. :)

    I am really sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum last May (also to cancer) and it has been a really hard time. Some days are really difficult and other days are more tolerable. It does get easier though. I am glad to hear that you are starting to feel more like your old self. *hugs*

    Brin @ Brin's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mum...my mum died in June so it looks like we have had similar experiences. It's amazing how guilty you can feel for getting out and having fun even when you know it's not a crime. As you say some days are better than others. I'm sending a big hug right back at you! *hugs*

      Delete
  17. Good to hear you got out with your dad. This sounds like a nice way to remember your mom too. And I'm sure your dad treasures the times together. :)

    Lovely pictures and some great sounding books. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! We're already planning our next trip!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I do enjoy a bit of amateur photography.

      Delete
  19. I love these photos! I'm glad you had fun on your trip :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day out! It's nice to have a bit of fun again!

      Delete