Wednesday, 7 November 2018

Chuckles Chuntering


The good news is that at the end of last week we got a quote for the fences which we were happy with and the guys turned up on Sunday afternoon to get started. They ripped out the front hedge ready to start the actual fence on Monday. On Monday they finished the front fence and ripped out half the hedge at the back and boy was that hard back-breaking work for them! Tuesday they got rid of the rest of the hedge and sunk the fenceposts at the back. Today they have finished the actual fence in the back garden and done the gate, and are just tidying up. I can't believe it's finally done! Relief! And they've done a really good job!

The house interior is coming along. The carpet in my room is nicely scented with Lily of the Valley Shake N Vac at the moment and the new hoover we got in a few days ago is great on the suction, and it doesn't fall over and crown you on the back of the head when you use the attachments! This week the Amazon boxes cluttering up the hall that we had stored my dad's cds in are going to the recycling place and that completes the hall. This stupid elbow is stopping me from finishing the one bit left in the kitchen which is working on the new food cupboard! I might just need to do that at the end of the week regardless to get it out the way as it is annoying me! Overall, things are looking much better. My dad is still up to his eyes in cds and it's taking longer than he thought to deal with it but he can do that at his own leisure. 


I'm getting a few things looked at this week for Scifi Month but I'm not pressuring myself to read every day and I'll just do what I feel like as the month progresses. So far, I've DNFed one, read two and struggling over whether to finish or DNF the fourth! The good thing is that I will get a few SF and dystopian books dealt with and hopefully get a few spaces on that bookshelf!

The next decision is what genres to read next. I'm toying with the idea of splitting each month into two weeks of two genres. My political NF, Tudors, apocalypse, thrillers, fantasy and urban fantasy are all crowded on my bookshelves so I need to get a few of each read and off these shelves to give them all breathing space so maybe two genres a month would get space back quicker. It does mean neglecting the ereaders for a while and they need culling too! Maybe in the new year I'll have an ereader backlog blitz for a couple of weeks!Or I might end up just selecting random books to read each month that I'm less sure about being my kind of thing and dealing with them in the hope of shelf clearing. I can't quite decide!

Before I decide on what I'm picking for next month, does anyone know of any upcoming things like Scifi month...y'know, an organised month to read fantasy or thrillers or something without lots of rules on book length and what you can and can't do? There are too many rules in COYER so I don't want to do anything like that!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the fence! I had a massive lump on my head earlier this year from my vacuum falling on me. I was trying to suck the dog hair out from under the bed and got smacked on the head for my efforts. I hope your elbow feels better soon!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy the fence is done! Oh man, it hurts when those blasted hoovers headbutt you like that! This hoover is so stable that head nutting is a thing of the past!

      Delete
  2. I'm doing the Puppy Love Challenge again in February. The rules will be like last time so basically none :) Glad the fence went well. Our kitchen is a disaster zone right now and they better get it finished quickly or I'm gonna get very very angry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get good progress on your kitchen-when that room is a disaster, it really gets in your way for everything! The fences look great so we're happy and it was done before the rain came in!

      Delete
  3. Yay for fence progress! And not just progress but it sounds completed. I hate getting hit in the head by the vacuum. It's happened far more often that I'd like to admit. Looking forward to see what you read for SciFi month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's done and I'm so happy with it! It's a relief! What is it with hoovers trying to assault the owners!

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to hear that the fence has been taking care of. Woo Hoo! It sounds like the house is coming along nicely. I hope that your elbow is feeling better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guys have made a really great job of the fence and we're delighted! The elbow won't get much better until I rest it but I can't do nothing for a few weeks!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the house is coming along nicely. I have no suggestions for challenges. I am bowing out for any more this year, but have my eye on some for next year. Maybe looking for some like your scifi would help me stay focused TBR????? :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fences look great so I'm really happy! The house looks better but there are still a few tasks to finish up but overall I'm happy. I'm toying with the idea of cutting blog posts, and catching up with all the blogs and comments every weekend to give me more time midweek to have some time off the computer!

      Delete