Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish
in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of
2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to
bring bookish friends together. http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/top-ten-tuesday/
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week is about platonic relationships that I enjoyed reading about.
1) Gavyn & Ian (Gavyn Donatti by Sonya Bateman)
Gavyn is a petty and hapless thief who inherits a djinn protector that doesn't like his task. The relationship is snarky and funny with lots of action thrown in for good measure. This is one of my top 5 favourite urban fantasy series and book 3 is out now!
2) Atticus & Oberon (Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne)
Atticus is a Druid and Oberon is his faithful wolfhound that he can mentally communicate with. Oberon is obsessed with sausages and French poodles. Their relationship is very funny, and they play all kinds of word games that are amusing as well.
3) Zoey & Maurice (Monster Haven by RL Naquin)
Zoey is an empath whose job it is to help monsters with their problems, and turns her home into a protected haven. Maurice is her anxious, super baking, houseproud Closet Monster roomie. I love their friendship!
4) Jon & Samwell (ASOI&F by GRRM)
Jon is the bastard son of a well loved noble and Sam is the unwanted fat heir to his father's title when they both end up as outcasts in the Night's Watch. They forge an unlikely friendship. I loved the way Jon did everything he could to help Sam find a place in the group.
5) Frodo & Samwise (LOTR by JRR Tolkein)
There are similarities to Jon and Sam here. Samwise is devoted to his friend Frodo and is determined to protect and save him on their deadly mission to destroy the Ring of Power. Sam was just so brave and devoted-I loved the character and the friendship.
6) Sookie & Pam (Southern Vampire by Charlaine Harris)
I wish we got to see more of them interacting as I loved the sarky and dangerous Pam working with Sookie. There was a great short story about the two of them working together on a road trip and I wish we'd seen more of that.
7) Claire & Myrnin (Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine)
Claire is the college student and Myrnin is a mentally damaged, eccentric and dangerous vampire that he assists in his research. I love the dynamic of this friendship as Myrnin swings between saving, loving and trying to kill Claire!
8) Mary & Anne (The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory)
I loved reading about the Boleyn sisters and their assumed rivalry over Henry VIII. Mary is upset to be replaced by her sister in Henry's affections but it is Anne who will soon envy Mary's happy marriage...and a son. Loved the drama and angst!
9) Scott, Linda & Joyce (Countdown to Armageddon by Darrell Maloney)
How refreshing it was to have Scott and his new girlfriend Joyce getting on perfectly well with ex wife Linda instead of a lot of fighting. I enjoyed watching them and Scott's kids with Linda preparing for the coming armageddon.
10) Fitz & Apollo (Extinction Cycle by Nicholas Sansbury Smith)
Fitz is the soldier who lost his legs in combat and found new purpose fighting witha new unit in the variant wars. I loved it when he teamed up with his furry friend Apollo to tackle many dangerous missions together.
NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account.
This week is about platonic relationships that I enjoyed reading about.
1) Gavyn & Ian (Gavyn Donatti by Sonya Bateman)
Gavyn is a petty and hapless thief who inherits a djinn protector that doesn't like his task. The relationship is snarky and funny with lots of action thrown in for good measure. This is one of my top 5 favourite urban fantasy series and book 3 is out now!
2) Atticus & Oberon (Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne)
Atticus is a Druid and Oberon is his faithful wolfhound that he can mentally communicate with. Oberon is obsessed with sausages and French poodles. Their relationship is very funny, and they play all kinds of word games that are amusing as well.
3) Zoey & Maurice (Monster Haven by RL Naquin)
Zoey is an empath whose job it is to help monsters with their problems, and turns her home into a protected haven. Maurice is her anxious, super baking, houseproud Closet Monster roomie. I love their friendship!
4) Jon & Samwell (ASOI&F by GRRM)
Jon is the bastard son of a well loved noble and Sam is the unwanted fat heir to his father's title when they both end up as outcasts in the Night's Watch. They forge an unlikely friendship. I loved the way Jon did everything he could to help Sam find a place in the group.
5) Frodo & Samwise (LOTR by JRR Tolkein)
There are similarities to Jon and Sam here. Samwise is devoted to his friend Frodo and is determined to protect and save him on their deadly mission to destroy the Ring of Power. Sam was just so brave and devoted-I loved the character and the friendship.
