Saturday, 24 November 2018

Prepping With Chuckles-Food Storage


Welcome to my Prepper Posts which aims to help you be ready for any kind of short or long term disaster that might come along, and showing you the importance of being ready and able to help yourself when the authorities cannot assist you. I don't claim to be an expert on these subjects but I'll tell you what I can and direct you to prepper sites for further information if you are interested. Prepping is for normal people, and I aim to give you common sense reasons for thinking about how ready you are.

If any of you looked at the Black Friday annual shopping riots, you may have been amused or horrified at the way people were behaving, tearing TVs away from each other, fighting, stampeding etc. It wasn't a pretty sight. So lets look at that scenario in a slightly different way.

Imagine that a hurricane hit and you are without power and it could be a week or more before things are back to normal. If you are prepared for it, it is a minor issue and life goes on as normal. But what about the people who only have a day or two of food, wh0o shop as they need it or rely on takeaway food? When the power goes out the first thing they'll do is head to the local shops or supermarket to get more food. What happens when most people have the same idea and panic buying begins? There will be no more food deliveries to restock the shelves and the takeaways are closed. You are going to see people fighting each other for milk and bread, and anyone trying to buy a stock of each is never going to make it to their car in one piece. The last thing you want is to risk your health getting involved in that chaos when people get desperate and steal from each other in the car park outside.

FOOD STORAGE ESSENTIALS (depending on what your family likes to eat of course and this is not a complete list)

I suggest using links to prepper websites for info about how long you can store the items for (below list)

1) PASTA
2) RICE (white stores longer than brown)
3) OATS
4) BEANS
5) SUGAR
6) APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
7) HONEY 
8) SALT
9) SPICES
10) TEA/COFFEE
11) COCONUT OIL (can replace butter, lard, margarine and stores longer)
12) POWDERED EGG/CHEESE/MILK
13) WHOLE GRAINS
14) TINNED VEGETABLES
15) TINNED OILY FISH
16) TINNED FRUIT
17) PEANUT BUTTER
18) MAPLE SYRUP
19) DRIED NOODLES
20) ALCOHOL
21) TINNED MEAT
22) JERKY

Worried about use by dates? Check this out for detail about eating after dates are up
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/expiration-dates-food/

Check out these articles on long term storage food options
https://www.foodstoragemoms.com/foods-that-last-forever/ 

http://readynutrition.com/resources/everything-you-want-and-need-to-know-about-long-term-canned-food-storage-plus-10-signs-to-look-for-when-its-spoiled_06082018/

https://homesteadsurvivalsite.com/foods-last-decades/ 

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2018/01/foods-longest-shelf-life-pantry-stockpiling-tips-need.html

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2018/01/foods-longest-shelf-life-pantry-stockpiling-tips-need.html 

https://www.survivopedia.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-shelf-life-of-foods/ 

TOP PREPPER WEBSITES
https://wellnessmama.com/
http://readynutrition.com/ 
https://www.shtfpreparedness.com/ 
https://www.survivopedia.com/ 
https://www.prepperwebsite.com/ 
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/ 

If you have a good stock of these staples in your home, you won't have to run the gauntlet of the supermarket in a short term crisis situation-and that will be good news for your whole family! Keep a full cupboard of food in addition to what is in your fridge and freezer and you'll be well set for whatever is coming!

4 comments:

  1. We have a 30lb bag of white rice that we keep on hand because of Mrs B's crohn's (white rice is the most soothing food for a flair up for her) and we're only have way through the bag and it's over 2 years old. Still right as rain. I've been eating it over the last 3 weeks and it cooks, tastes and digests just fine :-)

    I was reading through the list and I have to ask, what does apple cider vinegar do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. I have a ton of rice stored for emergencies and a lot of pasta. Pity the pasta sauces aren't as long lasting!

      ACV is good for preventing acid reflux, stomach issues, weight loss, sore throats, cold symptoms and a pile of other things. Tastes foul though!

      Delete
  2. I have a hurricane kit that is often updated. In the winter I munch the stuff and when the season comes around again I resupply it. That way I don't have to fight the hordes when one comes in! It's wild to watch the news and see stores emptied out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might need to do an extra stock up with Brexit just around the corner. If there is no trade deal with the EU at the end of March, there may be a few shortages while they sort things out so I'll be getting ready for that in January! I don't get why people wait until the last minute before storms to buy things in-it's mad!

      Delete