Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week it is Top Ten Authors I'm dying to meet. To be honest I couldn't care less about meeting authors, and overseas authors rarely venture north of London, never mind up to my part of Scotland! I'll be doing a follow up to last week where I did ten short stories I recommended. This week is Top Ten Short Stories & Novellas!

1) Sarah Dalton-My Daylight Monsters (Mary Hades #0.5) 124 pages
Mary sees things...ghosts and scary things but nobody believes her and she is now in a secure unit with troubled kids. But the kids on the ward know that the high death toll in the ward next door is not normal and that something bad is killing patients but who would believe them even if they found out who was doing it?  Excellent thriller, great characters, series prequel.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18626145-my-daylight-monsters 

2) Joseph D'Lacey-The Kill Crew 80 pages
Sheri is part of The Kill Crew, survivors chosen by lottery each night to go beyond their fortified walls to kill the zombie like creatures that threaten their survival. But when the latest mission goes badly wrong, Sheri is starting to wonder if life outside might be worth taking a chance on. Great stand alone short novella. I'd like to see more of this world.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6961338-the-kill-crew 

3) Keith C Blackmore-The Hospital (Mountain Man #0.5) 25 pages
Gus survived the zombie outbreak by retreating to a house in the mountains. Today he is seeking supplies and toilet paper in the local hospital. But there are strange noises and a new horror lurking in the dark. Excellent prequel to a four book zombie series and the perfect introduction to the anti-hero that is Gus!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16123747-the-hospital  

4) TW Piperbrook-Outage (Outage #1) 158 pages 
Abby and Rob face their first winter in their new home but a massive blizzard and their own poor planning leave them stranded as neighbours flee. They might need to risk leaving in a car not built for snow travel but lurking amongst the houses is a beast who is hungry and snow will be the least of their worries. First in a novella series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22543366-outage 

5) RJ Spears-Forget the Alamo (Forget the Alamo #1) 84 pages 
Grant is stuck in San Antonio when the zombie outbreak begins and along with a group of tourists, seeks refuge at The Alamo. But refuge soon becomes a prison when the zombies surround them and the city is about to be bombed so they need a way to escape. First in a novella series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17855774-forget-the-alamo 

6) JK Walker-Frat House of the Dead (Salt Lake after Dark) 68 pages 
Rachel is a witch with paranormal and human friends and they will need all those skills when a frat house party leads to the guests turning into zombies. For those looking for diversity urban fantasy, this could be for you. I think it is meant to be a prequel to the series but it isn't numbered.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17855774-forget-the-alamo 

7) Linda Zimmermann-HVZA Apocalypse Sale (HVZA #0.5)  
Retailers are worried that the recent plague is affecting sales so to tempt shoppers they produce a Black Death Sale at the local shopping mall. Greedy shoppers looking for bargains are about to discover that zombies love sales too... Leads on to a two book series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24379449-hvza

8) Boyd Craven-The World Burns (The World Burns) 98 pages
Blake is a hermit and prepper living on a homestead when the apocalypse comes. With his only friends beside him, they prepare to repel anyone who means them harm and they are about to see the worst of human nature. Start of an 11 book novella series/serial novel. Liked the first 7 books but felt the series lost direction in the new storyline after that.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25762811-the-world-burns 

9) Kevin Hearne-The Grimoire of the Lamb (Iron Druid #0.4) 64 pages
Atticus and faithful hound Oberon head to Egypt looking for someone who stole a book. However the goddess Bast hasn't forviven Atticus for stealing her books and sets her tribe of cats onto them. All this and a booby trapped home of a crocodile priest to break into...this was a great prequel for the Iron Druid series. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16280685-the-grimoire-of-the-lamb 

10) Mark Matthews-Zombie Dash 23 pages 
A charity fundraising zombie dash starts with the fun of fake screams and laughing runners evading the zombie volunteers. Nobody thinks anything of it when the zombie clown drags a screaming girl into the woods for real. Fun zombie short story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16124392-zombie-dash 

11 comments:

  1. I'm not super into signings although I have been to a few... and do have a few authors I wouldn't mind meeting. To be honest though I'm not really into autographs or signings. I mean my book is just fine without a signature in it lol. anyway- I like your list. The Kill Crew and The Outage both sound great (I like anyting set in a blizzard). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see The Kill Crew expanded into a full novel. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. *takes notes for my sister again* I swear, Chuckles, my sister's TBR is neverending because of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I have much more damage to do to her tbr!

      Delete
  3. What a great list. I just added The Kill Crew and Midnight Monsters to my wishlist. I made my list this week but truth be told, I'm not doing anything to meet these authors and I'm not losing sleep over not meeting them - haha. There are very few book events in my home state. I do have an author tweet me from time to time and I always think that's thrilling so I figure that's as good as it gets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of good books on the list! I need to sit and think up more posts to use when I don't like the TTT choice. I'm running out! I tend to get excited when people from the gold shows or Deadliest Catch retweet or talk to me!

      Delete
  4. oh my I feel so an inadequate bookworm now :( I don't know ANY of these writers :( How come I go around saying I'm an apocalyptic reader??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so much apocalypse indie writers that it would make your head spin! Not all of these are apocalypse though.

      Delete
  5. I recognize several and I hope you get to meet them some day.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post isn't about meeting authors. This post is Top Ten Short Stories and Novellas to try.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, can't post a message on your blog. It is demanding that I log in by Wordpress or social media account. I do not submit to things like this so I can't visit your blog and comment.

      Delete