6) Sookie & Pam (Southern Vampire by Charlaine Harris)
I wish we got to see more of them interacting as I loved the sarky and dangerous Pam working with Sookie. There was a great short story about the two of them working together on a road trip and I wish we'd seen more of that.
7) Claire & Myrnin (Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine)
Claire is the college student and Myrnin is a mentally damaged, eccentric and dangerous vampire that he assists in his research. I love the dynamic of this friendship as Myrnin swings between saving, loving and trying to kill Claire!
8) Mary & Anne (The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory)
I loved reading about the Boleyn sisters and their assumed rivalry over Henry VIII. Mary is upset to be replaced by her sister in Henry's affections but it is Anne who will soon envy Mary's happy marriage...and a son. Loved the drama and angst!
9) Scott, Linda & Joyce (Countdown to Armageddon by Darrell Maloney)
How refreshing it was to have Scott and his new girlfriend Joyce getting on perfectly well with ex wife Linda instead of a lot of fighting. I enjoyed watching them and Scott's kids with Linda preparing for the coming armageddon.
10) Fitz & Apollo (Extinction Cycle by Nicholas Sansbury Smith)
Fitz is the soldier who lost his legs in combat and found new purpose fighting witha new unit in the variant wars. I loved it when he teamed up with his furry friend Apollo to tackle many dangerous missions together.

Awww, I forgot about Sookie and Pam. I did mention Sookie and Sam because the were friends above anything else - sure that will tick off the Eric lovers. Oberon and Atticus (I will start this in 2019 - I HAVE to!) Did you know they were making an Iron Druid graphic novel?
ReplyDeleteI loved Pam and wish she had featured more heavily in the earlier books! I do agree about Sookie and Sam being a better couple as much as I loved Eric. They seem to be doing graphic novels for everything but I don't have the money and shelf space for them!
DeleteYea, if I can get them from my local libraries, I don't read them. The only one I buy is Scooby Apocalypse. The others are too expensive.
DeleteIt's a shame they are so expensive as some would be great to have in my collection! I only have a handful connected to a couple of my favourite UF series-Mercy Thompson and Women of the Otherworld. They were good!
DeleteGreat list! Jon and Sam are my favorite friends. I like that they stick together, even when everybody else hates them.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I love them in the books and the series!
Deleteoh look! You got Sookie and Sam too! I LOVE THEM TO PIECES! and every time I come here I see a comment about Atticus & Oberon and I regret DNFing that series :)
ReplyDeleteI did Sookie and Pam as it is about platonic relationships, rather than her romance with Sam. I couldn't miss Atticus and Oberon from the list though!
DeleteGreat list! I love Jon and Samwell's friendship!
ReplyDeleteI would have loved to see more of Pam and Sookie as well. Pam is such a fantastic character!
Pam is one of my favourite ever vampires! I might need to work on a list for that!
DeleteI've just added the first three books on your list to my TBR list because those friendships sound so fun! I can't wait to read them. :D
ReplyDeleteI love Maurice from Monster Haven! He might be my ideal man! He cooks, he cleans, he cares!
DeleteFrodo and Sam share a spectacular friendship! I mean, you really must be a good friend to go on a journey like that.
ReplyDeleteI loved Frodo and Sam! Sam was just so devoted to looking after Frodo and saving the mission.
DeleteMorganville is a favorite series and Myrnin is one of my fave vamps.
ReplyDeleteMyrnin was a brilliant character! I loved the bunny slippers, Bob the spider and his bad driving!
DeleteI love that you included Atticus and Oberon on here. Nothing better than a relationship between a character and his trusty dog!
ReplyDelete~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum
I love a good human and dog relationship as long as the dog doesn't die!
DeleteI love Oberon! Such a great character :) Pam is pretty amazing as well.
ReplyDeleteOberon is definitely one of my favourite ever characters!
DeleteOoh Jon and Sam- good one! And the Morganville Vampires series sounds fun, I always think about trying those whenever I feel like urban fantasy.
ReplyDeleteMorganville has a great range of human and vampire characters. I really enjoyed the series!
DeleteI recognize a couple of them. Thanks for giving me more reading suggestions.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
You're welcome!
Delete