Friday, 24 March 2017

Book Review: Megatooth by Viktor Zarkov


When the death rate of sperm whales rises dramatically, a well-respected environmental activist puts together a ragtag team to hit the high seas to investigate the matter. They suspect that the deaths are due to poachers and they are all driven by a need for justice.

Elsewhere, an experimental government vessel is enhancing deep sea mining equipment. They see one of these dead whales up close and personal...and are fairly certain that it wasn't poachers that killed it. Both of these teams are about to discover that poachers are the least of their worries. There is something hunting the whales...

Something big. Something prehistoric. Something terrifying.
MEGATOOTH! 


My Review: 
Four people are on a scientific boat trip to observe whalers from a safe distance. ManneEx has a three man crew out on an experimental mining project. Both are about to come into contact with a very intelligent super sized shark that is determined to kill them all.

I liked the characters in the book. Emily is very dedicated to the anti-whaling cause and is delighted to be invited along on the trip, where they plan to stay well away from the whalers and gather evidence of what they are doing. Steve has come along more out of interest in Emily than anything else and soon gets bored, but he seems quite genuine as a person in spite of his stalking. I liked Zoe as she seemed like a person I could get along with. It is while en route to the position of the whaler that they first see the movement in the water. It becomes clear that it is a megalodon from the size of it and it is getting closer and closer to their small boat...Over on the mining vessel are Carl, Trevor and Bo, who are getting a bit fed up with each other's company on a long trip. They put differences aside when they are called to the aid of Emily's boat and come face to face with the shark.

The shark was very cool. It is intelligent and hell bent on destruction but seems capable of planning its next move which means our survivors are trying to think of ways to trick or defeat it. We see lots of the shark, which I liked, and there is tension on virtually every page as they wait for the next attack or death. It certainly kept up a good pace as they wait and hope that the coastguard will rescue them.

The sexist rubbish that appears in the book did annoy me a bit. The men seem to think that a driven woman can't possibly ever marry as she would be too focused on other things to look after her husband and it is such a waste because Zoe is so pretty! Gah pass the vomit bucket please. So because she is pretty, Zoe must have a man to complete her in some way? Jeez. Thankfully it was just a minor thing near the start of the book but I just felt it didn't need to be there. It added nothing to the story when the main interest was people being eaten. It didn't detract from the story though.

I've now read three books by this author and I very much like his work. He knows how to write exciting plots around dinosaurs and sharks and I look forward to more from him in the future.  

Read January 2017.
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

8 comments:

  1. The whole sexish rubbish stuff would bother me too. I've always had a fondness for sharks because when I was young, Jaws was one of my father's favorite movies (that and Alien) and we would always watch it together. I try to watch it again each Memorial Day weekend (tons of channels show it then) and think fond thoughts of him. Glad you are really enjoying this author.

    Of course I also used to want to be a marine biologist but there wasn't a lot of exposure to that in very landlocked WV so I didn't get very far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaws is still one of my favourite films! I was fascinated by sharks after I saw it for the first time as a kid. If I could go back to school and start again I'd love to go into something connected to marine biology, dinosaurs or geology. I just never knew how to get into these kinds of things! I guess I'll have to live it through these books...

      Delete
  2. Not sure I'm into Shark books YET, though I like the conservationist aspects of it. AND the sexist thingy would drive me MAD! so I don't think this one is for me but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly isn't much conserving going on here, just plenty of blood and death! Heh! I like this author a lot. Loved his dinosaur book Jurassic Island.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Jurassic Island. I love reading about megalodons. Have you read the Meg series by Steve Alten. The first movie comes out this year and I can't wait to see it. Been waiting a long time. I'm reading a good one right now called The Swarm by Frank Schatzing. It's a huge one but reads fast. Whales and such rise up against man. It gets pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Jurassic Island too. That is just my kind of dinosaur read. I have the Meg books but haven't had time to read them. Meg was on my list to read this month but I'm not sure if I'll have time as it is a longer book. I love sharks! It must be all the teeth...

      Delete
  4. Ack!! That's a bigass shark! I like the look of this one. Megalodon- sweet!! I've been fascinated by marine biology too. And other than that sexist nonsense it sounds like this author has it together w/ the monsters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like bigass sharks don't we! I love shark stories. Which makes it weird that I haven't read the Meg books though. Hope to read them soon. It's a good shark plot with lots going on which kept me happy!

      Delete